- advertisement -

confused about a label

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by still..hopeful, Oct 4, 2008.

1. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

I bought some Ore Ida crispy crowns for my daughter. They are like tater tots. The bag had gluten free stamped on it in white letters. When I got home I got to looking at the bag and it also in bold letters contains soybeans and wheat. In the ingredients, it lists pre cooked wheat flour!! I am glad I didn't give her any. I am going to call the company Mon.
    Angie

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi Angie,

Yeah, that's confusing alright!! Wow - I don''t think I've ever seen an Oreida bag with GF on the front. ACK!! Good thing you read the ingredient list.

Here's a list from Feb 2008. I don't see the Crispy Crowns in that list. They don't keep their website up to date, so that's no help. Calling them is the best solution all the way around. You might ask them to email you their latest GF list [I've been meaning to do that].

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  3. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

Yeah, I went on their website and the crispy crowns were not on the gf list. They have just recently started adding the gluten free label on some of their products. We have bought the fast food fries and curly fries and they are both labeled gf. I'm glad I looked at the ingredients although usually if it says gf, then I don't pay attention to the ingredients. I guess now I will look for both.
    Angie

4. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Glad you caught it. I wonder how many people are going to get sick off those.

Hope you reach someone with a brain when you call. If not, ask for their supervisor. If they are going to label something gf, then it should be.

Thanks for letting us know. I know I'll be checking the ingredient list from now on.

5. aklap

aklap Approved members

Angie - is there a date code or manufacturing date, or batch indentifier on that package? I'm going to look at our store to see if I can find them.

6. aklap

aklap Approved members

I stopped at the store - there was 1 bag left. Sure 'nuff - said gluten free down at the bottom of the ingredient list. I almost missed it because it was almost hidden under a flap of those goofy bags.

The one I saw was a Crispy Crowns 30oz bag.

UPC Code = 13120-00133

N08F025 13:19 B

Best used by 3/28/10

I took photos of it with my phone. [Yeah, I'm that much of a geek :D]

Here's OreIda's Contact page with phone number: http://www.oreida.com/contact/index.aspx
    I will try to call them on Monday too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  7. aklap

aklap Approved members

I just got off the phone with Heinz. My call was the first call on this [or so I was told ;)].

I gave them the info from the bag that I saw.

The customer service rep said this is a major problem and is sending this info immediately to the powers that be.

I suspect the GF labeling their doing is relatively new. Any GF labeling a company does is voluntary. On top of that, there's no standard yet as to what GF actually means. The FDA is trying to set a limit of "acceptable" gluten - for this they need more medical research. Canada and other parts of the world have decided upon 20 parts per million. It's thought that the US will accept that limit too.

I asked about their most recent GF list. The one from Feb. [as shown above] is their most recent list. They are working on a new one! There are 2 more GF products that will be added. The rep. said I should call be in about a month.

Thanks Angie for catching this!! Please do call them too!!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Wow! Good catch and thanks, Al, for contacting the company. Nice that they want to the GF friendly but how about making sure the packaging is correct???

9. ampb9755

ampb9755 Approved members

Tator Tots labeled incorrectly

I also bought a bag of the Tator Tots and it is stamped GLUTEN FREE, but in the ingredients it says it contains wheat. I called the company today and they said they were aware of the misprint, but that they did have on the bag that it contained wheat. I asked if they were going to pull them off the store shelves, and the woman said she would pass my concerns along. Obviously, they are not going to pull them off the shelves.

10. ampb9755

ampb9755 Approved members

Tator Tots labeled incorrectly

I also bought a bag of the Tator Tots and it is stamped GLUTEN FREE, but in the ingredients it says it contains wheat. I called the company today and they said they were aware of the misprint, but that they did have on the bag that it contained wheat. I asked if they were going to pull them off the store shelves, and the woman said she would pass my concerns along. Obviously, they are not going to pull them off the shelves.

11. aklap

aklap Approved members

To my knowledge plain Tater Tots are GF. Hmmmm....

12. aklap

aklap Approved members

I had an interesting chat with the OreIda rep, the same one I talked to on Monday. She was kind enough to follow up with me. I am truly thankful that she did!

Here's the scoop...

The Crispy Crowns that are in the bag had been reformulated to remove the wheat. However, they are still not considered GF due to possible cross contamination issues at this point in time. The ingredient list and the Allergen Contains statement was wrong. The product does not contain gluten ingredients, but is not considered GF - so the GF labeling was wrong too.

OreIda is revamping their GF labeling policies/procedures/practices. Want to know what the #1 type of phone calls they receive? GLUTEN! I don't doubt that one bit!, this is not the 1st mfg that has said this. They are listening and want to better serve us.

I asked about their allergen labeling practices - do they disclose barley, rye and oats? The rep stated they follow the FDA guidelines to the letter. However, barley, rye and oats do not legally have to be disclosed according to the FDA FALCPA law. She did inquire about the oats. I gave her a quick primer on oats and why commercial oats are not considered GF. :) I also told her that other companies do disclose barley, rye and oats voluntarily and that it helps us make wise food choices. Who's product are we going to buy first? The one makes it easier for us of course! ;)

Another helpful tid-bit of info. If you look at the manufacturing code by the UPC label - this will tell you where the product was packaged/processed. You want to look for the letters "ON" - signifies Ontario Idaho. This is the main office/plant for OreIda. Why is this significant? That plant has dedicated lines solely for their gluten products. Any non-gluten products are run on different lines. Not all of their plants or co-packers have this set up. She did state that they do have stringent cleaning procedures in place for the locations that do run both GF and NGF products on shared equipment. I asked if they test their final product - she did not know the exact answer.

So...now you know...the REST of the story. Good day...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  13. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Thanks for the update Al!