- advertisement -

cost of test strips

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by vettechmomof2, Mar 8, 2010.

1. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

New insurance and they prefer the One Touch but with the Omnipod we use the Freestyle. I really do not want to carry around more items and take the chance of falsely entering a number but even with the Freestyle Promise Program we are paying $125.00/ month for our test strips now.

If we did mail order we would only save $12.00 BUT if we transfer to One Touch we will be paying quite a bit less/ month.

So, would you stick with the ease of using the Freestyle and not carrying aro8und the additional equipment?
    Or go with the cheaper route simply for cost?

Piece of mind is a biggie for me but I wante dto hear some other opinions.

2. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Is there any way for you to get the a prior auth for the freestyle strips since they work with the pump?

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I would try to go through the appeals process. If the insurance company is paying for the pods then I would fight for them to pay for the correct strips that go along with the pump they are paying for. It may take a 2nd and 3rd appeal but I bet it would be worth it in the long run.

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

This is exactly what I would suggest for you to do also! Sometimes it takes some clarification on the insurance part for them to understand. If they are paying for the pods, it only makes sense that they pay for the strips to make your life easier. What happens is they prefer the one touch, so it is what they consider "protocol" and without an appeal, you will be automatically denied, because of "protocol". Kinda like its written in stone unless someone overrides it! (hope my rambling makes sense)
    Good Luck!!!!

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Our insurance doesn't cover Freestyle strips, even though they cover the pod, so I had to get a preauthorization. The Freestyle strips cost me $50/refill (I also do mail order, so that's for 3 months), whereas all the other ones cost $30. I almost stuck with the Precision Xtra we'd been getting because I'm cheap. If it were a bigger price gap, I'd definitely go cheaper. You just have to work it out with reference to your own budget.

One Touch is the little skinny one, right? You could pop that right in the PDM case.

6. vettechmomof2

Thanks everyone.

We did go through the appeals process. That was my first step. It has failed the 2nd appeal already and I am still fighting them for the cgms so not sure how much I am going to fight on these as well. Plus I have some things I need to fight for myself. I am tired of fighting. They state that Freestyle is not a good meter so they recommend the Aviva or One Touch.

One Touch come in all sizes but the mini's are long and skinny. Doesn't fit to well with the PDM, plus we use a different case for the PDM and we already carry an extra meter around because of potential failure so that would mean 2 One Touch, plus the PDM. UGH, too much extra to carry for my daughter in my eyes.

Well, if we do mail order for 1 or 3 months it is very expensive, not a good savings for the Freestyle.

Thanks all,
    Allene

7. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Have you looked into A plus? maybe they can help?

What insurance do you have, just curious. (eta) It just baffles me that people that do not deal with these medical issues on a day to day basis can make decisions on which meters are best. Idiots!

8. Toni

Toni Banned

Hmmm. You could use the Freestyle Promise program to get some strips for when you are at school, on the go, so you don't have to carry two devices. Freestyle Promise would give $50 worth of strips, so maybe you would pay $50 out of pocket for one 100-pack of the Freestyle strips to be used only when out of the house. Depending on what your co-pay would be for the One Touch, that would determine on whether I would use the One Touch at home and possibly in the nurse's office. I might do both, using the Freestyle strips for child's convenience only.

9. vettechmomof2

My cost of $125.00 is WITH the Freestyle Promise Program.
    We homeschool but are at the dojo for hours about 5 days a week. Paying out of pocket for strips would not be cost effective either. Plus she goes to work with me somedays,etc.
    She tests often, even with her cgms.
    Thanks for the thougths though.
    Allene

10. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I dont know how true this is, but we were at our pump class the other day and the diabetes educator told me that at cost co, you can buy the freestyle strips with the freestyle promise card for only like 39.00. Like I said, I dont know if shes correct, but it wouldnt hurt to check it out! :)

11. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

I have had this issue with my RA shots. I called the drug company and asked if they had a co pay assistance program. I sent in my w2 and they ended up giving me the meds free it is worth a call anyway. Make sure you tell them you can not afford the 125 with the promise program they may be able to help.

12. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

This is a total long shot, but do you know anyone else with D who could trade strips with you? If I had this problem I know my SIL would be willing to fill her script with my strips. I would fill ours with her son's brand and we would trade strips one for one.

I hope you find a solution. Insurance is so frustrating.

13. vettechmomof2

now that might be worth a shot as well. Never hurts to try.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Allene

14. vettechmomof2

nope.
    thanks though.
    Allene