- advertisement -

Confused...

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by zapsmom, May 9, 2012.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My Dd's blood worked tested postive for celiac about two months ago and since then she has had the bio/scope and the results were negative for celiac. Now here is where I am confused, today we got a call from the GI office saying that her vitamin D and A levels were low. He wants her on multivitamin which is GF. Why should the multivitamin be GF when she is not GF? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am calling the office tomorrow to ask more questions...

2. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

It could be that she is positive for the celiac antibodies - the anti-gluten antibodies or whatever they're called, but doesn't officially have celiac at this time. If I understand correctly (my brother had the same test results as your daughterfrom what I can tell) it means no damage to the villi yet - the celiac process is not actively happening at this time, but it's quite possible she could develop celiac in the future, so some choose to go GF to prevent the villous damage from happening in the first place.

Think of the whole diabetes antibodies thing... same kind of situation: if you test positive for the antibodies, you're at much higher risk for developing the condition, but you don't necessarily have it NOW... you can also develop these conditions without the antibodies (often called idiopathic, as in no explanation as to why the patient developed the condition).

Okay, sorry if this makes no sense or is super ramble-y... tired after a glass of wine this evening... lol

Just thought you might want some kind of potential explanation sooner rather than later (morning) when the forums get more traffic...

3. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I am going to see if I can explain what I do know of her blood work but I am not that great at understanding it all. Her antibodes which is her TTG was negative but the blood test where the levels should be under 20 were 39. She had the scope which showed she had no damage and the dr said no celiac. So I guess that where I am confused on just GF multivitamin but not GF all together.

LOL! I Understand the being tired after a glass of wine! :) Thanks for your answer, Tricia.