- advertisement -

concerns re. cat hygiene!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by payam7777777, Sep 19, 2015.

1. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

Hi, everybody :cwds:

My nephew (now 12 with D) is about to adopt a kitten. His mom is concerned re. hygiene. The cat will of course take the necessary vaccinations, parasite pills etc. by the vet.

yet, my sister is still concerned there might be microbe/etc. infections or something even though there will be regular bathing for the cat.

she believes taking into consideration the fact that health care in our corner of the world (Iran) is not nearly as good as that of the west, any "cat-caused problems" for Ali, would impose much more stress and time/money/energy to be spent on the problem.

should we be concerned!? Do a lot of you guys have cats at home?! Anything we should know?

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We have a cat and used to have two. At this point all my kids take turns scooping the litter including my cwd. There is that thing that you can get from cat litter that is bad for pregnant women but other than that I would have no concerns. A 12yo is very unlikely to get anything from a domestic cat (my completely unscientific opinion).

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Payam.

I think your sister is worrying needlessly. We have a cat we found as a stray - she still spends a lot of time outside getting into who knows what - and other than an occasional twinge of anxiety that she could bring fleas int the house (she hasn't) I spend zero time worrying that she will make us (any of us, not just my D kid) sick.

Remind your sister that the emotionally therapeutic benefit of having a companion animal are well documented and if her 12 year old wants a kitten that the only real downside is finding cat hair on the cushions :)

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree wholeheartedly with everything Sarah just said. Whether or not a child has T1D should not be a factor in deciding whether to get a cat IMO.

5. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

Best thing I ever did was get my daughter a kitten. She loves it to distraction. She helps scoop, feed and water her cat. She is 8 and had it for a year. Therapeutic, beneficial and clean.

6. dpr

dpr Approved members

We have 2 cats, 1 dog, 4 ducks, 2 chickens and 1 turtle. My daughter handles all of them and has never had a problem. Nothing to worry about. :)

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've had a cat for ages and never a problem. Honestly, I think we bring in more germs that may harm the cat than the cat would bring in to harm us. There is no reason to bathe a cat, as that is their natural instinct and their natural protection.

We've had our cat for 8 years now. My parents have 2 and we visit frequently. The biggest thing to know is wash your hands after cleaning the litter box, keep their food and water fresh and in a spot that they feel safe. Enjoy the love and aloofness they provide.

8. Mama Salty

Mama Salty Approved members

Hi. I recently got a kitten for my T1D daughter and she loves her. I also looked into whether pets (and cats in particular) are safe for people taking immunosuppressant drugs which my nephew takes for Crohn's disease. It seemed the general conclusion was that even for people with suppressed immune systems, "...the risk for these patients is slight, and the psychosocial benefits afforded by pets must be kept in mind for those with chronic illnesses." ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096326/ ) For a diabetic, shouldn't be any issue at all. (And rather than actually bathing the cat, if the mom is really worried, they make "wipes" for cats. I don't know if they're any different from baby wipes, but I used them on an elderly cat of mine who had stopped grooming herself. Way less traumatic for both of us.)

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Lotfan gorbe ro nashoorid agar ke nemikhay changet bezane . Gorbe az shoste shodan kheili badesh meyad va khodeh ro kheili khoob tamiz mikonee.

10. rgcainmd

My thoughts exactly!

Just kidding!

11. njswede

njswede Approved members

We constantly hang out with dogs, cats and horses and I haven't even given it a though. While it's true that both dogs and cats drag in all kinds of germs, it's small problem compared to the biggest carrier of diseases: Humans. Pretty much every nasty bug the kids have caught can be traced back to their school. I wouldn't worry too much about the cat.

As for writing in foreign languages: Vad trevligt att vi har en medlem från Iran! Det är kul att prata med folk från olika länder. :)

12. rgcainmd

אני אוהב חתולים : definitely my motto!

13. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

um..

заблагодарам на сите вас.
    ти си голем.

:cwds: