- advertisement -

Cleaning out -- what to do with supplies?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nebby3, Aug 28, 2014.

1. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My dd has had D for almost 11 yrs now and the extra supplies are piling up. Any idea what to do with them?
    Here is what I have:
    stuff people might want:
    lots of tegaderm and IV prep
    2 purple sport kids cases for supplies - 1 small with flowers, 1 large with lions/jungle theme - both could use a wash but have held up really well
    Accucheck nano new in box, exp in 2015
    groovy patches made to fit rapid D/contact detach I think (fabric stickers to decroate pump sites basically)

more useless stuff:
    2 accucheck and 2 freestyle meters -- all are older and may have passed their expiration dates
    rapid D infusions sets -- most expired 4/2014, some may be older even
    cozmo pump cartridges
    expired glucagon

If you know where I can donate things, please let me know. If you want anything, PM me.

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Haha, I also have like 10 boxes of Cozmo cartridges. My Cozmo still works so maybe I'll need to use it someday? I also have my Omnipod, 530g, and 522 though! Just need a T Slim and an Animas pump to round off my collection!

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

You can use the expired glucagon to practice. :)

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I have an expired glucagon that I'm planning to use to make a how-to video for grandparents/caregivers. It looks more intimidating than it is!

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I have two pretty little cozmos I can't bear to part with but I am finally clearing out other supplies. We do practice with expired glucagon but still have more. We don't need that much practice.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Sometimes the hospitals like them to use to teach newly diagnosed families how to use them.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

If you yourself don't need the glucagons for practice, see if your endo team would like them.

Ours practically falls all over themselves with excitement whenever I give them supplies, especially expired glucagons.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

A little off topic, but do meters expire? I thought it was just the strips.

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I have some meters still in the box with expiration dates on them.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Ditto. I had no idea that meters expire. I'm wondering if, like most medications that are still completely potent long after their printed expirations dates, test strips are actually still accurate for a while (or longer) after their expiration dates.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We cleaned out the diabetes drawers recently and found an old box of test strips that had expired a month prior. The meter puts up a code that means they're expired. Expensive lesson to learn:mad:

12. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Grrr.... I hate when things are preprogrammed to expire. I really can't imagine that a month here or there makes a difference within tests strips.