- advertisement -

Changing settings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Portabella, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

At what point (or age) can you change the basals, adjust I:C ratios, etc. without the doctor's approval?

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I like to keep the endo notified of any times where I think my insulin dose needs to be adjusted and let them make the final decision regarding my normal basal settings. If I want to test and see how a basal rate will adjust my BG (such as seeing whether increasing an overnight basal will decrease elevated fasting levels), I might play with the temp rate features on my pump.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I started about two months in after finding Think Like A Pancreas at the library. We were never taught what to look for, how much to adjust, etc. which I feel is a major fail in the system we were in.

4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

I started after the month long pump training we had with the Animas nurse, I was chomping at the bit :) by then I had figured out how it worked and felt comfortable making changes on my own. Our endo's office usually takes 2 days to call back with number changes and I am too impatient to wait when we start having bad numbers.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

As soon as your comfortable do it. Today if you ready. Go small and see how he responds. If you see bumps or dips in the basal don't be afraid to add an extra program. If you need to add an extra basal program you want the change to go into effect 1-2 hours before you want the change too happen. Eventually you'll get to a point where you never call the endo.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014