- advertisement -

Choosing a Pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sterling1, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

I just found out that we are actually getting insurance that covers a pump! YAY!:D

During conversations with the staff at the endo's office I know that they prefer MM. I do eventually want to get her the CGMS so that is going to be a factor in the future.

BUT..given everything you folks know about these things what would be your first choice any why?

I want to make an informed decision.

Thanks,
    Diane

2. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

Well, here are two answers to your question (different, of course):

1. I think there is a lot to be said for getting a pump that your endo is comfortable with, especially if you expect to be using the same endo for a while. If the endo doesn't want to deal with one type of pump, I would try hard to avoid that pump. So I would talk to your endo, and find out if they really like MM or if they are interested in other pumps as well. Generally what their attitude is.

2. We use (and love) Animas. Our's is now 4 years old and works fine. My daughter has gotten it wet (even in the ocean), and it has performed very well. So if you endo is willing to support it, I would consider it. Especially if your kid is small, Animas can handle smaller basil doses.

Joshua Levy

3. sariana

sariana Approved members

We are looking into getting a pump for ours... Hubby is going to info night this Thursday to learn about them. We are given the options of Animas, Cozmo, MM, and Omnipod. From what I have been able to research, I am liking the Animas and the omipod.

Omnipod has no tubes (big bonus for little ones...), but the pod is only waterproof for 30 minutes :(

Animas is waterproof and will be getting CGMS perhaps later this year... My daughter starts swimming lessons and she LOVES to swim. We try to let her do everything that her siblings get to do

We will know more when we go to Info night. You might want to see if they are doing any Info nights where you are located. My Endo has them once a month...

Do some research and talk with your Endo and see what your options are...Also I would verify with the Insurance, they may have limits to what you can get... This will all help you select the one that you want...

4. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

We have only used the MM522, and like it. Our Endo suggested it, and we just agreed, but have not tried any others. The smallest basal dose increment is 0.05 u/hr, and the smallest bolus increment is 0.1 u/hr. DD started pumping just before her 2nd birthday.

5. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

This site compares all of the insulin pumps available.
    http://http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php

We have the MM522 and really like it. Minimed is supposed to be coming out with a new pump very soon that will have the smaller basal increments (0.025). We will hopefully start the CGMS soon and wanted to have the integrated system. Good luck in your decision. Most people are very happy with whatever pump they have choose!

6. sariana

sariana Approved members

Linkie not working :( at least for me...

7. sonwtype1

sonwtype1 Approved members

My vote is for the omnipod. My son 12 has been on it now since December and we LOVE IT!!! We were told all kinds of things that could go wrong with it and my son decided he wanted no tubes so we went with the omnipod. He plays football, basketball ect.. and his pump never comes off. Actually its hard to get it off when you change it. I also saw someone who was bummed because it is only water proof for 30min. Well, actually it can only be under the water for 30 min. You can come out of the water for a min. and go back in for another 30. You don't have to change it just because it was in water for 30min so keep that in mind. My son says he actually forgets that it is on. The only thing you have to keep in mind with the omnipod is that they don't have to have the PDM on them like the other pumps so they have to be responsible enough to have it near them if they have to give a bolus. Since the omnipod is relatively new to our area our endo's had their reservations and wanted us to go with animas or the mini med, but we did what we thought was right for our son and have no regrets. The endo's are now more open to the pod and will definetely recommend it to other patients if our son has continued success on it.

Good Luck!!
    Sue

8. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

9. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Once you verify which pumps your insurance will cover, you can arrange for the each of the reps to bring the pump to your house so you can play around with it a bit. We had the choice between Animas and Minimed. My 17 year old chose the MM722 because of the integrated CGMS, something he may like to try in the future. He also liked that they had been around for a while and had a good reputation. His endo had endorsed the MM because she felt that it was more durable, though she said that the Animas pump was improving in this area. The Ping is a nice pump and I'm sure he would have been happy with either, he just felt this was right for him now.

Good luck!

10. sariana

sariana Approved members

Finally got it to work... That is better then what I worked on to see the differences in the 4 pumps that I was looking at.

However, I noticed a few quirks with it... In Water? column.. It lists a few of them as water tight... yet the manuals say waterproof for 30 min and 8FT of water... lol...

Grr. this is so confusing...

