- advertisement -

CGMS for 5 year old?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KellersMom517, Oct 9, 2013.

1. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

So here's my question...we are still in the honeymoon so I am really not sure what to expect of BG numbers when we get out of it. My son is 5 and right now his numbers are very stable - he's only on 1 unit of Lantus, and 3-4 units of Humalog/day. Every time I check him in the night (which I will tend to do for about a week straight maybe once a month), the numbers are exactly where I expect them to be. Anyone remember the honeymoon? lol - its nice that it happens when you first get diagnosed to EASE you into it.

Anyway - I am trying to figure out which pump we will get when he goes on one in a few months. I LOVE LOVE the idea of a remote (Ping or Omnipod) since he's 5 and I (or another adult) will be the one bolusing for him. But I feel like a bad mom if I choose that over the integrated CGM of the MM. A lot of talk I hear about crazy overnight levels seem to deal with tweens/teens and their crazy hormones or excessive exercise for sports, etc etc. But do little kids deal with this as well? Am I going to regret not getting the Minimed for the CGM? I don't know if he could handle 2 inserts AND 2 handhelds to keep track of right now, though I know Dexcom is an option for the future.

WWYD? Best pump for a 5 year old boy that loves to run around, swim, and hates to stop for his injections?? Thanks!

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I am sure you will get a wide range of views on the subject, and I also think there are no right or wrong answers, but here is my take.

K is 5, too, and he is not exactly the picture of patience. We opted to go with MM for the integrated CGM. We are happy with our choice (though I will/would be happier if we can switch to the Enlite sensors!). We actually do have the handheld CGM monitor, too, which allows me to use it when I want it, but if I am not around, I know that the numbers will always be sent to the pump for viewing and our analysis. I like the MM pump--its logic and its screens--, and I like the MM CGM, too--I find it reads very accurately for DS, although I know that others have not had the same experiences.

I do wish we had a remote for times like when we are in the car and we are passing food back. Most of the rest of the time, I don't really care. I don't think I'd be confident bolusing him on a remote while he was running around too much for fear that the signal would be interrupted.

I also have a bit of Dexcom envy right now, so we may well give it a try. On the other hand, I don't really see K doing well with another device to carry around, so we'll have to see how it goes, I guess.

Honestly, I think the best bet is to try out all of the pumps. Hold them, play with them, and see what you think. Then factor the CGM in once you have a good feel for the pump.

Good luck with the decision making!

Oh, and little kids can have wild numbers too. They can be very carb and insulin sensitive, so small quantities of either can send them way high or low. They also seem to go up or down quicker than older kids. No matter how carefully we set levels and count carbs, K does a lot of unpredictable rollercoastering, both day and night. I really do find both pump and CGM invaluable.

3. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We are in much the same position as you but have taken the steps into pumping and CGMing. Here is my advice (coming from the Mom of a very active 4 year old who doesn't like to sit still for anything)

The remote bolus on the Ping is a lifesaver - it is so much easier than having to make him sit still and pull out his pump anytime he wants to eat or I want to check something (extra bonus during the night when he is sleeping)

As far as the CGM goes I don't know much about the minimed but the Dexcom is amazing. My son is honeymooning too, and with him even though he still doesn't use a ton of insulin his pancreas decides to work whenever it feels like it and with the Dex I can catch it and fix it before he has a problem.

I like the fact that I can have the receiver for the Dex on my bedstand at night and still know how he is doing while he sleeps. It has excellent range.

I think any kind of a CGM for a kid who has diabetes is definitely the way to go, honeymooning or not. I for one, would not want to fight this disease without one.

4. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DD started using the Ping and Dexcom when she was 6 years old, about 7 months after diagnosis, and I think that was the definitely the best option for her at that age.

Carrying 2 devices has never been an issue. She just wears a spibelt and slides the Dexcom onto the belt (using Tallygear Dexcom case with belt loop) or wears a double pump pouch.

Honestly, having the separate CGM receiver was (and still is) best for us. Otherwise, I'd frequently be asking her to pull out the pump to see what the receiver says. With the range on the Dexcom G4 (20+ feet), I can keep the receiver on the kitchen counter when she is home and it picks her up wherever she is in the house. Also, having the integrated CGM makes it hard to hear alarms at night, as the Minimed alarm volume is low from what I've heard. With the Dexcom, I keep the receiver on my nightstand and it picks her up all night and I can easily hear the alarms.

I've never used the Minimed system, but from reading on here, it seems that the sensor insertion is significantly more painful than the Dexcom and it lasts only about 7 days. We consistently get 14+ days from the G4 sensor.

I would definitely advise calling all of the pump reps and the Dexcom rep to come out and show you each of the devices you are interested in.

5. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

We really didn't have much choice when it came to a pump as our insurance said either MM or Animas - we choose the MM since we got the CGM before we got a pump.
    We got the CGM b/c he was in such a strong honeymoon (no insulin for 3 months) his Dr would't Rx for the pump at the same time.
    When we finally got the pump we did get the MySentry and it was great for at night when he would go low or high to alarm me to go check him.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We used the MM pump and CGM for 5.5 years, and recently switched to a t:slim pump and a Dexcom CGM. I like the t:slim pump slightly better than the MM pump and the Dexcom CGM way better than the MM CGM. With a young child, I'd prefer to have the separate receiver for the CGM, or you are going to drive them nuts looking at their pump screen all the time. I'd also say that around age 7, we started telling him how many carbs to bolus for, and he would do it, so for us the remote would have had a fairly short lifespan.

