- advertisement -

Changing insulin pumps?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jun 23, 2013.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Dd has been pumping with Minimed Paradigm 522 for the past 4 years. Warranty is up and we are thinking about a change. In the lead is the Accucheck combo - dd is 12 and would much rather have a meter linked to the pump so she can bolus from there versus pulling her pump out and showing it off tomthe world. Also looking at the ping. Looking for any input, pros and cons from the troops - have visited the websites but looking for real world user info

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can't recall many members who use the accucheck ... I've never even seen one.

Lots of Animas users. We used it for about a week :p It's not my favorite pump due to the need to scroll up the bolus amount and the <200u cartridge but many folks love it.

We currently have the mm723, it's fine but we don't ever use the linked meter. The new Tandem T:slim is the other 300u pump which might be worth looking at for a 12 year old whose insulin needs will probably increase a great deal over the next 4 years.

I'm sure others will chime in with more first hand experienced with the linked meters.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have only played with the Accuchek-combo once. The meter is really nice and it uses aviva strips which are awesome. But from what I understand the pump itself does not have a bolus wizard. The meter/remote does but if you only have the pump with you, you would have to dose insulin in units rather than entering carbs and bg to get a suggested dose. That was the deal-breaker for me....

The Ping has an awesome screen but the dial up dosing drove me crazy. We sent it back less than 3 days after getting it. I think most other people have had better experiences so hopefully they will chime in with some pros for the Ping soon.

I would look at the tandem tslim as suggested above. It is very sleek so I bet your daughter wouldn't mind pulling it out. It will probably be my next pump. I was a bit concerned about the durability but I recently met with a rep and she threw it onto the concrete and it was still in perfect condition.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter saw the Accu-check pump for the first time the other day, and she came home enthused about being able to bolus wizard and temp basal all from the remote. She has stuck with her Aviva meters despite which pump she wears because of their accuracy and wonderful customer service.

5. mamamccoy87

The linked meters havent been an issue as we have had those with the minimed - have used the one touch link and the bayer contour linked meter with good resuts. She dislikes the pulling out pump to bolus, and it would be nice for middle of the night corrections/basal changes. Minimed's carelink reports drive me nuts!! Too much info that is not well organized!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We just switched from the MM after having it 5+ years to the Tandem t:slim. Dr. Carrion thinks we're nuts, but I don't care. ;) The local rep actually sent a demo to me to play with for the weekend, along with an envelope to send it back. We're very happy with it, and the customer service has been great. :)

7. mamamccoy87

I like the looks of the tslim - it has some really cool features and the reports look much easier to read than carelink! Grace would like something that doesnt call attention - would like to bolus without pulling out the pump, plus it would be helpful at night!

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My daughter uses the ping. I love the fact that I can bolus from the remote. It makes it easy at night also. The scrolling for the bolus amount, carb amount- well any amount doesn't bother me as I feel its just extra safety.

I didn't even know about the accucheck pump when we decided on the ping but regardless, I dont regret it.

I think when she's older we will look at the tslim though, if I was t1d, it's the one I would want honestly. I don't think it's good for young kids to operate though as it doesn't do reverse corrections like the other pumps so the user would probably have to know how to figure that out themselves

9. heypb

heypb Approved members

We love the Ping. We chose it specifically for the remote feature and hardly ever bolus directly through the pump itself. It has been the only pump we have used and our only frame of reference, so features (or lack thereof) that may frustrate others really haven't bothered us.

We have been through several remotes; a single drop on hard surface can break it. However, Animas has been terrific about overnighting another remote so far. Pairing it with the pump is easy too.

If there is one thing that does frustrate me, it's the speed in which the remote communicates with the pump. In this day and age where technology feels almost instantaneous, there is a noticeable lag in time when working with the remote, especially between setting a bolus and actually delivering it.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I know someone at college that uses the Accu Chek Combo. She said she really likes it .

11. hawkeyegirl

Make sure to trial the Ping before you purchase one. For us, coming from the MM, it seemed to take an ETERNITY to bolus with the Ping, and I found the menus and the lack of a "back" button crazy-making.

The Accu-Check Combo intrigued me. If it had the bolus wizard on the pump too, I really would have considered it. But I think it would be annoying to have to use the remote every time you bolus. There are many times when I just yell to Jack to bolus 10 more carbs or whatever, and he would be peevish to have to go find the remote to do so.

12. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

My DD has used the Ping for over a year now. The remote feature makes D care easier for our family. She will often test, hand me the remote, and run off to play, while I take care of bolusing. I can't imagine pulling out her pump to bolus every time. The dial up and 200u cartridge are not a big deal for us. Good luck finding a pump that works for your family! :cwds:

13. mamamccoy87

We have been having alot of missed boluses, because of tween brain - did you bolus - yep and she's off, and hasn't bolused!! Hoping this will help :cwds:

14. hawkeyegirl

Have you thought about the Omnipod? The new smaller pods really look nice, and you can control everything from the remote.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The Accu chek meter is smart. the pump isn't . You can't input a BG into the pump unless it is through the meter... so you're back to very basic unit bolusing. the meter remote seems huge compared to other meters..

16. mamamccoy87

Not even an option - has a hard enough time wearing her site, and they are perpetually on her tiny hiney! I think i would have a hard time not being able to "see" the reservoir.

We go to Madison Thurs - will talk with her np then after we get back from vacation will call pump reps. Will want to try before we buy as well!

17. Don

Don Approved members

With the Accu-Chek, you can bolus using either the pump or the remote, i.e. you don't have to have the remote with you.

18. hawkeyegirl

Right, but the pump can only dose in units. There is no "bolus wizard" to calculate corrections, I:C ratios, etc.

19. teacherone

teacherone Approved members

We have been using the Accu Chek Combo for almost 4 years now and are very happy with it. I think it's the "default pump" over here in Germany.

We have never had any technical issues and Roches customer service is very good.

Not having a "bolus wizard" on the pump itself is not an issue for us, as we very rarely go out without the remote. And if we do it's kind of a no- brainer to bolus him without the wizard. We know how many units of insulin he is suppost to get per BE (12gr of carbs) at what time of the day. So we just calculate it ourselves, e.g. a 24gr carb lunch would be 0.8 units, as he gets 0.4 units per BE for lunchtime. At the end of the day, the meter only spits out what you fed it beforehand, so you should really know which amounts of insulin your child is suppost to get for a meal.

The handling to me is straight forward and easy, even though I have never tried out any other pumps. So I don't know how it compares.