- advertisement -

children taking statins?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hfbernard, May 27, 2010.

1. hfbernard

hfbernard New Member

Our Endo has given us a prescription for lipitor for our 12 year old T1 son to lower his LDL cholesterol from 120 to the preferred level for diabetics of "less than 100". The MD says this will be a life-time medication because statins are so much better at lowering LDL than diet and exercise.

My husband and I are extremely reluctant to give this medication to our son - not only do statins have serious side effects but there is little data - and no long term data at all - on the effect on growing children. Also the amount his LDL needs to be lowered is so small this seems like over-kill. All the rest of our son's numbers are excellent and we have altered his diet and exercise regimen to try to impact the LDL without the medication.

Please will you let me know if you have had any experience with this issue - or know of children taking this medication.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If the family is on board with trying to naturally lower the levels with diet and exersicce then, I would hold off on any medication and give the natural way a try first, maybe a year. and see if levels have come down.

I do her of D children starting statins at the preteen years much more often now, mine still has 5-10 years to go. By then more data will be available for me to make a choice if our efforts do not make a dent.

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I used to sell a statin drug that has since been pulled from the market due to dangerous side effects.
    There is no way I'd put my kid on one at this point.

I would recommend doing some research on natural ways to reduce cholesterol. I have my non D dd on taurine and lecithin for issues no MD was able to figure out, but a naturopath suggested it and I'm blown away at the difference, she is so much better.

MD's often have a hard time thinking of alternatives, even if you don't feel comfortable going the homeopathic route, there are other cholesterol lowering meds which are much safer than statins, and much safer too

4. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've stopped Statins, I never took the correct dose because I'm not a believer in meds, but did take a bare minimum, now there's a study that supports my suppositions, and my last blood work showed vast changes to Urine Albumin Random, and Creatinine.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I would not even consider it with an LDL of 120, and certainly not in a child. Is the prescriber a pediatric endocrinologist? Many of my adult family members and friends have had terrible side effects.

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

7. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

It seems crazy to put a little kid on statins with cholesterol of 120. This is low enough that some tweaks to diet and exercise should do the trick.

DS inherited my high cholesterol, which I inherited from my father, which he inherited from his mother... DS's LDL is above 260 :eek: But he's only 7. We saw a pediatric cardiologist and were told that statins before puberty were not at all a good idea. He suggested diet and exercise (which DS gets plenty of, and I'm working on the diet part :rolleyes:), but we're fighting with genetics here...

8. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I agree with the others. I think try the natural route here first. While doctors seem to love statins, they can have nasty side effects and going the natural route is a much better alternative.

9. hfbernard

hfbernard New Member

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who answered - it makes a big difference to hear others having a similar response to the idea of statins for children - we will definitely stay with the diet and exercise route and see what transpires. -Heather