- advertisement -

Controlling that breakfast spike

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Feb 14, 2013.

  1. shannong

    shannong Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    Messages:
    568
    My DS has really been spiking lately after breakfast. He normally eats around 8am and is staying high (16 - 20ml) or up into the 400's, but his numbers come down prior to eating lunch. But he is definitely staying high for way too long. He always does a blood check at 10am at school and he is still very high by then. He has been sick with a cold, so I think he has been less active which has not helped the spike. He normally eats mini-wheats with milk and a slice of cheese. I was pre-bolusing him by 10 minutes and the cheese used to control the spike, but not anymore. Now I've tried pre-bolusing by up to 25 minutes and seen no change.

    Do you find protein helps control the spike? or fat? or both?
     
  2. CrystalLee1003

    CrystalLee1003 Approved members

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    10
    I feed my daughter 2 scrambled eggs and turkey bacon with one slice of toast. and maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter. the protein will hold her over until lunch, I try to keep morning breakfasts low carb. Her meals are supposed to be 45 carbs or less.
     
  3. Turtle1605

    Turtle1605 Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    I found that about a year after he was diagnosed, my son's carb ratio changed drastically with his breakfast meal. His breakfast carb ratio is now 1:9, while his lunch and dinner ratios are 1:15 and 1:17. I also found that if he eats something like cereal, he needs about 60% of the insulin when he eats and the other 40% about an hour later to avoid spiking. After we arranged all of those changes, it worked great for about two months...and now we get to change it all again because he's going high again :).
     
  4. William

    William Approved members

    Joined:
    May 10, 2011
    Messages:
    102
    Mini-wheats, one would imagine, would be moderately glycemic due to the fiber but most cereals are actually highly glycemic. I asked a similar question here before and many responded they avoid cereal in the morning. Oatmeal however is low glycemic. We go with a high fiber toast instead of cereal now, soy sausage and some greek yorgurt (more protein, less carbs than normal yorgurt).
     
  5. nebby3

    nebby3 Approved members

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    923
    We go through this periodically. Here are some things i try:
    Go no or very low carb breakfasts for a while
    Give more insulin per carb at breakfast ( even if it means a morning snack will be needed)
    Really pre bolus, at least 40 min maybe even an hour
    Increase nighttime Levemir. Often part of the problem is that little basal insulin is at work at that hour

    Good luck
     
  6. nanhsot

    nanhsot Approved members

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,626
    Is this a new problem, coinciding with the cold or something that has been happening but more pronounced with the cold?

    My son has major spike issues in the mornings when he's sick, even if it's just a garden variety sniffle. Apidra has helped, prebolusing has helped, but truth be told nothing really fixes it except health. We work at wellness more than anything with lots of emergen-c, etc. As soon as his cold goes away, things normalize. Not to say you shouldn't try anything, just commiserating I suppose. For him even foods that are normally very level for him do it, nothing really helps except to avoid carbs during that time.
     
  7. mmgirls

    mmgirls Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2008
    Messages:
    6,030
    A couple of things, are you weighing out the cereal? you would be amaized at the difference in carb count when you compare weighing to a measuring cup.

    Another thing, like someone else mentioned my dd needs allot more insulin for breakfast compared to the rest of the day. right now at 8years old and 60ish lbs she is at 1:13 for breakfast compared to 1:22 the rest of the day. She has had this pattern since probably before 3years old.

    When is he getting his basal shot? and what are the before lunch numbers, what is he coming down to by lunchtime?
     
  8. shannong

    shannong Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    Messages:
    568
    When I think about it, the spiking really started happening with the onset of this cold, so I think perhaps that is it. His numbers overall are still pretty good, but the spikes after meals are greater. Anyway, I will try some of the suggestions. Thanks.
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice