- advertisement -

Child's age, gender, and TDD

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I think I "peaked" at about 100 units/day right before I got my first period (around 15/16). I was on steroids at the time for another medical condition so not sure how valid that is. I must have been maybe 80 lbs at the most then so well over 2 units/kg. I ended up adding metformin and that worked well to reduce the amount of insulin needed. I don't think you can compare the amount of insulin adults need with the amount growing kids need. Now at 21, I am around 110 lbs. somewhat active, and use symlin and I use anywhere from 15 to 20 units/ day. I would use around 25-30 without the symlin. I eat a pretty high carb diet but need very little insulin with meals due to the symlin. I'm at about 75% basal.

2. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

12 1/2 year old boy here. TDD is around 65-70 on MDI. He weighs around 122 pounds. We will hopefully be pumping soon, so we will see if that makes a difference.

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

12 year old. Weight: 85 lbs. TDD 20-24 units.

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

this was so much easier to figure out when she was on the pump! LOL! But let's see..Ashleigh is 16 right now her Lantus is at 35 units + all her food. I'm going to say around 60-70+ units TDD; depending on how little or much she eats during the day. and of course if corrections are needed that adds to it.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

13 years old. 5'5", 100 pounds. Puberty, no period yet. TDD 35 to 65 (it's all over the place from day to day...)

6. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

jesse , 23,
    diagnosed 12/2001

currently using 80U day via tslim pump
    during puberty- when he was 13-17 years old he used close to 125 U a day
    I find it odd, that his basal rate is pretty much the same for the last 8 years... 33-35U a day

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

If your weight and general activity level is pretty stable and you are through with major hormonal changes, longer and different story with females, I think the basal rate will stay pretty constant. Mine changes with more than 5 pounds of weight change, and if my exercise is not regular. I am small so a bigger person may not see an issue till 10 pounds. I am now past major hormonal changes and the more stable insuin levels are a shocker...I am down to exercise and weight and sometimes the type of diet. ali

8. GChick

GChick Approved members

Full blown adult here who can also comment/confirm that teens will often/usually need more than adults.

my current 14 day average has me at 27 units TDD... but I can swing easily from 25 to 40 depending on what I eat.
    (basal 40-45%)

I recall in my teens needing about 60 units TDD... but that was obviously without a pump. on shots I find you need more anyway.

edited to add in weight:
    I don't keep a solid track of that, but anywhere from 142 lbs to 150 lbs
    for every 5 lbs I lose I tend to need ~ 1 less unit of basal

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

almost 11 years old budding and hair growth girl, 72lbs TDD 25units but A1C up to 8.2, obviously needing more insulin.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD peaked out at around 70-75 units a day, I believe at age 13. Now at age 19 she's in the 30-35 unit a day range (on a vegan diet).

11. andiej

andiej Approved members

My DS just turned 12, diagnosed 2 years ago. Now going through puberty, weighs 112 lbs and is very tall at 5ft 9. Averages between 35 - 47 TDD. At our last appointment we were told this could still go much much higher.

12. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

Jesse is now 6'5 weighs 210 lbs..

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sounds like our girls are in very similar places. She went from budding to full out needing a bra in, I swear, a course of a few weeks. Her A1C was 7.0 with the 50 some units of insulin and we even upped some of the basal rates. The only reason her TDD isn't even higher is that she has two days of multiple hours of dance and we have to drop her basal about 60% during those times and less for hours after, so she doesn't get a lot of basal on those days.

She was 5' tall and 100 lbs at her appointment two weeks ago. My older two reached 5'2" right around when they were 13 (I know that milestone because that's my height). Emma is likely to pass it in the next 6 months - she's starting puberty much earlier than my other two and boy I am not ready!

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think you may have just hit a magic number for yourself on insulin need. Honestly we have been in this a long tine, and we have been gone for awhile now, but your girl has needed a lot more insulin than my girl for the past few years even before pre-puberty.

Get back to basics.

How is your variability/standard deviation?

How is your a1c?

Is there room for imporvment?