- advertisement -

Control Solution for Test Strips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Oct 17, 2012.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

Hello,

We are very new to diabetes - our son was just diagnosed 2 months ago. We are running through test strips like water and am beginning to have a problem getting more through insurance. We use the One Touch meters and they package their test strips in vials of 25. We were told that everytime we open a new vial, we should use the control solution to check to make sure they are working. How necessary is this? I am asking because I am looking to conserve test strips anyway we can - we sometimes go through 12+ a day. Between checking a lot, and inevitably once (or more than once) per day we don't get enough blood in, get an error, and have to throw it away.

We ran through a 90 day supply in less than 50 days. We do not have this problem with lancets - I admit we often don't change the lancet everytime out of sheer laziness - particularly in the middle of the night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

we almost never use control solution, only when we suspect there might be a problem with the test strips. Maybe control solution once ever 6 months or so??

We change the lancet maybe once a day if we remember otherwise when we remember. :)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We only change our lancets daily (and sometimes even push the limit there) and honestly, I cannot remember the last time we used control solution. :eek:
    It's actually hard to find at times, our pharmacy has to order it, they don't always have it in stock.

I probably shouldn't be admitting this to a newbie:D

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I remember going thru alot of test strips right after Dx in January. I called our Endo's office and they sent me a box of test strips and also called in a change to our pharmacy to allow for testing of 15 times a day which gave us like 450 test strips a month

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

We never use control solution. We change the lancet when we think about it, which isn't as often as we should.

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

We don't use control solution anymore :) (didn't want to waste our precious strips ;)) and use 1 lancet couple of times. Maybe you could switch to Multiclix? I find it so much better than device with a signle lancet in it.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I will second the recommendation for the multi-clix lancet. You don't have to dea with the sharp little lancets, and you just twist to change to a new one. It is also one of the "gentlest" ones around.

We never use control solution, I don't think we even have any.

Get the endo to write a new prescription for testing 12 or 15 times a day. You're newly diagnosed and things are changing all the time and you're testing a lot. The doc should be able to override any insurance limits. It's just a matter of making the right phone call or filling out the right paperwork.

8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We use the multiclix also and I love it for the convenience and it seems to work comfortably for my son. There is no way I would trade it to deal with the little lancents in the middle of the night. :rolleyes: I asked the same question about control solution when we first started and everyone responded "no" they don't use it. We have never used it either.

9. Dan

Dan Approved members

I also do not use control solution any longer.

10. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We've never used control solution. I have to pay for it OOP and it's one cost that I just can't find, and don't feel is necessary.
    As for lancets, I don't know when DS last changed it. I do if I have trouble getting blood, but I don't test him very often.

11. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We may have used the control solution just after dx...but never since then. There are days where my dd is rushing while testing and doesn't get enough blood. I have to remind her to slow down. I really hate it when I get an error msg during night testing because dd moved her hand while I was getting meter ready or fumbling with flashlight to see the wee bit of blood. I agree with pp ask your endo for more strips. :cwds:

12. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We are 7 months from diagnosis and have never used the control solution. Not sure we even have any? We are using the One touch strips as well.

I agree with prior posters and call to have your prescription increased. I think we did that at DD's 6 week check up. We do change lancet almost every check; sometimes we use the same one for all the night checks and then change it in the morning.

13. Beach bum

We used to have this OT meter that required us to use control solution after x amount of tests. It was just long enough that it was past the 90 open date, so I had to go out and buy a new bottle. What a waste! I was so happy when the mini came out and we could toss the old one!

14. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It's been a few years since I messed with control solution. The only time I've ever really felt the need was when numbers didn't seem to match up with reality, we had one meter that would give wacky numbers (as compared to a second meter).

Lancets are never changed with any frequency here. We use multiclix and rotate it when things get dull but then it seems like that very last one stays in there for months and months!

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I think I used it years ago right after dx--like 6 yrs ago. If I get a wacky number I wash hands and test again. If I fell like I keep getting wacky numbers, well, not really sure. I guess I'd use another meter. I've never had a pot of strips go bad without knowing why--like if I left it in the car or got it wet. But like I said, I never ever used control solution.

Lancets I used to turn the barrel after every click. Now it's every few days.

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We've used control solution maybe twice in 4 years. We had problems with a couple of meters that needed to be replaced...and I used the solution only then.

As for lancets, I never change them overnight...and will often use them more than once, but do try to change them at least a few times per day. If I don't I find that they hurt my son's fingers more and cause more scarring (little black dots).

You shouldn't have a problem getting an rx for more strips...we had to do that years back as well.

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

One of the reasons for the control solution with the One Touch was the different codes on different vials of strips. All One Touch strips are coded 25 now. We haven't used solution in quite a long time.

If you really want it, try calling One Touch customer service. They've sent me some at no charge in the past. Otherwise, I've ordered it from CVS.

18. Beach bum

I think that was the last time I cracked open a bottle of cs:D

19. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Accu-chek sent free test solution when my daughter called to ask where we were supposed to buy it. That was over a year ago, so we don't have any unexpired ones either.

20. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Exactly! They went to the single code (25) so that it wasn't necessary for their customers to use control solution any more.