- advertisement -

Contour Next Link anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

The Contour Next Link arrived a week ago and so far dd likes it. I turned the sound off. She likes one less step from the freestyle (not having to input the number). Love the strip light!
    I'm interested to see if the accuracy claims hold true. I have not liked the previous linked meters, because I found the numbers varied widely on an immediate recheck.
    Any other opinions on the new meter?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Honestly, I am not a fan. I get pretty different results from one fingerstick to the next even with the same drop of blood. (99 vs. 134 today for example). Additionally it is consistently 30-40 points below my accu-chek aviva which is always very close to lab results/ A1C. Since my insurance won't pay for strips once I am done with the sample ones I am going to switch back.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

Finding quite the same.

4. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We started using the Next Link the day after our Sept. endo app't. The January A1c aligned well with our sensor and meter avg. I find the meter to sensor accuracy comparable to Aviva. IMHO, it's far superior to the prior linked meters:p

I really like the lighted display for night checks.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Love, love, love it. It's the first meter to pull me away from freestyle, which I have been using in various forms since 2002. I do wish the light were brighter.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

I've been using the Contour Next Link now consistently for almost a week, comparing to my OneTouch UltraLink specifically and another backup meter plus my Dex 7+ to double-check. I've found the Contour typically comes out pretty consistent with back-to-back tests, unlike the OneTouch that's all over the place at times. Of course, who ever "really" knows where we're at, but I'm pretty pleased with what I have seen.

Ironically, the OneTouch results are usually better and more "in-range"... so I'd LOVE to be able to rely on those as my results! Oh well.

Have massive OT strips left to use, but once I go through those I'll likely be changing to this new little USB-style guy. Just hope insurance agrees with me... ;)

7. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We really like it. It is our first linked meter and we love that feature.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Havent even used it!!! I can't find a case that's suitable at all. I need a case that will hold the meter, lancing device, strips and glucose tabs, with a mesh pocket to store used strips and hopefully a clear outside pocket to stowe Dex. I can't even fit the four things in the case it came with.

I'de love a flatter maybe rectangle shaped gluc tab, like a big Pez. Please someone make this.

And if anybody makes a case to fit these things I'll be your first cutomer. :)

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have switched to using the little craft ziplock baggies. One tiny one will hold 10 skittles and another large one will hold two glucose tabs side by side - very flat.

My son perfers this because most of the time he is stuffing his pockets. At school he uses a pencil case we found that has two zipper pockets. He uses one for pencils/pens and one for meter, strips, poker, and the "craft baggies" with skittles or glucose tabs.

Does anyone know if the strips for the contour next link come in vials of 25? I filled them at the pharmacy last month and they gave me vials of 50. I am going to call before I fill it this month to see if I can get the smaller amount. Our one touch 25 count vials of strips are smaller than the 50 count ones for the contour next.

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Several weeks in and so far the biggest bonus is having so many more BG readings stored in the pump. I definitely want a second meter because it is a PITA having to track down the one meter. Also DD likes it not just because of the convenience, but because it really does look high tech and cool.

As for accuracy, I really can't tell yet. Several PPs noted (on both sides!) a difference in perception of accuracy. I'm hoping the A1C will closely match the Sensor average, as calibrated by this new meter.

I'm disappointed by the strip light though. It is more like a glow stick. The Freestyle Lite has a fantastic strip light, I could check BGs in the dark.

The case doesn't bother DD. It fits in her purse. Although the case is a little tight for the bottle of 50 strips. With the multiclix, I found if you put it into the holder elastic and then rotate it once it fits more securely.

Have not used it to upload data from the pump yet, although that does seem like another smart feature.

I will report back once I've tried it.

11. 22jules

22jules Approved members

For those that hate the case that the next link has-I may have found a solution! www.diabetesdesigns.com has a case that I just received today that will easily fit the next link with the strips and a multiclix (don't want to give that up). Another pocket for the alcohol wipes and a ring on the outside to attach our glucose tab keychain. Everything fits snug and the case is still small like the one that came with it so it will easily fit in my daughter's purse. Also, the price is pretty reasonable and it seems very well made.

A bonus is that it also fits her one touch ultra link-actually pictured on their website so she can use it while we finish up her strip supply. Actually now I feel better about her picking whatever link meter she likes best since both will be in small cases which is her main complaint about the one touch.

I got the couture case but might also try the compact because it has a zipper.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I got the couture too and didn't love it b/c I was hoping to fit the new meter AND the tube of glucose tabs in the clear pocket and it does fit but it's tight when you close it and it doesn't have a zipper and I didn't notice that when I ordered it. I just ordered the one with the zipper so that should be a little better--even though they aren't as cute. I am going to try my hand at making my own. I'm sure it will be a mess but I'll give it a shot.

You would think someone would be all over this project.

13. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Ha! I just ordered the one with the zipper too as a backup since my daughter might not like the velcro when she's testing in class.

Just a thought-the ring on the outside of the couture case is where I place the keychain with glucose tabs. They have the keychains on the website but I bought them a long time ago and attach them all over-like her backpack, etc. At least they would have easy access to 4 tabs. Also I am stashing smarties next to the meter. I love the one touch case for all the pockets, etc. but as my daughter gets older and wants to carry cute little purses-I guess I have to adjust. It is amazing how it doesn't seem like asking a lot but it is......:D

oh and let me know if you're successful at making one--not a creative or handy here---but you could at least have one customer!

14. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We just got ours today, boy the case is small. I can barely shut it, there's no way DS will deal with that.

I'm not sure about the charging once a week. How do you deal with that? Just charge it once a week over bedtime or something? How long does it take?