- advertisement -

CGMS - help needed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ivan's Mum, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

We are just starting on a 1 week trial and besides the fact that Ivan hates it, I hate it too. Okay we're only up to the first calabration but it never alarmed, lost him, his butt is bleeding, and he's starting to react to the tape covering it. It's way bigger than I thought and... I guess I'm just not sold on it. Yes, yes, I'm 2 hours in to it so it's a little premiture but....

How long did it take you to love it, and then for your kid to love it?

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

It really helps to have a medical team with lots of CGM experience. I had trouble the first go round with minimal Dr. help, great luck the second time with a good experienced medical group. Good luck. Ali

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

our first sensor was a disaster, pretty much everything that could go wrong did. We love it though... love being able to see where he is going, especially at night. We were feeding him then having to correct, with cgms, we let it ride

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I am sorry the site is bleeding! :eek: Remember to give it time and I hope tomorrow goes much better for you.

BTW , It is different for everyone, but for us it really really is worth the hassle. We use dexcom they are great. I don't know which one you are using but I think they are all worth trying if you get the chance, and after 6 weeks we had a pretty good feel for it.

I wouldn't want a bad first week to get you down, but the first two hours may be rough for some people so here is a (( hug )) for your little trooper!

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm sorry you're struggling Fran. But it's just like being dxd, or starting the pump- it's new. It takes some time to get used to.
    Abby bleeds occasionally, but it's usually pretty little. I apply pressure to the site if that happens.
    What do you have your alarm set to under utilities? Low Beep, High Beep, or vibrate? I find it really strange that it didn't alarm- I'm assuming you mean for the calibration?!
    Did you apply a barrier wipe to his skin before covering it? Which tape did you use to cover it?
    If you need to get the tape off without disturbing the sensor go buy a little cuticle scissors in the make up department. It works great for this- but a regular scissors will not!
    [​IMG]
    Cut around the sensor and while holding the site down (so it doesn't come out) and remove the tape going out to the corners. I usually hold the sensor down while Abby gives each of the 4 corners a good yank. Then slowly I get the rest off. If tape is left on the sensor and not the skin it's not hurting anything. When you remove it to charge it (down the road) a simple alcohol wipe will get that tape and gunk off. Apply a big knee sized bandied over the sensor fairly tight and that should help instead of using the tape. We use the back of the arms, so I don't know how well a bandied will hold up on the child's behind.
    I hope it gets better for you!:cwds:

I took me seeing the numbers on the pump and several questions to someone that has used the device before I started loving it.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If it's the minimed you're using, you can pretty much eliminate the bleeding by inserting it at an angle just a tiny bit more straight in than the "45 degree" angle of the senserter. Just place it at the 45, tilt it up a little bit, and insert it.

It does take some getting used to... no one here probably had a good experience with the first sensor, but once you get past the first day or two, most people (including the kids) would never give it up. Hopefully you will find that to be true within a few days!

Also please read the CGMS calibration guidelines in my signature. This is essential for good results.

7. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We had a great experience right off the bat! :). (Not to rub it in)

Westin could care less if he had it but I love it.

We used the buttocks for a few months and then moved to the arm and prefer it there.

Are you using emla? We have also used ice to keep it from bleeding but haven't used ice in over a year now.

Give it a chance. I hope it works well for you. We (cwd) can give lots of help. (I know I was able to teach my trainer a few things that I had read on here.)

8. Ivan's Mum

Hi all, thanks for your advice. THis is only a loaner for a week, we're trying to get fundraising for purchasing one. We're warming to it, the BG readings seem good, it doesn't hurt any more, he is still running higher and was all night. I am wondering if it's something to do with his skin reacting like it did to sites (before we went stainless).

Today will be a normal day - school etc so i should have a better picture of his readings when he's not been sitting around all day (like yesterday) so hope to see him closer to range.

Even if we get one we won't be able to afford running it the whole time but I can see where the benefits will come in.

Am a little concerned about the dried blood under the plaster but at least it being in his butt means he can't see it.

You'll have a laugh because I had to phone the help desk, which put me thru to the States and the poor guy on the phone couldn't really understand me. We talk real fast over here and I guess my accent is pretty strong.:D

9. Ivan's Mum

Still having a really bad time of it. He's running high 90% of the time. Went to a birthday party where he went super low and it said he was 5.7 when he was 2.4 and although it had the arrows (two) going down it was so way off the mark. I just can't trust the thing because even though we enter the BG 4x a day, it's still wrong. Yet over night, even though high, it's correct.

I'm supposed to phone the hospital today and report findings so we can talk about making any sdjustments, but I would not change anythign based on this. I don't trust that it's not the machine making him high.

Given the problems we had with pump sites, I'm desperate to pull it out and see if there is any pus but due to the cost of the transmitter, I want to soldier on and see if we can right him. Maybe the last 2 days of it all may just be some glitch...?

Poor kids is getting more finger pricks than ever!

10. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

Francesca---I wanted to address your one concern regarding the low that the CGMS missed. The two arrows down are indicating that the BG is droping very fast-much faster than the CGMS can keep up with. This happens to all of us; the BG will be lower when tested than the CGMS. Remember that the CGMS is about 15 minutes behind and your son was dropping quickly. Many parents will set the alarm at a higher point for this very reason. This is up to your preference. I think what you will find you like about the CGMS is that it shows you when your son's BG starts raising or dropping--once you see a pattern, you can begin to tweak basals or I:C ratios to fix with much more precision than you ever could have before. My son was very high also when we first started and the CGMS was helpful for me to use to start to address those highs in an effcient manner. I think it almost takes 6 mos or more to really get how this thing works. We are still learning, too.