- advertisement -

college applications scare me...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blessed, Oct 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. blessed

blessed Approved members

I haven't posted in a while...but felt compelled. We are in the midst of college applications. Cameron has had a dream of being a surgeon since he was in 6th grade. Well, the days are numbered and I being the MOM am so nervous and scared...I am feeling like he should stay in state, yet I know he needs to spread his wings. I worry that if he should have diabetes issues that it would be much easier for everyone if he were within driving distance. I know I shouldn't discourage him from applying to schools like Stanford or UCLA, but dang it, UofW is just as GOOD!!! :) Please I just need some other compassionate soul out there to agree with me lol~

2. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Yes, I know how you feel. We aren't quite there yet - next year for my oldest, but part of me wants to let him spread his wings, and part of me doesn't. BTW, if you son does go to UCLA we are close by (30 min, but my mom is around the corner) if you need an emergency contact, etc. I am hoping that if my son goes out of state, that he goes somewhere where we at least know someone. Good luck with everything - I am sure it will all work out in the end.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Well, I can't be of much comfort.:( We started out with all instate applications. Then, Alex applied to U of Mont (OMG!). He was accepted to 2-3 in state schools and Montana and then suddenly he is also accepted to a college in Oregon!(we are in VA) So, guess where he is....Oregon. It's scary at times and it's really, really expensive to send him there....the college is expensive and the airfare is expensive. He's paying what he can for it now and will pay us back later. But he's doing fine. He is independent!:rolleyes:

He went there to be with his gf. She dumped him before the first semester was over. But he loves it there.

I worry about the diabetes care. I worry about H1N1. I worry. But he'll be fine.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

They scare me, too! (Sorry, that's not much help, but it had to be said..)

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

We're in the middle of college apps here too with son who doesn't have D. He's looking at schools pretty close to home. That's his personality. I do feel your fear though. Hang in there - we'll be here for you no matter what!!! :cwds::cwds:

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we're just starting the process with my child wtihout D and it scares the heck out of me. I don't even know what I"ll do when it comes to Ian. I told someone today the whole process makes me feel like puking! lol

it's HARD!!!!!!!!!!!

7. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Mine are doing the 2yr comm college thing first and then transfering out to another instate college.
    I remember my first 2 years of college and all i did was party. had no idea what I wanted to do.

8. skimom

skimom Approved members

My oldest is now in second year at UVIC- he loves it! Yes I worry (but I would even if he was at home) Our pump rep has given us all the info needed for our son to contact the pump rep in his university town,Our endo got him a referral to a local diabetes clinic so he has a doctor to request at the hospital if he needs help - the clinic at the university is awesome and they look after him immediately if he has any medical issues and consult with an endo if required . The pharmacist at the university is also great -we just gave him a list of supplies the week before school started and he made sure to carry everything my son needed - bills us directly for any amounts not covered by our insurance or the medical insurance that all students get as part of their enrollment...
    TO be honest, it is hard to let our babies go even if they weren't diabetic .I find my son is actually more responsible with his care now .

9. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Believe me, as a college freshman I know how scary they can be. But it's all worth it in the end. I really love college and living in a dorm is probably the best experience in my life:)

10. SugarMama

SugarMama Approved members

I let me oldest go recently, and he's been having a blast. It's normal to worry, but you'll feel better soon 8)