- advertisement -

Computer Problem, any techies out there?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by VinceysMom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Ugh! My computer is saying this and I cannot go past it, cannot open anything, nothing... (i am on another computer writing this!)... "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\dbghelp.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." I've tried a couple of things and nothing is working... I am soooooooo bummed.

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kath

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I would try to reinstall windows or I'd decide that a virus had basically killed windows and would install a new operating system (which is what I did after I got my last computer infected with a virus). The operating system I installed was Ubuntu; on a friend's computer, we downloaded ubuntu onto a CD (ubuntu is free), put the CD in my computer, and loaded Ubuntu onto my computer. Then we deleted windows and that computer still runs on ubuntu. But I wouldn't do that except as a last resort because there are so many programs that you can't run on ubuntu, such as my dexcom software.

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

UGH! Ok, I think I probably need to run SOMETHING like this... maybe I will get another copy of WINDOWS... Will talk with my techie friends at work and see what they say, i have an email into them now...but it's saturday nite, i'm sure they arent waiting for an SOS from me.. lol Thanks for the advice though, I really appreciate it. In the meantime, we turned off the computer... :( Glad I have my work laptop home... :eek:

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Sounds like a virus - it could mean wiping your system and reinstalling a new operating system or you could pay a few bucks and bring it somewhere to get it cleaned up.

I am a pretty techy person and it took me about two weeks of restores and clean ups and alters to get my pc clean again. This one sounds like it hit your registry since it is affecting your DLL's, so unless your techies are willing to spend the time, professional help may be needed.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

What OS are you running? XP?

Are you running AVG antivirus by any chance?

You might try a System Restore to a previous state to see if that helps.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I say throw it out and buy a new one. ;)

7. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I posted an answer on your fb request for help. Sounds like the hard drive image is corrupted. You'll need to boot up with a set of recovery disks, or an OS installation disk (the first you would have, hopefully, made after purchase; the second would have come with the system, but that's typically with older computers.) If your system is still under warranty the manufacturer might be able to help. Beyond that it's either a computer repair shop or finding someone with a restore disk that works on your system - of Flutterby's suggestion.

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

9. Mish

Mish Approved members