- advertisement -

Correcting highs...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Nov 4, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

I'm curious at what point people correct high blood sugars?

Currently we are not to correct for a high until S is at 300. I think that's too high. I don't like her at 300, she's beastly, grumpy, emotional and out of control when she gets there. And I would guess that she doesn't like being 300 either, it can't be fun for her. I want my sweet little baby back. :(

I'm thinking that they set it so high because she still has pancreas function and she always does come back down on her own, eventually, but lately she has been running high a lot.

Do you think that number is too high? Or am I wrong, that it's ok to get 300 almost every day?

I also think we need to move her I:C ratio from 1/2:40 to 1/2:30. I think that would help too. Do you just tell the endo and CDE that you think that that's what you need to do, or do you wait for them to make the decision?

Thanks.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think when Jack was first diagnosed we corrected over 200. Now we correct anything over 120. Personally unless a child is super-insulin sensitive and not on the pump, I would not let them get to 300 before I corrected. Some kids on MDI are so insulin sensitive that it's not possible to correct them when they're lower than that, but man...300s every day would make me crazy. What is her ISF?

I think a change from 1/2:40 to 1/2:30 is too big of a jump to make at once. Maybe try 1/2 :35 first. We don't tell our endo of changes that we make between visits, and haven't after a couple of months in, but if it makes you feel better to run the change by them, by all means do so.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If you want to know what others do, my son can correct when he is 150, but he has being living with Type 1 for 13 years and is on a pump.

I would speak to your endo to ask if this upper limit could be lowered a bit. The smallest amount of insulin you can give is a half unit, so the blood sugar probably needs to be pretty high to prevent it from going way low with a correction. Tell him your daughter feels badly this high.

4. hawkeyegirl

We did dose 1/4 units while on MDI. It wasn't easy, but at that point, it was necessary.

5. januaryblue

I will definately be calling the endo, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base. It's still seems so new, and the constant highs are getting worse and worse, in part because I think she may be battling a cold.

We only do a half unit of novolog when she is 300. I just feel like i need to do more when she is 286 and about to eat 15-30 carbs. At that point I'm technically not supposed to do anything. I just hate to have her go high before I am supposed to do anything, for her sake and the sanity of the household. :(

I appreciate the input, I'll call the CDE now.

6. januaryblue

I think 1/4 units would be very helpful at this point!

7. hawkeyegirl

They really are, especially if you are giving a 1/2 unit at 300! Do you have half-unit syringes? It's possible to dose a 1/4 unit with them.

I would definitely give a 1/4 unit correction in your example of being 286 and eating 15-30 carbs. Actually, I'd probably just give the 1/2 unit correction at that point.

8. januaryblue

I left a message with the CDE and emailed her the full question, she's in today, so I should hear back. Just curious if she will have to talk it over with the endo first, so it may take a while.

We do use the 1/2 unit syringes, and I may start trying 1/4 units. Although I would be giving her shots a lot more I would guess. :(

We have started the pump process too.

9. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

We are almost in the same page, but right now we correct after 200 during the day, at night we are not allowed to correct unless she is past 350 :eek:. Although we do not see 300s that much anymore, I think 1/4 is the way to go. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Usually we correct during the daytime anything over 150, and at nighttime anything over 200.