- advertisement -

Contacts with D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NatBMomto4, Apr 12, 2011.

1. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Andrew has worn glasses for over 6 years now. He recently asked for contacts, and I took him to our eye doctor to get him "fitted". She explained that contacts are risky for diabetics because of the risk of eye infections and the fact that diabetics have a harder time recovering from an infection. She stressed cleanliness and the importance of giving his eyes plenty of time to breathe without contacts in. She was not overbearing, but she did get me worrying (like I need another thing to worry about!!) I am a "clean freak" (my husband calls me "Monica" - from Friends), so I know I can teach and help Andrew on how to properly care for his contacts. I was wondering if any of you have a T1 with contacts (or ARE a T1 with them) and could offer advice. Is it really as "risky" as our Dr said, or is she being extra cautious? Is this something I should bring up at our next endo appt? Coincidentally, our next endo appt is the day before the eye dr appt to actually get his contacts (they had to be special ordered). The eye Dr told us he should wear the contacts only if he is going out, otherwise, let his eyes "breathe" and wear his glasses. Is that what you guys do? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I don't recall ever being told it was "risky." Marissa, dx'd in 9/89, has been wearing contacts for about 12 years. I don't think she's had any unusual issues with infections. I don't recall any eye infections, in fact, but maybe I just have a bad memory.:)

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

My son has had contacts for over a year and neither his eye dr nor his endo ever indicated that it was "risky". I thought contacts today allowed the eyes to breath much more than the old ones did--hence many adults being allowed to sleep in theirs for an entire week. I wonder if her type 1 vs type 2 assumptions are confused? She might be thinking of poor circulation associated with a long term type 2, perhaps.

4. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

We have not been told it's a problem at all!

Adam is 5, and was diagnosed with a cataract at 9 months old. He had the cataract and the lens of his right eye removed at that age and has been wearing a hard contact lens ever since.

We see Adam's eye doctors very frequently and since his T1 diagnosis, no one has ever mentioned his contact lens being a problem. He wears a hard (rigid) contact lens, not a soft one, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference in infections or not.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco wears them with no prob.

6. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Contacts myself for.... 14 or so years I believe... never had pink eye, other eye infection, etc. I also never sleep in my contacts though except for the occasional nap, but never overnight which I'm sure helps keep anyone's contact-wearing eyes healthy and happy...

7. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

My son has had contacts for about 3 years, and no problems at all. We got the D and contacts speech too..and the risk of infections..

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

JMO but I think contacts are riskier for T2's than for T1's since most T2's in the world (not online) tend to be poorly managed and don't tend to monitor their BG as much as a typical T1. So when we get lumped in to the broader "diabetic" label, I often feel like it applies more to T2's than T1's.

I wear contacts and while my eye doctor asks my A1C as part of his regular exam, he hasn't given me any specific lectures about contacts and diabetes.

I feel that if you use common sense (WASH HANDS!) and follow the advice of your doctor (in terms of how long to wear lenses every day, when to replace, etc) your risks of infections or other complications are really pretty low. Wearing a pair of contacts for 2+ weeks without removing them is a bad idea for anyone's eyes, diabetic or not, and any eye doctor will tell you so. I use extended wear lenses, but I do not wear them continuously. I probably only wear them 4-5 days out of any given week, and at most 12 hours at a time (usually more like 8-10).

I do notice that my eyes are dry when my #'s are higher, but I've never had any other problems with them. I occasionally nap in my contacts (I try not to because I hate how my eyes feel when I wake up) and I have accidentally worn them overnight, but when that happens I usually take a day or two off from wearing them.

9. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I have wore contacts for longer than I have been diabetic. since I was 19.
    I have not had any eye problems from the contacts. I have been known to sleep in mine, I did not have issues with it till a couple of years ago, when I went from regular contacts to toric ones which dry out faster than the old ones did. I wore my glasses more, because the brand of torics I got were never comfortable.
    I just got my eyes examined last month and got a new brand of toric lens, these are great, I have not had to constantly put rewetting drops like I was. I now wear bifocal glasses, so when I wear my contacts I have to wear a pair of reading glasses for the computer and up close stuff. I like these Acuvue Oasys torics much better than the
    Proclear ones I had before.

The eye doctor always asks how my diabetes is, I get my early exam from the diabetes clinic, then just go to the eye doctor for the glasses/contact exam.
    I have very healthy eyes according to last exam a couple of weeks ago, great pressure and no diabetic issues with my eyes either.

10. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I am sitting here thinking you have one of the most umm can't say it eye docs ever. I actually tried regular wear contacts first. I was actually allergic to the cleaning solution. I quit wearing them and went back to glasses initially. I then saw they had the 30 day contacts. I basically put them in once a month and was done with them. The only issue the one eye doc had was the 30 day ones do not allow the eye to "breathe". I then explained the problem with cleaning solutions. I did have one issue with iritis. I was basically on a steriod eye drop for 4 or 5 days and it was clear within a week.
    Wendy

11. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

I asked my husband - who's an optician and fits contact lenses.... he said as long as he cleans the lenses... he isnt at any more risk than anyone without D.....