- advertisement -

Change of insulin dosage

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by kgerrick, Jun 18, 2011.

1. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I am glad to hear the report of your visit. Looks like the adjustments you were making were getting you on the right track.

The group appointment with other type 1's sounds like a great avenue of additional support. It is encouraging when you are able to talk with others to see how they manage T1D on a daily basis.

2. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Thanks GaMom!

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

one thing I just wanted to add, the situation you were in is actually one of the best situations for learning how to adjust dosing, which is the ultimate goal of management. It isn't a case where you're trying to fine tune a dose. That's later, more advanced and where you'll really need a lot of help from the endo. But you know she's getting too much insulin, period. Lots too much. So these are good opportunities to think through what YOU think you should do, call the dr and say "look, I think we need to go 2u less and I think the lunch ration needs to be reduced a bit too". And if you don't get a quick answer, then just do what you think. Subtracting insulin is far less 'dangerous' than adding. There aren't questions of highs with rebounds etc. If you take away too much she'll just be higher than you like, but it's a good place to practice.

Anyway, fwiw, I remember my son's basal dosing dropped by half within the first few weeks home and then drastically more a few months later. It was just drop 1unit pretty much every day, 2 some days if the lows were big. If you can believe, nearly 6 years later, he's taking less basal than he did during that first week of DX. :)

4. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Hi Michelle,

Thanks, We had our endo appt. on Thurs. I reduced it to 9, with support from you guys here online, then at the appt. CDE reduced it to 8. Yesterday and Friday she had some lows again so I reduced the Lantus to 7. CDE also reduced the humalog to 1:20. Today her numbers have been steady so far.

Even though it was nerve racking since we're so new to this, I do feel like it was a great learning opportunity. I am so grateful for this site! Major support!!