- advertisement -

College Board Investigation Completed. Decision given.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KatieJane'smom, May 25, 2011.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Many of you may remember this thread:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=63981

The college board, with absolutely no input from me whatsoever after my initial phone call, opened a case and did their own investigation of the situation. The staff at the school apparently dodged their phone calls and said that they were not receiving the faxes that they sent. Finally, someone from the College Board called me and requested that I call the school counselor and instruct her to call them THAT day!

I went in yesterday to talk to our 10th grade counselor (the nice one who has been VERY helpful) and the head counselor/principal's wife came in while we were talking and sobbed for about 30 min., very dramatically:rolleyes:
    What I learned from that conversation was that the College Board had called them and asked to speak to their SSD Coordinator and no one on staff, including the head counselor or her husband, the principal, knew who their SSD Coordinator was. So, the school turned around and called the College Board to ask them who the SSD Coordinator was but the College Board refused to tell them! Finally, the principal got College Board to tell him the name of the person. It was someone who had transfered off that campus and then retired years ago:eek:. Seriously? I'm sure that helped make their decision about case really quickly - LOL. (I might take a moment to tell you that when we started fighting with this same district 4 years ago to get my dd on 504 after diagnosis, we found out that the 504 coordinator was someone who had died many years before:eek:). This school district obviously has a pattern of ignoring the law.:mad:

I was contacted by the school counselor (the nice one) yesterday and told that our conversation was being recorded (now I know why. They were trying to force me to say that I was declining the offer of a re-take). They said the College Board had contacted them and told them to give Katie Jane a re-take WITH the accomodations. Yeah!!, right? Wrong! Here's the kicker - the school district told me that the ONLY day the College Board would allow the school to do administer the "Exception Exam" was this coming Friday. "We're sorry, we know she's supposed to go to State that day but....you'll just have to decide whether you want her to re-take the exam or go to State" Seriously? She not only qualified to go to State for a flute Solo but she's also in an Ensemble. Obviously, they don't care about the other students this would affect, as well. I was told that they couldn't start the exam until 8:00am and the state qualifiers were leaving at 6:00am. Okay, fine, if this is the only day then I will just have to drive her the 5 1/2 hours to Austin to join the band director when she finishes the exam. I went to talk to the band director to work out all the plans.

Then today I got to thinking.....I wouldn't put it past that blankety-blank school district to be doing this on purpose. It certainly wouldn't be the first under-handed thing they have done. So, I called College Board late yesterday and left a message for a call back. When I didn't hear from them by the middle of the day, I put in another call to them. Guess what? The "exception exams" are all being administered Wed. (today) through Friday of this week. College Board doesn't care when the exception exams are given as long as they are within that three day window. It's up to the school district to decide the time and day!:mad:

End of story: Katie Jane will be re-taking her AP exam tomorrow (Thursday) at whatever time she chooses to arrive at the counselor's office (hopefully, with her approved accomodations this time) and then she will be traveling with her peers to the Texas State Solo & Ensemble competition on Friday morning.

Moral of this story? "Don't mess with a Mama Bear":D Especially, one with a D kid. Sleep deprivation makes us cranky!!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Kristi, I am so pleased that everything turned out as it did. But you know what really makes me PO'ed? You shouldnt have to go through a fight like that so that your daughter can have her federal rights!:mad: People have fought and died so that citizens in this country can have certain freedoms and to make sure that everyone follows the laws of the land. This school is no different! It is no better than other schools so that they should think that they can ignore laws and lie to hide their incompetence:mad: Frankly, they disgust me:mad: They should want your daughter to succeed, and every other child there to succeed. And following the laws of the land is a huge part of that.

Sorry to have rattled on like that;) I am very happy for KJ and along with being able to take the test again she has learned a valuable lesson from you that she will remember and hopefully be willing to put into action if she ever needs to. What shes learned is that our rights were worth fighting for and they are still worth fighting for, for her and for those who will come after her.

3. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

I was holding my breath the whole time, while reading your post--thinking I was going to get mad. LOL I am so HAPPY for you and KatieJane!!! HOORAY!!!!!:)

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That was pretty dramatic and I am glad it worked out. Your school was flat out wrong, and they knew it. If anyone has their act together, it is the College Board.

I would have done the same, if this was the only test offered.

I am glad Katie Jane made state on her flute and her ensemble!!

What a great week for her.

5. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Our kids go to a school that handles disabilities and accommodations in a pretty matter of fact fashion. There are individual teachers who don't get it, but in general the administration does their part. So, I just don't understand when schools won't follow the rules. Sometimes it looks like your school, and others, go to more effort to avoid the rules than would be necessary to follow them.

6. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

You go Momma Bear!!!

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

I'm so happy to hear things turned out the way they should.

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Congrats! I hope the second testing goes well!

9. deegee

deegee Approved members

I have tried to get a 504 in place for Jenna, but her school refuses. The person in charge of this said that Diabetes does not hinder everyday function. So frustrating because there are certain teachers who refuse to follow my directions....ie was low and dizzy and on the 2nd floor of the school and had her go to the office on the 1st floor by herself. below 50 when she got there.

I happy that Katie Jane got what she needed, and that you fight for her like you do!!!

10. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Good Job Mom!!!!!

The Collegeboard likes to stick to the rules. In a nearby school district, all students had to retake AP tests that were administered a few weeks ago because the seats were to close together. Odd, but supposedly all desks have a required distance they must be between each other.

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

So happy things turned out the way they did.

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

deegee,
    Call 1-800-Diabetes and let them know what is happening with your daughter and the school's refusal to let her have a 504 plan. The so-called person in charge is totally wrong about your daugter not being qualified for a 504 plan. She automatically qualifies by virtue of the fact she has diabetes. Wishing you the best.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree with Deafmack, call the ADA. This is not true at all. If the school receives any type of federal funding, they must give you a 504. You may have to fight, there are many parents here who have, and will be more than willing to give advise. Best of luck.

14. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Great job, Kristi. I'm so glad that K.J. will get her re-take and go to State. That girl deserves it all! :)

15. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

I sent you a PM.

16. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

So glad Katie Jane gets a second chance at the test and isn't missing State! The school sounds impossible to work with... I am so sorry this happened. I hope when Josh is older we do not have problems...

17. KatieJane'smom

Katie Jane took the test yesterday. The start of the test had to be delayed because she was high after filling out the registration. Probably, from a low rebound earlier that morning but she said the test administrator was a really nice guy and let her take of things as she needed to.

However, she was very disappointed because she thinks she did much worse on this one than on the first one. It was an old test from 2006 and had different material than what they had covered in class. I don't really know if she actually did worse or if that's just her perception. (She doesn't even remember if she finished the first one because she was so high and just wanted to get out of there)

I'll add one more interesting fact, though. I ran into a mom yesterday while we were waiting for the kids after school. She proceeded to tell me that her daughter, who has tourettes and is actually in Spec. Ed. with an IEP, was not given her testing accomodations during the recent mandatory State testing. She is supposed to take her test individually in a seperate room due to tourettes and (sorry, can't recall the name) some other health issue she has where she has attacks that make her throat close up (no, not due to food allergy but mimicks anaphylaxis). Anxiety is a trigger for her and this is a huge State test in Texas called TAKS. Even the teacher's have anxiety about it. She ended up failing the test. Mom was asking me if there was anything she could do about it. Since the accomodations are written into her IEP, she should be able to.

It saddens me that this school district seems to go out of their way to deny kids their rights. This is also the ONLY district that will only let kids participate in one thing. When we play other schools at football games, we notice that many of the cheerleader or drill team or even football players often go play an instrument in the band, as well, during half-time. Katie Jane was flat out told she could not be in theatre if she were in band even if there were not any time conflicts with the rehearsals.

18. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Obviously, there is a strong ideological factor motivating the administration of your school. They are willing to break the rules repeatedly and risk sanctions, fines, or worse. The bit about having only one activity just floors me. Our school wants the kids to be in as many activities as possible and has some pretty good rules to help kids prioritize, eg. competition comes before practice.

I would think there would be many families who find this unacceptable. is there only one high school in your district? Does the superintendent support this odd behavior?
    This sounds like one of those early seventies movies where everyone in town is a robot, an alien, or part of a cult, and only a few people don't know...

19. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

LOL maybe she lives in Stepford?

I also think it's a bit weird they are only allowed one activity.I've never heard of that before. Shoot my school had football players and wrestlers and band folks in the drama club.

20. KatieJane'smom

Yeah, it's really weird and, yes the superintendent controls everything. When we met with the counselor before her first year in high school the two theatre teachers came in to talk to us. Katie Jane had been in the musicals at the high school theatre for several years before she was in high school because she's really, really good. The theatre teachers actually came in and said "We were shocked to see band on her schedule. She has to drop band to be in theatre and we really want her in theatre so she needs to change her schedule" We asked if there was a time conflict and they said "No, she just can't do both". We asked if she could try it her freshman year and see if she could work it out. They said yes and promised her that they would give her a chance to have a lead part to see if she could be loyal to them and not let band interfere. (The band directors are AWESOME and very flexible to let the kids miss band for whatever other things they want to do.)

Bottom line is the theatre directors never gave her that chance and they flat out told her they had picked her for the part of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz but because she hadn't dropped out of band they weren't going to let her have the part. (They also told her the reason she couldn't be in group musical for a competition was because she had diabetes and that she shouldn't be wearing diabetic t-shirts:confused: The child designs diabetic t-shirts for her friends and has a t-shirt store on cafe press called Diabetic Vent) They told her she's the kind of kid that was not going to be happy in the chorus or with minor parts, that she was born to be a lead but she had to drop band and Cross Country and Track and Journalism. They were really pressuring her and she was miserable.

I sat her down and asked her to consider her options. I wanted her to be happy and she LOVES theatre. I told her to look at the people at school who had been supportive of her (the coaches and the band directors and the journalism teacher) and decide where she wanted to put her time and energy. She the kind of kid who's going to give it her all and shine no matter where she is so if the theatre wasn't being supportive maybe she should think about shining somewhere else where people weren't going to hold her diabetes against her and also been helpful to her instead of making her feel bad about herself.

So, she finished out the year and then dropped Theatre all together and put all her energy into Cross Country and band. It broke her heart to quit theatre but her decision is paying off. She got put on Varsity her freshman year of CC and during her Sophmore year the girl's Varsity team qualified for Regionals for the first time in history. She tried out and made drum major for next school year and there has never been a Junior drum major before, ever. They've only had Seniors in the past. Today, she's at the Texas State Solo and Ensemble in Austin because she qualified on her flute solo and also in a trio.

I'm so glad that there are a tiny handful of teachers at the school that treat her fairly. Too bad the administration refuses to. She's not the only diabetic kid in this district but she was the first child ever to be placed on a 504 plan. The district had never even done one before last year.:eek: That was only after fighting with them for 4 full years and shoving the law down their throats. The way I finally got a 504 plan (if you want to call it that. All the 504 plan says is "see health-care plan) was to march into the Special Ed. Director's office and demand that she be tested for Special Ed. and placed as OHI (other health impaired) If they weren't going to give her a 504 then I would put her in Special Ed. We had had the 504 by the next week. I just get SO darn tired of fighting with them about every tiny little thing from letting her go to the bathroom to letting her keep her supplies with her instead of locked up in the nurse's office "like all our other diabetics do" or what they really want which is for us to pull her out of school and home-school her like they've forced so many others to do.:mad: