advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about Type 1 or 2, need advice.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 2' started by Artgirl, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Hello, my daughter was diagnosed with either type 1 or 2 diabetes we are waiting for the antiibodies test results. She is 16 and does not seem to fit into the type 1 symptoms. Her Ac1 was 9 her fasting was 15 and she has a bit of ketones in her urine. What i hear from some mom's is that their child's numbers were over 20 when diagnosed and their child was very sick which my daughter was not. ...she has brown patches on her skin which is not common for type 1 and i have pcos which i think she's inherited from me. I think i am in denial. .could anyone tell me how their child was diagnosed with type 2? She is on insulin injections but i can't believe its type 1 she just doesn't fit the typical symptoms or progression.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Would you mind listing the reasons why you think your daughter doesn't have Type 1?
    And the reasons why you think she may have Type 2?

An A1c of 9 with a fasting BG of 15 mmol/L (which equals about 270 mg/dL) with only a bit of ketones is consistent with a diagnosis of Type 1. My daughter's BG at diagnosis was only a teensy bit higher, she was not sick at all (her pediatrician didn't believe me when I told her I knew my daughter had Type 1), and she only had trace ketones that cleared in under 12 hours. The only symptoms she had prior to diagnosis were polydipsia and polyuria (drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot). And some (a few pounds) weight loss.

If you're holding out for a diagnosis of Type 2, I think you're in for a big disappointment. If it turns out she has Type 2 (which I sincerely doubt), then great, I guess. There's not a "bad" kind of diabetes and a "not so bad" kind, they both suck and need constant and ongoing management. The sooner you accept that she more than likely has Type 1, the better for both you, your daughter, and your family. I know, it's a lot to deal with but it's not a death sentence. I'm pretty sure I speak for the other parents of children with Type 1 on this Forum when I say that our children are just average kids who are living their lives to the fullest. They just happen to have Type 1 diabetes.

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

My son was similar to your daughter. He wasn't sick at diagnosis. The only sign he had was weight loss, none of the drinking or peeing lots. His a1c at diagnosis was 11, a little higher than your daughters but not as high as some peoples have been. He had no ketones either. He is definitely type 1.

ETA: Our doctor didn't think DS had diabetes. He only tested his blood sugar because it is in the family and he tests all of us whenever we see him no matter what it's for. His blood sugar at the doctors was 27.8 (not sure what that is in American numbers).

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Do you have reason, other than the darkened skin, to believe she has Type 2? Is there a strong family history of type 2? While the rates of type 2 are increasing in younger age groups, the vast majority of children have type 1.

FWIW, my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 11. 2 years later she was diagnosed with PCOS. One does not preclude the other.

Both "types" progress at different rates in each individual. If your daughter has Type 1, be grateful you've apparently caught it early.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

FWIW my A1C at diagnosis was only 8.5 - mine was caught early (I had a very elevated glucose level on a CMP, the same panel done 6 weeks earlier was normal), and I've never been in DKA, and I wasn't sick at diagnosis (I was however, pregnant, which is the source of confusion about what "type" I was). I was misdiagnosed twice before getting the final (and correct) diagnosis of T1 (confirmed with antibody testing)... and I had to fire a doctor to get to that point (a doctor who kept telling me NOT to keep taking insulin - looking back I kind of wish that I had followed that advice and ended up in DKA, it would have saved some hassle). The whole process took nearly 10 months.

Ketones are consistent with T1 at diagnosis... it would be somewhat unusual for a T2 to have them. Extremely high BG's and DKA are not requirements for diagnosing T1 - not everyone gets to that point before it is found.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

This link provides some good info on T1 vs T2 in youth. It's a bit older, but still has good info.
    I found this part interesting:
    "Before diagnosis with type 2 diabetes, a teen with elevated blood glucose levels may present with no
    symptoms or have mild glucosuria and/or ketosis with or without weight loss."

http://www.epi.umn.edu/let/pubs/img/adol_ch14.pdf

This is an older discussion from this forum about long/slow onset of T1.
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?31825-Long-slow-onset

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Art girl, please keep us informed as to whether your daughter tests positive for autoantibodies. In the meantime, hang in there!

8. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Thank you all for your input we still don't know it takes three weeks for the results, but I am accepting that it most likely is type 1....sigh, its all so overwhelming and scary, I am a bundle of nerves at the moment.

9. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Did you ever get the results? Curious. For what its worth, T1D does have a slowish onset in some, so "lower" numbers like your daughters are not uncommon. Just means it was "caught" earlier than some.

10. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Yes..its Type1.