- advertisement -

Chicken with fresh spices

Discussion in 'Recipe Exchange' started by Ellen, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm sorry I don't have the nutritional info but our family loves this. I serve this over a basmati rice filled with fruit/nuts/veggies
    Chicken with fresh spices

Categories: Chicken Indian
    Yield: 1 servings
    3tbCorn or peanut oil
    3mdOnions, sliced thin
    3Cloves garlic, put through a press
    1Inch fresh gingerroot, grated
    4Whole fresh hot red chilies, seeded( substitute a more mild pepper)
    2Pods cardamom
    2Whole cloves
    2Peppercorns
    1Stick cinnamon
    1tsSalt, or to taste
    1cFresh ripe tomatoes, sliced thin or canned
    ¼tsGround turmeric
    3lbChicken, cut into 8 serving pieces with loose skin and fat discarded
    ¼cFresh coriander, chopped
    3cCoconut milk
    1Lemon juice
    A spicy curry does not necessarily mean that the amount of incendiary chili is the paramount seasoning. The Bene Israel use garlic, ginger, cardamom, clove, cinnamon, and turmeric to produce intensity. Coconut milk also is important to mellow and blend the whole. 1. In a pan, heat the oil and stir-fry the onions over moderate heat until they are golden brown. Add the garlic, ginger, chilies, cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, and salt. Continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and turmeric and mix well for 2 minutes. 2. Add the chicken and fresh coriander and stir for 3 minutes until the chicken changes color. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the lemon juice. This curry does have ample sauce. Serve hot with rice, salad, and cooked vegetables. Makes 6 servings. Recipe: "Sephardic Cooking" by Copeland Mark -- 600 Recipes Created in Exotic Sephardic Kitchens from Morocco to India -- Copyright 1992 Published by Donald I. Fine, Inc., New York, N.Y.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006