- advertisement -

Chinese Food

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LauraC, Mar 26, 2015.

1. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Has anyone had success with bolusing for chinese food? I always extend the bolus, but don't seem to get the split and timing correct. She either goes low within an hour and is high all night or spikes and stays there. I'm thinking I need to start an increased temp basal shortly after we eat next time. She usually has general tso's with brown rice. (She has milk and fruit too.) Any suggestions?

2. glko

glko Approved members

We bolus for the carbs in the food, half at start of meal then the rest after he finishes (since often the servings are so big he does not eat it all), then temp bolus +20% for 3 hours after. Works okay, our motto is "test and correct" on those nights.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

Chinese food is on my list titled: "things that are the spawn of satan."

I'm not sure what it is about Chinese food (american, take out chinese food) but it's never the same twice. We just hope for the best, and work with what the Dexcom is telling us at the time. It's a fly by the seat of our pants thing, here.

4. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

Here is some information we received at our last appointment from UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento:
    Advanced bolusing options:
    Extended or square wave bolus allows insulin to be delivered slowly over time instead of in one large dose. The extended delivery of insulin can more closely match the rate of food digestion and can help control post-meal blood sugar levels. Insulin delivery can generally be extended from 1/2 hour to 8 hours.

The dual/combo wave bolus combines a normal bolus with a square wave. It enables you to program a normal and a square wave bolus at the same time. The pump will deliver the normal bolus you programmed, followed by the square wave.

THE BEST USE OF BOLUS FEATURES IS TO USE THE DUAL/COMBO WAVE WITH COMBINATION FOODS.

When to use the extended/square or dual/combo bolus :

- If you notice low glucose within an hour of eating, followed by high glucose 2-4 hours after eating
    •High fat foods such as pizza, Chinese food, fast food (meals with more than 20 grams of fat are considered high fat meals)
    •Complex carbohydrate foods like pasta
    •High carbohydrate meals (75 grams of carbohydrate or more)

The higher the fat and more food you eat, the longer you should extend your bolus. Start with a 1 hour dual/combo wave insulin bolus split as 50% normal/ 50% square and test 1, 2 and 3 hours after your meal to see how your blood sugar is doing. If you are low at 1 hour then you will need less of the normal bolus and more of the dual bolus, ie 35%normal/65% square. If your blood sugar is higher than expected at 3 hours, extend the bolus longer next time, ie 2 hours rather than 1 hour.

As always, testing blood sugar frequently will help you understand when it’s best to use a dual wave vs. a square/extended wave vs. a normal bolus.

5. LauraC

LauraC Approved members

Thanks glko. We tried again last night. I bolused 50/50 over 2 hours and set a 30% temp basal for 3 hours. She started at 149 and was 120 at 3 hours post meal. Around midnight she was 198, at 3 am she was 176 and this morning she was 150. I'm very happy with that. According to the dexcom, she didn't go over 200. I could probably temp basal for 4 hours next time, but I know this could have been a lucky fluke. :)

Thanks for the laugh!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We had Chinese take-out last night. We estimated 70g did 40/60 split over 4 hrs and it worked well. She was 96 going in and didn't go above 170, but the next time we do that again she'll be 380 by midnight and or 57 at 10 PM or both.

The. Least. Predictable. Food. Ever.

7. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

It's not advice or consolation, but as a type 1 in China, it's not just American take-out. I've found a ton of unpredictability over here too. Some meals it's completely normal, and some do the weird American take-out thing. I've stopped worrying about it as much and use a lot more temp basals than I did before. Dex is a life saver in this, but it's hard for me to get sensors so I spend a lot of time without it too. I've got speculations about MSG as a possible culprit, but I can't prove it. The other thing I've noticed though is that the meals are always much higher fat than you think they are, both from meat and oil.