- advertisement -

Contamination Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mommyto3, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mommyto3

mommyto3 New Member

My 7th grade daughter used another child's lancet device and meter at school. She had forgotten her's at home. She has gotten into a lot of trouble for doing this both with us and the school. How concerned should I be that she has been cross contaminated with another child's blood? It was a drum-type lancet device and she is insisting she turned it and I know the family. Also, how much trouble should she be in with the school? So far they have suspended her for a day until we have a meeting on Tuesday. Should I expect a more severe punishment?

Clarification.....
    This incident happened on Friday afternoon and Monday is a school holiday. The suspension is really only for 2 hours on Tuesday morning. Our meeting is off campus or she would go to school Tuesday morning. I just don't see sending her and then picking her up. I agree with her getting in some trouble (I'm still in shock that it's this much!!), because this isn't the first time and she has been told repeatedly not to share supplies (her's included). But this is the first time for a lancet. We came from a very lax elementary school where sharing strips, meters ect was acceptable. She lied to the nurse and she even had supplies in the nurses office, but didn't bother checking her box. Even with all this, I would still share supplies with a child in need. I'm so glad to hear that I'm the norm and this is crazy though.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

'm home schooled so this is not my area of expertise... however I now there have been other threads like this where a non d kid uses a cwd's lancet, they didn't seem to get in much trouble, instead the owner of the lancet was blamed.... I think suspension is way over reacting, even detention seems extreme, did she ask the other kid first? if she said that she turned the pricker then I'd guess you only have to worry if the kid had already used all six in the drum (then she would have turned it to a pre used one)

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

While it's a bad idea to use another person's lancing device it isn't a crime. She didn't poke anyone else with it, she poked herself. The school, as far as I am concerned has over stepped it's bounds by suspending her.

7th graders are generally not known for possessing adult understanding of the consequences of their actions and since the adults hadn't seen fit to leave her a spare meter and lancer she had one of two options - test with someone else's tester or not test at all.

I'd remind her of the error of using someone else's lancer and make sure that she has back-up kits stored at school for such contingencies.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In a pinch we're turned the drum and loaned out his lancet. No biggie in my book and the school is overreacting.

I'd trust my child and stand by her in this one, I wouldn't allow the suspension to stand and I'd support my daughter fully and fight, including showing up for school on Monday. That's a ridiculous punishment for a minor infraction. What were her other options, do you have the nursing area staffed with extras? If not, that's where I would focus, on having backup supplies for when she gets into trouble. She was simply trying to do the right thing and test. I say good for her.

But I'm another homeschooler, so what do I know! :p

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

How old are the kids?
    Young people are unlikely to have any diseases carried in blood, Hep B being one potential (but still unlikely) exception. Has your daughter had her Hep B vaccination, and has her friend? That should bring some relief.
    Unfortunately, I believe sexual activity is not unheard of in 15 and up populations, but HIV would be unusual. You could ask your pediatrician about testing your daughter. I really think it's incredibly unlikely there's any problem, but you'll have to judge since it's your daughter and I imagine no matter how unlikely there may be some anxiety.
    As for the school punishing your daughter, I can't see how they have any right to do any such thing. She used a medical device incorrectly. That's none of their beeswax.

6. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

While I would certainly be frustrated with my child, I absolutely would NOT allow a suspension for this or any other diabetes-related event. Your daughter obviously has the message she'd better not forget her meter again, but did. So the challenge would seem to be to figure out why this happens and potential work-arounds/solutions. Am sure she knows now that her solution today was not acceptable.

FYI--my DS is also in 7th grade...his challenge seems to be to to forget to text his BGs to me (and nurse) midmorning & lunchtime. So I give a warning that if I don't get the text I will be joining him for lunch at school. Just the threat of that gets him on track, at least for a while anyways. Never joined him, but he knows I will if he can't fulfill his care responsibilities independently. Maybe something like this would work for you too.

7. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

The school reprimanding or cautioning her about safety I could see, but suspended? That is ridiculous. I would be there 1st thing Monday to let them know I appreciate their concern and attention in the matter, but that any punishment on their part is unnecessary and unwelcome. No way I'd let that ride. Pffft.

As for the contamination, you could always just talk to the parents of the other girl and ask if she has any communicable diseases, and reassure them your daughter does not in case they are concerned about their kid reusing the same needle.

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Oh my, a suspension is a way over-reaction IMO. I'd probably do the same in a pinch, it was a clean lancet just the same device, right? The Multiclix? When I was younger, several of my non-D friends tested their blood sugars with my lancing device and a clean lancet, just for fun. Lots of kids do that. How is this any different? I'd say contamination chances would be basically nil.

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I can understand the school contacting you and the other family about the incident but, suspension! No. Did the other family complain about it or something? I can't imagine that the other family would be upset if a new lancet had been used. My son has had to share supplies in a pinch and I am just glad that his supplies are available in those emergency situations.

Your daughter knew she had a problem with forgetting her meter. She also knew that not testing was not an option. She did the safest thing she could to test and not admit that she forgot her meter. She borrowed her D friend's supplies, with her friend's permission to keep herself safe. They turned the drum for a new lance and she tested. Kudos to her for just not testing at all!

Do you have a spare meter that you could keep in her backpack for these instances? We have my son's Ping meter, and 2 minis that he has just in case. One in his supply box in the nurse's office and one in his backpack
    incase he forgets the Ping meter. He almost always forgets that he has these but, they are there none the less.

I would make sure that the school revokes the suspension and allows her to
    make up any missed work for full credit. I would have a plan in place to present at the meeting to show them you have made an effort to prevent this from happening in the future. I would have to think that it would be the lying to the nurse part that the school is more concerned with. Which is not enough to elicit a suspension in my opinion.

10. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I was going to say this too. Good on her for taking the initiative and finding a way to test, rather than being too scared to admit she made a mistake and not test the whole day! I may just have done the latter when I was 13 :eek:

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

To the OP, just so you know, most people, once they've begun reading the thread, don't ever go back to see the opening post so editing there doesn't really do much.

If you have something to add to a thread you need to either put up a new comment or quote your opening post and then add to it in a new comment.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The information you edited in changes things dramatically. First, I don't see that 2 hours is a suspension, instead it appears to be a meeting. Second, this is a problem area for her and there's more to this than you are reporting. She has extra supplies yet chooses to do what she has been asked not to do...this is behavioral and I would need to get to the bottom of where her head was in all this. Lying to the nurse is the infraction in my book, and I'd start there.

I'd put in place some accountability rules at this time. She has to check in with you first thing at school and tell you her number by HER meter, if she forgot it then you report that to the nurse so the nurse knows she needs to be coming in every few hours/before meals/PE, etc. Basically at this time I'd be shadowing her movements some and make it clear to her that she can't lie to anyone. It isn't the sharing that bothers me, it's the lying.

It doesn't appear (to me, reading your edit) that the school is suspending, instead they called a meeting. Good for them! Take this time with those who are caring for your daughter during the day to set aside a plan, follow through with it, and let your daughter know what is expected of her.

I imagine she'll find the easiest course is to simply take her own meter. Does she have a separate one that stays in her backpack 24/7? If not, definitely do that, along with extra supplies, again that never leave her backpack.