- advertisement -

Constant site infctions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Anyone got any thoughts on why Van is constantly getting site infections. We've changed nothing about how we do his sites yet suddenly, they're all ending up with pus. We get on to them quickly, they don't need antibiotics and heal nicely and once the site is out his numbers get back to normal pretty quickly.

We use a metal site, change it every 3 days immediatly after a shower. Dont' use a prep (we found it game him infections) and have been fine for 4 years but suddenly, it all changes.

Could it be summer and swimming? How much infection can find its way in from the outside world when a site is in. Just thinking about all the public pools:rolleyes: he's been in over the holidays.

Any thoughts why it's all gone haywire?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Pool water sounds like a good bet.:rolleyes: Especially pools with lots of young kids. I think the CDC released a study about bacteria in public pools ... yes, here http://www.cdc.gov/features/poolparasites/

Good luck! Hope you can find a solution.:cwds:

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Be extra careful not to breath on the site--like hold it up to eye level, not under your nose. And don't blow on the skin to dry. Germs, including kinds of strep are in the breath and will contaminate a site. Lots of ppl are carryers of these strep germs for ages even if they aren't sick. So you guys may now be carriers even if you weren't before and even if you aren't sick--it's very common and it ddoesn't get others sick, but if you breath on an open wound it could get infected.

This is just from what I remember from Pumping Insulin.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Maybe he's reacting to the sites again? Maybe switch from rapid D to contact detach (or other way?) just to see?

5. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We have to change sites every 2 days. Anna can tell (she'll start to get itchy around the site and it will hurt like a little infection is brewing). Doing every two nights we've only ever had one infected site and her numbers remain pretty good. When we were doing 3 days her numbers would rise and she'd get itchy and red around the site.

6. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Have you tried using Opsite IV 3000? Pumping Insulin book suggests one use a bio-occlusive dressing between the infusion set and skin to help block off bacteria from penetrating through the (puncture wound).
    We'll start using it when she starts swimming lessons again.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee was getting a lot of infections.. some kids are just prone to it. She wasn't getting infection while the site was in, but rather after the site had been pulled.. We discovered it was because after the site was pulled she was scratching, and scratching like crazy! The infection was from that, either bateria on her skin (which everyone has) of under her fingernails. We make sure we use an antibacteria soap on her every other day (we don't do it every day because it dries the skin) and we have a prescription for an antibiotic cream to put on the site if it looks suspicious. Since we've been doing these things she hasn't had an infection that needed oral antibiotics, thankfully.

Trying to figure out where the infections were coming from drove me crazy, until I realized they always happened AFTER the site was removed.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Do you know about the tainted alcohol swabs? I don't remember the brands but there are some bad ones out there that can cause infections...I will try and find the thread.

I can't find it...

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Here's the FDA recall http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm239219.htm
    but the OP doesn't use an alcohol prep so that's not the issue.

10. Heather(CA)

11. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

I'm figuring it's the pools. When we pull sites we put a RX antibiotic on the skin normally, but these are well and truly infected prior to pulling. That said they clean up within a couple of days but it would be nice not to be at the point we're I'm surprised when one ISN'T infected. He's not been swimming since this one went in (tropical rain going on at the mo) so will see how this one goes.

Sigh, as if having D isn't bad enough.

12. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

13. Heather(CA)

Umm...Lantusfiend was talking to me, it was my bad not his. :)

14. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

After disinfecting with whatever you use to disinfect before inserting the site, how about trying something like Tegaderm UNDER the site, then another one over to keep it place?

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

We had to switch to 2 days becuase of this. But there is hope, after a couple of years at 2 days, we are now back to three with no problem.