- advertisement -

CGMS sites on a teenage boy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Zach did his first CGMS site on his belly on the left side of his belly button and did the second one on the other side of his belly. Both left a pretty good mark. This kid is very skinny and currently running cross country. Where do we put the next one?

2. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Guess I missed that he actually got the CGM--yeah for Zach & Tricare!!!

DS mostly wears the sensor on the back of the arms...get great readings and rarely gets in the way of any activities. Only drawback is that the insert has to be done by someone else, so if Zach is hellbent on independence, arms won't work. Second choice for us is the butt/upper hip area. DS is not overly skinny, but for years did want to only wear it smack in the center of his butt cheeks--most meaty spot on his body. Now really doesn't care where it is, never complains it hurts to insert, but does itch the spot like crazy when the sensor comes out.

The sensors do leave pretty noticeable marks, I can see hundreds of poke-sized scars on son's butt where the sensors have been over the years, but really no lasting signs of infusion sets of long ago, just the more recent ones. Not that the marks are hard scar tissue needing to be avoided, just scars as in can see where many have been.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we don't put the cmgs in the belly, it bothers her to much.. we do the sides of the arm, get great results there. She's a lean kid, not much fat at all, but it works well there, infact its the only place we do cgms sites now, we do 7 days on each arm, so each arm then has 7 days to heal.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, if he likes the belly and it works for him, there's plenty of real estate there to just keep alternating sides. If he wants to use another area, probably the most popular spots are sides/back of arm, and upper butt/love handle area. We've put Jack's sensors on his upper bottom for the past 3 years, and are just very careful to rotate sites well.

5. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

My daughter is 5. She's quite muscular and trim. The tummy just didn't work with her but we are finding that her upper arm and the top of her bottom works really well.
    X

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Being female I expect I naturally have more fat than your son. I use abdomen (although I don't much like it there), upper arms (outside and back), thighs (pretty much all over), upper bottom, and there's a small area on the back of my hips (love handle area) that I can use.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son refuses to have anything to do with arm sites, he's into bulking up these days and he likes to show off his abs and arms, a site would mar his perfection. :p

He chooses thighs mostly for CGM. He isn't skinny but not much fat, pretty muscular, he runs a lot and lifts weights and upper thigh works best for him.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You can try arms, you could try the butt, you could try a little further to the side (or even the back) on the abdomen. I won't recommend legs :rolleyes: