- advertisement -

Correction bolus before calibrating CGMS

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Wendyb, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

My son is on Humalog and sometimes at calibration time, his BG might be 180 and I want to correct this with some insulin. I figure it takes more than 15 minutes to get an effect from the Humalog so I go ahead and correct as well as calibrate. What do others do?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. No problem. We also predose him for meals, and as long as it is going to be at least 15 minutes before he eats, we calibrate then as well.

3. alongoria

alongoria Approved members

calibration

We do the same thing I just hoped it was right. You guys are making me feel better.....

Autumn

4. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

I do the same, although the MM help line once told me that I shouldn't. I took it with a grain of salt because they also fussed at me for letting my son wear a sensor longer than 3 days. It has always worked for us.

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we were told the only time we shouldn't calibrate is if there are arrows.

6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Yep, we calibrate and do corrections at the same time, even prebolus.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

There are actually a few cases when you should not calibrate:

1) Any time BG is changing rapidly (based on examination of data, not arrows).
    2) If you ate carbs in the past hour.
    3) If BG is very high or very low (you can cal under those circumstances if necessary, but should re-cal as soon as BG is flat and in range).

I agree with the other comments that it is probably OK to cal right after a correction
    bolus, because the insulin is not working yet. But not more than 15 minutes after the bolus.

Also please note, the arrows are not accurate and should be disregarded. There is a
    flaw in the minimed algorithm for the arrows, where the arrows seem to reflect the past
    20 minutes or so of data, rather than the current trend. For example, we often see the
    arrows pointing down, when BG is going up, if the reversal begin in the recent 5-10 minutes.
    I recommend always looking at the last several data points and determining from that what
    the trend is - not trusting the CGM to determine that for you.