- advertisement -

coping with changing needs during illnesses

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, May 5, 2015.

1. kail

kail Approved members

*warning-whining alert* but one question at the end

My DD is sick again. She had pretty significant febrile respiratory illness 4 weeks ago that caused her numbers to skyrocket and be unpredictable for at least 2 weeks and then I had a little over a week when we were settling down a bit and trying to fine tune things again. She was still on more insulin than she had been before illness but we were more stable. Then this weekend-about 4-5 days ago now- she got sick again. Just a little runny nose really, no fever or vomiting or anything else but her numbers went skyrocketing again. Her numbers are high and unpredictable so one time a .5u correction will drop her 150 and the next time only 40 etc (yes I know more details needed to compare but just an example). It is just so darn frustrating. I can understand that the stress in her body triggers this but its difficult to deal with in the short term when all of her ratios and correction factors fall apart on you and then in the long term it is so disheartening because each time she gets sick she ends up on higher doses of insulin during the illness and never goes back down fully to where she had been. She has been sick about 5-6 times since last October and her insulin needs have tripled during that time.

I know logically that higher doses of insulin does not mean that a child is "worse" and yet I can't help but be discouraged. Its not like she is in a growth spurt or puberty or just growing with time...that I could accept easily. Its not even the gradual emergence out of her honeymoon exactly though really I guess it is. And I know that being out of the honeymoon isn't a terrible thing either. This just feels like the virus is causing inflammation in her body that is attacking and killing off her islet cells and I can do nothing but watch it die a little more each time she gets sick. I know I am being over dramatic and yet is just one more depressing feeling on top of the frustration of 3 out of the past 4.5-5 weeks being disrupted due to illness. And its not like things are great in the healthy weeks-just easier.

Just before she got sick a month ago I had 3 weeks of fairly good numbers and a good glucose average with few lows and I was feeling pretty good about things overall. then boom. :mad:

And here I was hoping for a nice drop in our A1C to show her endo that her new dexcom (which we have had for 2.5 months) was making an objective difference.

I don't really have any questions except one: Does this happen to everyone with every illness (i.e. weeks of haywire numbers then overall increase in insulin and new ratios, ICF needed to be figured out) or is it just that she is at that time period where her honeymoon is waning so it is rockier.

2. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

So sorry you are dealing with this. Very frustrating indeed.

We have had 3 or 4 illnesses (cold, virus type) since our diagnose, and yes, every time we deal with wacky numbers. Some were worse (higher BG numbers, took longer for the BG numbers to come back to the old normal etc.). Our first cold, it took about 3 weeks for the insulin to go back close to the old settings, we thought that our honeymoon was over, but it did go back to the old levels.

Our last cold only lasted a few days, my daughter actually suffered low BG numbers almost throughout the course. We were preparing to battle highs and were totally surprised by that one.

T1D is never boring...

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We find every illness is unique. Sometimes she seems barely sick and the numbers are way off. Sometimes she looks worse but the numbers aren't as bad. It does sound to me like your dd is still coming out of honeymoon and that the bugs are killing off her insulin production. Not every illness will last that long or will raise overall insulin needs long term.