- advertisement -

Convince my endo!!!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by cassa82, Apr 8, 2010.

1. cassa82

cassa82 New Member

I have T1DM and am struggling to convince my endo that I should have a pump. I want an omnipod but doctor keeps putting it off. I am currently on MDI with Lantus and Novolog.

What is she not telling me that makes me not qualified? Is there something I can do to convince her?:confused:

I test 6 times a day, but my A1C readings have been over 8.0 a few times. I have hypoglycemic unawareness, frequent lows and highs, dawn phenomenon, etc.

Is it normal for it to be this difficult for a doctor to sign the medical necessity paperwork?:(

What kind of tasks/information did you have to do/provide to your endo in order for them to agree?

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Cassa I'm not sure why your dr is putting you off. You don't say how old you are, but you've had diabetes for quite a long time. Perhaps your endo is just "old" school and maybe you need to shop around for an endo who is up on the newest technology?

Most of our kids see pediatric endos and most of us have absolutely no problem getting pumps. Sometimes we have to wait a few months after diagnosis but usually it's not a problem at all. :)

I think the things you listed are PRIME reasons why you would be a good candidate for a pump.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

Make an appointment with the Dr. for a chat about pumps. Ask what exactly he/she needs from you for him/her to prescribe a pump. If it makes sense do it and get a pump. If he/she does not have a specific plan or if it seems off, shop around for a new Endo. In general you should know how to count carbs, how to dose for various blood sugar levels and carb amounts, some idea of how exercise impacts you, knowledge of how to correct lows without overcorrecting on a regular basis, a record of regularly checking BG levels, recording food and BG values, a desire to work long term on ways of managing your T1, including diet and insulin. Good luck. ali

4. cassa82

cassa82 New Member

Well, I just had an appointment today with a new endo and it went really really well. So, nevermind about it being difficult. I guess it was just that particular doc. Now the question is, which pump do I get! I am also getting a CGM which I've already decided on the dexcom.

I'm torn between the omnipod and the animas for the pump. So excited that my dr. said we can go ahead, it feels like Christmas morning!

5. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

That's great! You'll love using a pump!