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we chose the mm522 2.5 years ago.. our biggest thing was the cgms.. we were concerned about basal rates and small dosages of insulin.. so we briefly looked at the animas, but ultimately decided on the MM pump. We liked everything about it and haven't regretted my decision, ever.. Each pump does the basic stuff, and then each has their own 'special' things about them.. you have to decide what you'd like the most.

12. sariana

sariana Approved members

The CGMS is a thought for us too... Hopefully we will have a better idea after Thursday. As it is.. each one has one benefit that I like.. I wish that they all did :(

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We chose the MM, mostly because of the CGMS, but also because of the fact that it has been around so long and Medtronic's reputation. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the same pump. We're very happy.

14. Boo

Boo Approved members

It seems to me that most people are very happy with whichever brand pump they choose. If you do some research, and decide which factors are most important, I think you will be very happy with whatever choice you make.

We went with MM based on a recommendation from a friend whose son uses one also. I am very happy with our decision. It is very user friendly, and we have had no issues with it All of my interactions with minimed have been fantastic. We are in the monthly restocking program (not sure what it's called) which sends all necessary supplies automatically each month (no need to reorder). MM used to be rated as "waterproof", but they changed it to "water resistant" even though no actual changes were made in the design. My son takes his off to swim (not a big deal). Said friend (mentioned above) wears his to swim...though I wouldn't recommend it in case it gets ruined and isn't replaced by MM or covered by insurance.

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

I am swaying towards MM because of the endo.
    And all the good things I am hearing.

BUT...I like the idea of no tubing with the omni pod

haven't opened the info from Cozmore yet just because I feel like my brain is melting :rolleyes:

I guess I will also request info from Animas..

Gee there are no simple answers etc. when managing this disease are there?

16. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

This is precisely how we felt. The way we finally narrowed it down was by meeting with the reps for our top 2 picks (Animas and MM) and then we had to make our pro list -- the list included the features of each pump that we really loved. In the end, the Ping won out for 4 reasons.

1. the remote bolusing -- Hanna LIVES in dresses and for us, having her be able to dose in public without having to access her pump was a HUGE factor in choosing this pump.

2. the smallest dosing increments -- we wanted the most finite dosing available and only Animas had it. I understand MM is coming out with comparable dosing capabilities in their next model this spring.

3. the look of the pump -- frankly, Hanna liked it better and so did we. We liked the full color screen (so easy to read when we need to make adjustments at night while she's sleeping or any other low light situation), she liked the colors of the pump and the colored sets etc.

4. waterproof -- it may be no more waterproof than anything else out there, but Animas claims it is and therefore will back up that warranty if one of my other kids flushes it down the potty or if Hanna forgets to disconnect and jumps into a swimming pool. ;)

You just have to meet with the rep and push some buttons. See how you feel about holding it, using it etc and then think hard about YOUR lifestyle and what would make it work BEST for you. For some, this is all about the tubing (or no tubing!) so they go with the Pod. For others, it's all about the CGMS which Animas *will* have but doesn't currently, so that has to factor in too if you are interested in that.

HTH! Happy pump choosing! I know just how hard it can be but we are TOTALLY thrilled with our choice and I think most people are.

17. Denise

Denise Approved members

Our pump chose was slightly influenced by our endo but not by much. She absolutely does not like a certain pump and has strongly discouraged us from using it. We went with MM because of their reputation and our area rep. We never received a call from Animas. They sent us a packet and then a follow up letter but no person to person contact. This is what swayed me. It is very possible that for another company in your area. I have been told by others that their MM rep was horrible. I think it depends on where you live. We got lucky..a mentor type of person who lives in our small town ...her daughter uses the MM as well so I feel confident if I needed hands on help, she'd be able to help w/ no issues. Molly didn't have a huge desire to choose the pump other than the color. :rolleyes: I say go with your gut. Make sure you see them in person and go from there!

18. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

I think you really can't go wrong... they are all good machines. We chose the Cozmo pump, will be getting started next week. Good luck with your decision!

19. DianninIowa

DianninIowa Approved members

well---

we chose the MM722 because my son really wanted theCGMS and we hae been happy AFTER we learned it. Our biggest problem was our trainer who lived 2-3 hours away, would only meet with us on her schedule at a place of her choice, and she was brand new and just simply did not know what she was doing. Several people here encouraged me to fire her and call minimed but it took me over a month to finally do just that. I think your training is just as important as your choice of pump. No matter what you choose, be sure your trainer is what you need.