- advertisement -

chronic headaches

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Omo2three, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

I have been having one migraine after another sometimes lasting three days.
    OTC meds sometimes work....

I went to my Dr. and she prescribed anti anxiety meds for prophylactic treatment. She stated that since its been ongoing its chronic and even when I don't have a true headache pain the foggy head and blurred vision are indicators of headache present. WTH? :confused:

Anyone here take headache meds? Curious what works for you...
    I am so tired of being dragged down with the migraines. I can't function with them, BTW that is why I have not been online much. :(

I drink coffee, diet pepsi in the morning just to get started....not both one or the other...I am wondering if the caffeine or nutra sweet are factors in the migraines.

I hate to be tired down to prescriptions...but it has to be better than just suffering with headaches.

If this is garbled its the headache..or can I blame perimenapause?:rolleyes: Brain tumor? I hope not!

2. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Last august I started having daily headaches. I started working with my gp, everything came back as fine and because of all my other conditions she sent me to a neurologist. He gave me Topamax as a prevantive and Fioricet or Maxalt for when I have headaches/migraines. We slowly built up the dose to where we are now. I am happy to say that I am now only have 1-3 headaches a week and feeling a lot better. I see him every 3 months and talk to his nurse in between visits.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I get migraines when it's too light inside or out.
    I also used to get them:
    1) the week before my period (TMI:eek:)
    2) after huge stress:rolleyes:

Sometimes though it can be a misalignement of sorts in your spinal cord. Bad posture or something like that. Stress can sometimes make us hunch (sp?) over our shoulders and put undue pressure on some nerves which can then cause headaches. Just a thought.

No real advice or meds info.

Massages, yoga may help.

Meds may help.

The caffeine is a double-edged thing. Some say it causes headaches. Others say it actually increases blood flow, so less headaches. Read that somewhere, can't remember where.

Hang in there. And don't google too much.;)

4. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

I see a neurologist (who specializes in headaches) for my migraines. According to him, a person who gets migraines is sensative to change. I take Topamax daily to try and prevent the migraines. I take Imitrex when I get a headache.

Some lifestyle changes the doctor recommended:
    1. No more then 1 beverage with caffeine a day
    2. Only limited amounts of Splenda - no other artificial sweeteners
    3. Maintain a regular schedule- go to bed at the same time everyday, get up at the same time everyday, eat meals at the same time everyday
    4. Hydration - drink 40-60 ozs. of non-caffeinated beverage a day
    5. Daily exersice

5. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

I have good results from Fiorinol. It has the following in it aspirin/butalbital/caffeine . I have used imitrex and others, but this one works the best for me.

6. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Now see, lack of caffiene gives me a headache. My dr gave me samples of a migraine med called Frova. It does seem to help. Also chamomile tea does. Theres also an OTC called 5HTP that taken daily can prevent headaches. It does work, The only reason I stopped taking it is it was contraindicated in one of my meds. Lay in a dark room w/ a cool wet rag. Try a hotbath too. Sometimes the key is relaxing although I know how hard that is.

I hope you feel better!! I get a lot of headaches - almost daily so I can understand how you feel. There are also herbal remedies that I can check out for you if you like. :)

7. Omo2three

I believe you are on to something there. I have a confession to make......

I am addicted to diet pepsi..seriously, I crave it! I drink at least 3 to 5 servings a day. I am going to try the diet elimination first......it was my one vice besides Ice cream.
    warning maybe moody and seriously crabby next few days! :p:p:p

8. Omo2three

I am copying and pasting this...and putting it on my frig in big bold letters! I have a Rx for imitrex and Amitrityline, nervous about all the side effects. My brother had trouble with some of them. Headaches run in our family, grandma, my dad, my brother....

I almost grabbed a diet pepsi....I am taking your advice...drinking water.

9. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I used to get these darn headaches all the time, now they are few and far between. I have one right now that I have had for 4 days, sometimes it fades, but its still there. I used to take imitrex for them, but it didn't always work and it made me tired and feel sick. Now, I just deal with it the best I can, by taking tylenol, and drinking water. I always think that when I go to sleep, I will wake up and it weill be gone, but it never is. They tend to last for a week or so.

10. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

You may want to cut back on the caffeine a little at a time to avoid a withdrawl headache. If you are used to a lot of caffeine and then stop completely, that's a sure fire way to trigger a headache.

11. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

You might want to try Excedrin instead of Tylenol if you haven't tried that yet. Lasting a week! I'm so sorry. :cwds:

12. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think it's great if you can cut out all soft drinks, but Diet Rite is not made with aspartame - rather it's Spenda - it's also sodium free and caffeine free too. :)

13. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

I, too, suffer from migraines - have had since I was really little. Lately I've been getting more recurrent headaches, and in some cases it's like one long, continuous migraine that goes on for as much as 3 weeks. Someone above mentioned fiorinal, and I find it works well for me when I do have a migraine - it's a double-edged sword, though, as taken too often it can deliver one wallop of a rebound headache! I take Amerge as a preventative, at first sign and it does help on many occasions.

Rebound headaches are common from a lot of different headache meds, so it may be worth taking a look at how often you've been taking medication over the last little while. In some cases, if you can get through a few days without taking anything, the headache will go away.

With my recent headaches, trying to white-knuckle through with no meds didn't make a difference. My doctor has now prescribed Naproxen, which I can take in combination with either the Amerge or Fiorinal if the headache isn't going away, and I was pleased that it did bring relief with my latest episode.

As an aside....for those of you that also get migraines, do you find that they are really bad during PMS? I never used to find that, but recently it's become like clockwork and that particular migraine seems almost impervious to medication. I'm turning 35 this year, and it seems that over the last year PMS has become a killer and I don't know if it's a normal change or not?

14. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I've tried Excedrin,it used to work a long time ago, but now it just makes it worse. I read somewhere that if you take meds w/ caffein (Excedrin), the rebound headache is way worse.

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Yeah there are different kinds of headaches too so different things will or will not work. I don't know what kind of specific headaches mine really are.

My story began with Excedrin being a good remedy for me, then Excedrin wouldn't be strong enough - then came Imitrex into the picture. Next I had to take so much Imitrex as I was tracking my migraines on a calendar. Under a physician's care, I went on Topamax preventatively. Now well over a year later my need for Imitrex is down to maybe 1 every 6 months - I was taking sometimes 3 Imitrex a week. If I do get a migraine now, I am back to where I can just take Excedrin again not an Imitex. I don't get anywhere near as many migraines, but I avoid aspartame, take Topamax, and I started using a Neti Pot for my sinuses. I can't avoid the barometric changes which I know are a huge trigger for me, all stress, and hormonal issues. I believe having chronic migraines is very depressing or at least is was for me. :cwds: I have great empathy for anyone who suffers from them.

16. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

About 5-6 years ago, I started having migraines on the second day of my period (not the first, not the third, the second...).

At first I thought it was sinus pain because my migraines are right on my forehead, but I realized it was not.

My family doctor prescribed Maxalt. When I take it early (i.e. at the first signs of the migraine), it works really, really well. But if I take it just a bit late, when the headache has really started, it does nothing, and I have a miserable, miserable day. So slowly I learned to recognize the signs and I haven't had a migraine that has fully developed in several months. Yay!

Btw, when I do have a migraine, it seems to linger for a couple of days. After the first day, it really is just a small headache and a hazy feeling, but it's really annoying.

Hope you find what works for you!