- advertisement -

Checking during the night?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by happyearthgirl, Jun 12, 2012.

1. happyearthgirl

happyearthgirl Approved members

How often do you check your kids during the night? My husband thinks that if my son doesn't have active insulin, that there isn't a chance of him going dangerously low. I disagree but was wondering what others have to say?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Your husband is incorrect. There are so many other factors besides insulin that effect the bg level that it is a mistake (sometimes fatal) to think that only bolus insulin is a factor. There is the basal insulin to consider, food eaten during the day, activity, illness, hormones, day of the week, phase of the moon, Destiny, etc. All play a part and are often unpredictable. I am also not sure what he means by "active insulin". If he means a bolus, then there have been many times that my daughter has not had a bolus of insulin on board and has gone low during the night.

I have checked her every night, multiple times a night, since she has been dx, almost 6 years now. And I plan to continue to check her every night until she leaves the house. Even if it makes me look 20 years older than I really am. :eek:

It is not only lows that you need to be concerned with, but also high bg's as well. Over time, those can be very damaging to their bodies.

For me, it is totally worth the lack of sleep, to make sure she is as safe and healthy as possible. I feel like it is my job as a parent to do that. Each person/family needs to do what they feel is best for them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Would you go 8-10 hours during the day without checking your son? Of course not. It doesn't matter if it is day or night, their blood glucose needs to be checked.

4. happyearthgirl

happyearthgirl Approved members

I do mean insulin on board. That has also been my understanding. My son has a CGM and his basals are pretty stable but I always think there can be a "what if" so I do the same thing and check him a couple times during the night just to be safe. I would never sleep otherwise.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

on a good night Ashleigh gets checked twice. once at midnight and once again at 3am. However now that school's out she's sleeping in so i also check her at 6am (that's normally the time she wakes up for school) and sometimes 9am if she's still snoozing at that time.

6. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

I usually check 3 hours from DS's bedtime snack bolus. I keep in mind he has a small amount of active. I do this so I can catch a low if it's on its way or correct a high. I'll check him again pretty soon after I get up in the morning, so about 4-5 hours later.

If there's anything I can't explain (high or low), I'll check more than once during the night. I've done more than a couple 2am, half-awake set changes.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We CGM, and our endo still wants us to check once per night. Last night, I set the alarm for 3 a.m. She alarmed low at 1:30. No IOB on board at bedtime. I thoroughly disagree with your husband. Basal rates change and create highs and lows. My guess is that he's not involved enough to see what really happens, if he's saying that.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I support this statement and we have a CGM. My friends call me the Vampire.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'll pipe in as one of the few here who only check if there is some indication for it, but my son is older and was diagnosed as a teenager, so I do believe that factors in.

We check if there are changes in routine and/or dosage, so if we change basals or if his activity level changes (sports usually) then we check. If he's ill or has had unexplainable wonky numbers, we check. Generally, we do not, but we do verify that things are level via CGM.

It's definitely an individual thing, and he is very sensitive to lows.

I will say, however, that if I had a younger child I would check regularly. Not that my son is exempt from problems, but it's more that we are in the transition time of leaving our home, so trying to train him in ways to prepare for that.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I've been called worse..... :D

11. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Yes, multiple times.....

always at 9:30pm
    always at midnight
    at 2am if the midnight # was hi/lo
    if I'm fighting a hi, again at 3am
    he wakes up at 5am for the day, so we check then too.

12. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I check Sophie before bed (around midnight-One a.m.) then when she gets up at 6:30. BUT now that we're in the summer, hubs checks her before he leaves for work at around 6:00 a.m. We'll check once more if she's been having highs, or lows, extra activety, or been sick.

13. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We don't check every night, I did check tonight because I am up and she went for an hour walk at 8:30 tonight. She is 124 so all is well. Wish my rheumatoid arthritis would let me go back to sleep now since I have to be up in 4 hours.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My standard line is "you wouldn't go that long during the day without checking, so why at night?"

We check every night at 10pm and 2am. If she is high/low we will test again. Currently my daughter has activities at night that will have an impact on her bg's, and we don't usually see issues until during the middle of the night.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I have slept through the alarm:eek:

15. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I always check multiple times per night, on no set schedule though, as I am also a vampire.

Last night at 2am check my ds was 130, I check again at 4 and he was 42! No insulin on board , no extra activity yesterday absolutely nothing out of the ordinary that would make me think he would drop like that in about 2 hours....just d being d.

As long as my ds is under my roof I will continue to do middle of the night checks.

16. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

This is me. My son is also older and very sensitive to lows. If there have been changes to his insulin doses or activity, I'll get up and check. If I wake up in the middle of the night and my mom-senses are tingling, I'll check. If he's had an off day chasing highs or lows, I'll check. But mostly, if he's had a "normal" day and goes to bed fine, I won't.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You mean we aren't supposed to go away to college with them? Or climb in through their dorm room window to do checks?:eek::D

18. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I've caught a few lows at night, so we always check.

He goes to bed at 9:30.
    I check at 1:00 am and 5:00 am; sometimes more if things are out of whack (late dinner or sports, etc.)

19. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Every night, always. We're 4 years into this, and we NEVER skip a night. We check about every 3 hours, and swap the schedule to see what's going on at different times of the night.

I'm a stay-home mom, so I do the week nights, because my husband goes to work. Friday & Saturday nights, he handles it, so I can get some sleep, but we never skip.

20. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

My parents stopped checking me every night after about 3 years. Then around middleschool they stopped night checking period. I asked them why they stopped... and I got yelled at. so in my situation, I just rely on my lows to wake me up if there is a problem. And so far, I haven't had any serious issues.