- advertisement -

Christmas trees, real or fake?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Nov 17, 2010.

1. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

That's what I was thinking. Our tree isn't much of a mess. It helps that we have hardwood floors so I just sweep after we take the tree out. But we buy the tree within a week of Christmas and keep it up about 1 week max after that. And keep it watered. We only put a few lights on it and only have those on while we are in the room...so fire hazards are lessened.

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

LOL!!! We actually made a small Festivus Pole one year.....love the feats of strength and the airing of grievances!!!!:D

3. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

I've always had a real tree until last year. I never thought I'd get a fake tree, but I loved the idea of being able to put it up early and not have to remember to water it all the time. Many years my family made a day of going to a tree farm and cutting down the perfect tree and I loved that. However, in recent years it seemed harder and harder to find the time to do all that and it is expensive. My thought when we got the artificial was that if we decide we want a real tree one year we can always switch back. Just because we bought an artificial doesn't mean we have to use it every year. I love the ease of putting up the artificial as opposed to a real. We've had years that we couldn't get the real to stand up straight and it's fallen over - none of these worries with the artificial! Also, there is no mess :) The one we bought is pre-lit and that makes it really nice -- maybe I'm just lazy ;)

4. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Growing up we always had a real tree--didn't really have much choice back in the olden days. After we got married, we had a real tree for a few years, but my allergies would get so bad, we finally went with fake. I now have 2 small fake ones that I have been using the last 3-4 years.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Kind of a funny story about decorating Christmas tree. When I was growing up we always decorated the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. I assumed that everyone must do that. As I got older I realized that others put theirs up much earlier. I figured it must be a long standing tradition with either my Mom or Dad's side of the family that they chose to continue.

I asked my Dad finally one of his last Christmas' why we decorated on Christmas Eve and he replied. "With 8 kids in the house and usually a couple of them toddling and getting into everything your Mother and I didnt dare set it up any sooner:) So not the old fashioned family tradition steeped in thoughts of the old country but pretty cute;)

6. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

I love real ones but after my incident with the pine bedding for our guinia pigs last month and giving myself bronchitus 2x i dont know that i will try it this year :(
    I pout every year putting the fake one up ...untill its decorated and all purdy and i dont have to clean up needles and water it lol ...its still not the same

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

airing of grievances is my utter favorite. But I"m sure that was obvious.

actually, if you cut them down yourself you can easily get 6 weeks or more. The problem is (this is more than you've wanted to know I'm sure) that your little road side stand tree was cut down in late October, early november and trucked to wherever you live, so by the time you buy it in December it's already really really old and why you only get a few weeks. If that.

When we had a live tree we would cut ours the weekend of thanksgiving and with proper watering we had it up easily till past Epiphany. And with very few lost needles, provided it was watered enough (sometimes twice a day early on.)

8. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

So true Michelle!!!!:)

But I am a real treehugger myself...;)

9. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We're a real tree family. We make a weekend of going up to northern NH, wandering in the woods for hours on end (as my DH would tell you....), and finding 2 awesome trees. Unfortunately, I need to look at every tree in the forest from every angle before deciding which ones would be good. :D

10. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

When I first read Frizzyrazzy's post... I was laughing. Now I'm laughing so hard I'm crying... thanks for that:D

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

actually, we just have a really really big tree. LOL.
    obviously, I meant to say "as long as your family is around it..." but it's funnier this way.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

See, we always actually lie under the tree the first night as a family and look up at the lights and stuff and talk about Christmas....so that is totally what I thought she meant :D

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Isn't decorating the tree on Christmas Eve a German tradition. But, they also have the Christmas pickle. I bought a glass one of those.

14. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im pretty sure the Walton's decorated theirs on Christmas Eve in the movie "The homecoming" I love that movie and watch every year. None of my relatives are German but my Gramma was Czechoslovakian so maybe she did bring this tradition back from the old country after all;)

15. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Since I am so old, I have a wealth of experience with Christmas trees! The first year I was married, we had no money and decided to skip the tree. We looked out our window onto the road in front of oue home and saw a tree fly off the top of a car-after waiting a whole day with no one coming back to claim it, we ran across the road and got the most beautiful tree we have ever had. One year, we got a huge rooted tree that we intended to plant at our entry. My brother helped us bring it up the entry stairway, then I broke my arm, my brother lived three hundred miles away and the tree sat growing in our living room for almost 6 months. The next live tree fell over one night-we wondered what the noise was as we lay in bed-the next morning, our carpet was soaked with sap- filled water. We then got a massive 11' artificial tree to fill the corner of our preVictorian living room tha took days to put together and decorate, longer to take down and store. I now have an artificial pre-lit tree that takes about 1 hour to bring out of storage, plug in and decorate. We are leaving that in storage this year due to health challenges. What have I learned? That my family sitting in front of the fireplace roasting marshmallows is better than any tree. Thanks for letting me tell my long story.

16. Mom of 3 BOYS

Mom of 3 BOYS Approved members

its so cool to cut your own tree from a farm!!!!!! thats what i would do for sure!

i live in south florida (no tree farms) but we have big tents full of already picked and cut christmas trees.... by the time you buy them they don't smell that much and they only last a couple of weeks... but going as a family and the experience is the best part of it. (its not the same feeling getting a tree from storage in your attic)

17. timsma

timsma Approved members

You are cracking me up!!!!!!!! I honestly can't stop laughing!!! Thanks, I so needed a good laugh! I AM sorry for you though. We always get a real tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving and leave it up till just after Christmas.

18. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

This cracks me up! Mostly because I totally identify with it. About 4 years ago I got into putting together the actual tree...which is now about 21 years old. When I saw the falling apart instructions and the barely readable letters I was like "There has GOT to be an easier way to do this..." And my mom told me to go for it. I re-wrote the instructions on a NEW piece of paper and relabeled every branch. Last year I put it up (after sorting and fluffing) and realized that there were two big holes. By the end of the season, there was a third hole, and one of the others was now HUGE.

We got a new, pre-lit tree this year :).

19. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

I am allergic to Pine so I do not do real trees! I have always done fake. We currently have a 12 foot prelit tree. We often have people tell us "where is the smell of the tree it looks so real" I love my tree. We put it up last week and it is great fun for my girls.

20. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

You're welcome for the laughs! Maybe I should take a picture of the box that is held together with duct tape and the piles of branches that make me itch just thinking about them? Since our house is on the market right now, maybe we can skip the tree? I think I'm prefer a bonfire, and I know just what I'd use as kindling :p.