- advertisement -

CGMS and Swimming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Mar 31, 2009.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I bet they're not jealous when she gets a shot or tests her bs. :rolleyes:

2. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We don't do anything different. SD went swimming A LOT last summer too. She removes her pump, and it will start saying weak signal and lose the sensor. But when she returns after an hour she just finds the lost sensor and it is up and running again. We never noticed any change of how it reads, it was always accurate for us. The transmitter always stayed on and never came off. If the tape started to peel, I would add more tape. But since using Tegaderm we have had no problems with that at all, it works VERY well.

If my SD is away for 2 hours swimming (which happened last year once a week while she was at summer SAC), she shut the sensor off inside her pump so it wouldn't alarm. Then we new start it when starting and it is up and running within minutes since we never remove the sensor from her arm. There is no 2 hour waiting period even when new starting since we never removed the sensor/transmitter from her arm. It is very accurate this way even after being shut off too as well for us.

We do have highs if my SD doesn't have insulin IN her while swimming. So if we have a meal beforehand I will knock 1-2 units off (depends on the length of time she swims) and then she has the insulin in her from her meal. Otherwise I will give her a snack right beforehand and cover half of it with insulin. In doing this she never goes high. Otherwise if we didn't do this, she would go high without the basal. We check every 30-45 minutes when swimming and she will have juice to keep her up too as swimming does bring her down. We also have lows throughout the night after swimming as well.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

We have been using the Aquapack referenced in a pp for the past year now ... love it.
    http://www.ekaccess.com/pages/aquapac_wp.htm

We can still get "weak signal" messages while it is on but they typically clear themselves after one message.

The Aquapack folks warn about the reduced basal delivery because of the tubing possibly getting pinched but we have never noticed it. Then again, the impact of the exercise may be masking it ... but we just don't see the highs after swimming that you think you would if the basal were getting pinched out.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We don't have this problem.. if we get lost sensor, we go into sensor start and hit find lost sensor 99% of the time it just starts reading.. if we happen to miss a calibration, it'll ask for a cal before reading.. but we never had the 2 hour start up.. 2 hour start up only happens if there is a communication loss between the sensor and transmitter.. when they green lights flash, its two hours from that point.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Good to know... we haven't had the lost sensor problem in a long time, but I thought it was a 2 hour warmup even with the find lost sensor option.

6. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We swim allot during the summer and Loren takes very long baths. We have started using Paper tape by 3m which is awesome. It never lifts at all when it is wet or been in the water for a very long time. We just have her come get a small snack every 35mins and let it catch back up. Even if it does lost sensor we just find lost sensor and don't have to wait the 2hr or ask for a new blood sugar. We have also not noticed the readings going crazy or weird. maybe it is because you are turning it off?