- advertisement -

CGMS Trials

Discussion in 'Friends for Life 2009' started by Danielle2008, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Anyone doing it at the conference?

I am sure it probably isn't the greatest time to try one, but I am curious to see what it at least feels like.

I just got off the phone with Erin Roper (she called my house, no idea how they got my number LOL! I emailed for information in May when it was first posted) from Medtronic, and we scheduled a time for it. Tuesday at 3:30.

I do need to call and have my Endo fill a prescription, but that won't be a problem. He is pretty good about stuff like that.

Anyone else trying a CGMS? I see that Dexcom is full.

2. RBJervey

RBJervey Approved members

I got into the DexCom trials. They only had a few spots and wanted to get them onto people on Tuesday or Wednesday so we could get the fullest experience. I'm starting on mine at 2:00pm on Tuesday! I'm also sure that a conference with extra activity, long lectures, Disney heat, and Disney food is NOT the ideal situation to be trying these out but I'm super excited to try it anyway. :)

3. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

Danielle ~ I have numbing cream if you need some. Isabella absolutely has to have the numb cream for sensor insertion!

4. MelissaMo19

MelissaMo19 Approved members

I'm also scheduled for 3:30 on Tuesday to start the minimed cgms. How weird I geuss I will be seeing you there. Are you going to the waterpark on Tuesday before that? I'm so excited to try out this sensor

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I think you will get a good feel for it. Just you get two good BG's to type in for the 2 hour startup. Being too low or too high then will cause it to start off wonky.

6. Danielle2008

Great! Sounds the same for MM. They are setting it up Tuesday, and then I will return it Friday. So that should be the full three days! Dexcom definitely filled fast!

I am definitely excited, too. It is a neat opportunity to give it a go.

Carie, You're wonderful! I may take you up on it. How far in advance do you need to put it on to numb the area? I think that is the only thing I am not looking forward to, the insertion!!

How funny! I guess I will meet you there! Erin told me between 3:30 and 4:00. However, as I am sure they told you, they said they will just insert the sensor, and then we have to leave for two hours for the 'warm-up'. At 5:30 or so(for our time-slot), they want us to come back to have the transmitter put on(correct term? I think it is the transmitter, the white thing). So I feel the earlier the better to get there.

Does that sound right?? I wonder if she meant to actually 'turn-on' the CGMS the first time, not put the transmitter on? Either way, I do know to go back at 5:30, I guess I will find out then what they meant!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  7. RBJervey

We actually just got an email from DexCom and they're reorganizing their trials. Looks like I'll start early Tuesday afternoon but I'll have to return it Friday night or Saturday morning. :( I was really hoping to see what the park would do to it. Ah well, a seven day sensor for 3 days seems a little silly but it'll have to do.

8. MelissaMo19

Hmm..I was told to come back the next day, I'm not sure lol. Are you going to the waterpark that day? I think we have a first-times reception at 4:00 too..busy busy

9. Danielle2008

Opps, forgot to answer that LOL

I am not sure about the waterpark...I am not much of a water person(I don't even own a swimsuit:eek:). I may though, cause it is Florida...and I imagine hot, hot hot!!

I guess we will find out when we go in. Going back that evening makes more sense, as it is only a two hour warm-up.

Did you talk to David? or someone else?

RB, that would be frustrating. No way you can go to the park prior? We are leaving Saturday, so we are getting one of those 'after hour' passes for the week, and will stop in during the evening (my sister said each night a new park is open, while the rest are closed).

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Danielle, with respect to the insertion, it is really not as bad as it looks. I'm not sure what pump sites you use, but I've put both a Silhouette and a sensor into my stomach, and I found both to be virtually painless. (I have plenty of "padding", though. ;))

But if you're worried about it, take the PP up on her offer of EMLA. We leave it on Jack for an hour, and he doesn't feel his sensor insertions at all.

11. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

Danielle, the cream should be on for about 30 to 45 minutes to make sure it's numb. We do 40 minutes for Isabella. As for the insertion, we are on the same pump as you ~ MM522. Bella's is purple :) Anyhow, I do the sensor insertion and it looks pretty brutal if you were to do it without the cream. So it's not a problem to use some of ours. I would hate for you to not like the CGM just because of the insertion! Just text me on that Monday and we can meet up. I know we are going to one of the parks on Tuesday so I want to be sure I get over to you before your time slot.

12. RBJervey

I'm not going to make it to the water park on Tuesday because when I was booking tickets I couldn't get myself there early enough to head out with you guys and I didn't know how I'd find you in the park without meeting you first! Also, there's a reception at 4:00 that I need to be at so, with flight times, I'd only have from about 12:30 - 3:00 at the park, I decided to explore the hotel instead since this will be my first time at an actual Disney Resort! I'm super excited to check out the pool and what not.

When I replied to the DexCom email I did mention that it'd be nice to be able to return it on Sunday morning, we'll see if they reply to that or just give me another time spot that I picked (I decided that Friday night was better than Saturday morning because I didn't want to worry about the sensor removal taking time from Disney or sleep!)

Are sensor's really that painful? I'm on an Omnipod pump so all the insertion is automatic. You're messages on numbing cream and what not are making me a little skiddish about trying the whole sensor thing. Dexcom says it's "nearly painless" but that could just be advertising. I hope it doesn't hurt too much!

13. MelissaMo19

I think i will go back that night with you too, i dont wanna wait till the next morning haha. All this talk about numbing cream makes me nervous :-/..I also don't like how the needle doesn't go in straight, I've never had that before, but the whole idea of it sounds good :)

14. RBJervey

So I decided that since I have the chance I'm going to trial both the Dexcom and the Minimed while I'm there. I'm hoping I got into the noon timeslot for the Dexcom and I'm meeting Minimed at 2:00. They'll both come out at some time on Friday. Maybe it's a little insane but I really want to buy a sensor and if I've got the chance to try them both and compare them I decided I wanted to take it! Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions on sensor sites for either CGMS. I'll end up having both of them and my Omnipod on me for most of the week!

15. MelissaMo19

Sounds like a good idea! i'll be interested to find out which is more accurate, and which you like better! Have you thought about where your going to do the insertion point? I usually only do pump sites on my arms so I'm not sure. I used to do sites on my legs but I had so much scar tissue that the insulin wouldn't go in. I've never done my stomach, so I'm not sure I'll like that :-/

16. RBJervey

I'll try to remember to actually document some of the readings (probably just the ones before meals, in the morning, and at bedtime and maybe some post-meal). I move my infusion sites all around with my favorite spots being my back, lower stomach, and thighs. My arms start to ache after about 2 days of insulin infusion. :( I'm still looking for suggestions on where to place the sensors. Most seem to feel that Medtronic's should go in the arm but Dex can go anywhere. I may try them on opposite arms, we'll see!

17. MelissaMo19

Sounds good, I will probally do sensor in arm and try pump site in lower back...I'm nervous about this sensor haha but atleast other people will be trying it for the first time too

18. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I hope those of you who are doing a test drive with the sensors, will post your experiences. Thanks.

19. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I echo Ellen - I would love to read what you think, the comparison between the Dex and the MM, etc.. Please do post for us all to see!

20. RBJervey

I regret to inform everyone that DexCom has canceled their CGM trials at the conference so I will not be able to post my comparison results. I will be trying the DexCom in August through my Endo and I'm hoping to set up a Freestyle Navigator trial this summer as well so if people would like I am happy to come and share my thoughts about them afterward but I will not have any direct meter to meter comparisons as they will all be worn at different times. I am upset by DexCom's decision but understand that FDA regulations were a problem for the conference and must be adhered to. I will still be trialing the Guardian and hope that any others dropped from DexCom's trials will consider contacting Medtronic as well.