7. coeen

coeen Approved members

Hi there,
    We use the MM pump and MM CGM. We have had much luck with both. Inserting the sensor has not been a problem for us because I numb the side of his arm for about 45 minutes before I insert it. He is 5 and it doesn't bother him. Sure it would be nice to have a remote to bolus him since he is always running around but we deal with it. We also have the MySentry and I just move it from upstairs to downstairs so I can see his number most of the time then I don't have to ask him all the time. I actually tried to get the Dexcom cgm and got approved but then decided I didn't want another piece of equipment hanging on his waist. Maybe later but so far we are happy with what we have. Good luck.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have the Animas Ping and oh how I wish the remote was out when she got her first pump at age 4! It was not unusual to see me trailing after my daughter with pump in hand as she was running around and I was blousing:D
    Now, she carries the remote to school and she doesn't have to dig the pump out, she just does everything from the remote.
    It's great not having to have to dig under the covers to find where the pump is (only have to do that if I need to increase/decrease basal). We have the Dexcom. I like that it's stand alone right now as I can look at it when I want without bothering her, we keep it with us at night so that it doesn't interrupt her sleep. In time, we will transition it to being in her room, but for now we take care of nights. We have had great success with it and I'm finding it's pretty spot on accurate 90% of the time.

There is no wrong choice for a pump. All do the same job, just some have more bells and whistles than others. I think the best thing to do is to get your hands on the pumps and go online and see what they each offer. You'll be able to figure out what works best for you.

9. KellersMom517

KellersMom517 Approved members

Thank you all so much for your insight!! Now that I think a little more deeply about it, I am wondering if a 2nd system like the Dexcom would be better than a built-in. For the very reasons so many suggested about digging the pump/CGM out of their pocket all the time. I definitely like that I could have the CGM with me, and be able to see his trends without chasing him down:) I also read some cool articles about the Dexcom Share - which looks really neat, especially if they are sleeping at Grandma's or have a babysitter.

It might come down to choosing the Ping simply b/c our insurance might not cover the Omnipod as in-network. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I would choose!

Thanks again!! So helpful!!!

10. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son is 8 and just started on both the Ping and Dexcom a month ago. We truly love them both. I don't have anything to compare them to, but to me, the remote on the Ping and the Dexcom receiver (that I can hold myself!) are invaluable. It is two things for him to carry, but the only time he really has both on his body are at school and if he goes to a friend's house. When he walks in the door, he hands me the Dexcom and it sits on a table in our hallway and can read all over the house. I look at it all.the.time and I know I would drive him insane if I asked him to see it and he was the one holding it.

The remote on the ping is really great for younger kids - he can be sitting on the floor playing with Legos/playing video games with a friend/sleeping and I can dose him without bothering him. That has been worth the pump in and of itself - he did not like all of the intrusion that MDI meant, and a lot of that is gone now. Already I have bolused him in the back seat while I was in the front seat of the car and I was so giddy about it!

We thought a lot about the Omnipod because of the tubeless nature of the pump, but decided that we did not want an 8 year old responsible for remembering to take the PDM everywhere with him. It was my understanding that if he left it at school, we were screwed and it would keep delivering basal until we took the pod off.

Hope this helps and good luck! And for what it's worth, if I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the CGM. I think everyone should get one when they leave the hospital. The information is invaluable and the peace of mind has been a game changer for us.

11. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Hi! Our son turned 4 this summer; he's been pumping since he was 22 months, and we've used Dex since January. I worried about 2 insertions, but it really hasn't been a big deal - butt for pump and arms for cgm.

At 2 years old, we picked the Ping for 3 reasons - 1. The small increments, 2. the remote, and 3. The omnipod seemed too big on his little body.

If we picked again, we would probably pick the Pod now because of the smaller size (and his bigger size), and the lack of tubing (which to be fair, has never been an issue).

At his age, I like the separate devices for many reasons already mentioned - we keep Dex with us at night, and his teachers keep it at preschool.

Good luck!!! We love the freedom of both pumping and cgming.

12. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

One HUGE thing to consider with the Dex - the receiver has about a 50 foot range, which is AWESOME. It's FDA approved for 20 ft., but the reality is so much farther (and better) :D.

I can't recommend the Dexcom G4 highly enough. It's an amazing piece of equipment that makes management a lot easier and Dexcom's customer service is amazing. They can be a little hard to get through to, sometimes, but they always take great care of us!

13. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

My daughter turned 5 yesterday and was dxd at 17 months. We did shots for the majority of that time, only using the pump for 5 months. It wasn't for us at this time..

I've heard most people don't really like the MM cgm, but rather, Dex G4.

My daughter's numbers aren't crazy at night, I don't think hormones really kick in yet, nothing like puberty. You could always try with one device first to get used to the insertion issues. Your son might not mind having 2 things, and you might not mind either.

I think i'd start with dex. If his numbers continue to be fine on mdi after the honeymoon, I'd stick with shots until it's a problem. This is just my opinion though. I actually think that with active kids, shots are better. That's my experience with my daughter.