- advertisement -

Chance to Vote for Adult Stem Cell Research grant (for diabetes)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by timnshann, Jan 5, 2011.

1. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

I just got this in my email and thought it was pretty interesting. I've looked into storing stem cells from baby teeth in the past but it is very expensive. However, Pepsi is giving grants to fund research. This company would like to build an adult stem cell library for diabetes research.Just a thought if you would like to vote EVERYDAY for Pepsi to give a grant for this research you can go to:

http://www.refresheverything.com/st...Edition_to_Consumers1_5_2011&utm_medium=email

I copied and pasted the following from their information on the voting page:

Overview

Approximately 40 children per day are diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes in the U.S. To stay alive, these children must take multiple insulin injections daily or continually infuse insulin through a pump for the rest of their lives.

Current research is showing that adult (non controversial) stem cells from dental tissue in teeth can differentiate into cells that secrete insulin. In addition, stem cells from bone marrow are being used in a human clinical trial, supported by the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, with the goal to halt or reverse the autoimmune attack that causes Type 1 Diabetes.

As with many diseases, a limitation to research is access to high quality research material such as donated stem cells.

Provia Labs is an expert in building high quality repositories of human tissue/cells.

Our deliverable is to advance adult stem cell research for diabetes by supplying 100 stem cell samples to diabetes researchers.
    How will the 50K be Used?
    Budget Notes: If we cannot find suitable researches for the samples within 12 months, Provia will continue to store the specimens for up to 3 years as it searches for researchers and Provia will cover the cost of storage.

$ 3,500 Production and Distribution of 70 transport devices
    $ 3,000 Shipping and Receipt of 50 shipments
    $ 26,600 Processing and Aliquotting of 25 specimens into 100 aliquots
    $ 12,000 Storage of samples for up to 1 year in cryopreservation tanks
    $ 4,900 Proj Mgmt (Developing Consent, Training Sites, Distributing samples)

Other diabetes related ideas in the running which can also be voted for:
    http://www.refresheverything.com/search/?q=diabetes

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011