- advertisement -

CGMS cost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J'sMa, Jan 5, 2008.

1. J'sMa

J'sMa Approved members

Hi,
    I know this will vary, but I'm looking for a ballpark estimate.

I have an opportunity to do a 3-day hook up to a CGMS thru our clinic (Dean). I'm not buying the unit, just taking it on a test drive :)

Anybody done this, and about what did it cost before insurance? Am trying to decide if should do it now and later, or if I'll be able to do it once I might wait a little.

THANKS!!!!

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Are you doing a CGMS that allows you see real time screen of blood sugars or are you doingthe blind system that gets downloaded at the end of the three days? Is it a Medtronic Minimed or a Dexcom? Those all play into cost.

3. J'sMa

J'sMa Approved members

answer

Hi,
    I won't see the results until they upload them later, and I assume it's Medtronic
    thanks

4. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We have never done that, so I don't have any idea what it would cost. I thought maybe you were testing a real time monitor for later purchase.

5. My_Dana

My_Dana Approved members

We are going to do the same soon.

We are going to do the same thing from our Endo.

I mentioned I wanted to try it to get better data and analyze various foods impact.

I don't know much about the unit yet. I think it is a "batching download at the end" arrangement. I will try to get the software/cables to do it myself.

As far as cost goes, there is a link in the CGMS forum that takes you to a survey. In the survey, they talk about costs. They're all over the map.
    Here a few in a comparison chart.
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/continuous.htm

6. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

That's the very old Minimed 'GOLD' system....

used by Endos to diagnose dawn effect and set basal rates for the last few years. There was a study back in Summer of 2005, on the accuracy of the old "Glucowatch" versus the old Minimed "Gold" versus the new Minimed. (Which was unnamed at that time, but it eventually became the R/T and Guardian-version-1. AFAIK, they're still using the same Sensors, with the same accuracy, today.)

At high bG levels, the Minimed Gold wasn't too bad-- a lot better than the GlucoWatch, although it was much worse than the "new Minimed" not-yet-even finalized Guardian-like system. But at 100mg/dL and below, the "Gold" rapidly became very bad-- below 70 mg/dL, IIRC, it was darn near useless. The study authors concluded that it the Gold, as well as the Glucowatch, were both too bad at detecting hypos to make even a "cautious" recommendation for using it to catch them.

So: It's old and inferior technology, never intended for continuous use by patients. Even for appropriate use as single-use "basal setting/diagnostic" loaner, I've got no respect for a clinic or practice which still uses the Gold (because, for a relatively small amount of money, they should upgrade to the far better modern ones. Dexcom costs just a few hundred$ retail.) But I've got very high standards, lots of clinics ARE still using the old one, and haven't upgraded to "Guardian" or Dexcom.
    - - - - -

"all over the map" is right on-- costs are driven by the lifespan of Sensors, and we're all over the place: some very careful parents, doing exactly the right things, can't get more than about 5 days, while other users (such as I) NEVER see anything less than two weeks. So I'm barely $1200 per year for everything, less than $800 per year for Sensors, although $1800-2500 is a lot more typical. (I also have insurance paying at 50% :D). But my costs are going to almost double when I'm switched to the "new" and more expensive "7-day" Dexcom Sensors in a few months, probably at about $1500/year just for Sensors.

Once you've bought the equipment, though, Sensors are just about the ENTIRE cause of ongoing costs. You hardly ever have to pay to buy a whole new system, unless you lose it or put it through the laundry. And my first "6-month" Dexcom Transmitter lasted 19 months and cost only $250 to replace. (Lots different from pumping, where you have big costs for both the insulin and the infusion sets, plus non-negligible costs for other disposables like cartridges.) Dexcom's "capital equipment" list price is $800 but it's always being sold at less than $500 (current going rate is $450, you really don't have to pay more). MM equipment is a lot more expensive up front, unfortunately.

Try to get a multi-week trial of BOTH good ones, and see how it looks for you. Dexcom makes this easy, offering a money-back "if you don't like it" trial for 30 days as standard business practice. But Minimed makes it very hard-- they can get people to put their money down MONTHS ahead of even receiving the device, and if it doesn't work out, they won't do a refund. You need help from a hardworking Endo or CDE with good connections to do a "Trial" on the modern Minimed stuff. :(

If you can get a Trial, it's best to wear them both at the exact same time. John Walsh (author of "pumping insulin" and other widely read books) did this just over a year ago, and found Dexcom better.... for him. Others find Minimed better, for them. Some people find that either works well, and lots of unlucky people find that neither one cuts the mustard for them-- and since that's common, try NOT to put your money down without the "return if you don't like it" trial arrangement in place first!