- advertisement -

CGM

Discussion in 'Teens' started by NHL-go-pens, Apr 13, 2011.

1. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

Does anybody have the CGM for the medtronic pump? If so how well do you like it? Pros? Cons? Did your insurance keep denying it? Thanks alot! I'm curious because we are trying to get one.

2. beck95

beck95 Approved members

hey. i dont actually have a cgms but my doctor allowed me to borrow the hospitals one but i found it really bad because the monitor made me really itchy and the sticky pad. but it might just be my skin. good luck any way.:)

3. NHL-go-pens

Thanks. My doctor was going to do that but we would have to have it for 3 days and go back. We live 3 hours away from my doctors so it would be a hassle.

4. josmom

josmom Approved members

The sensor did the same thing to me! I ended up just putting tape on under it and it worked pretty well. Other than that, the sensor is pretty good. My only problem is that if I can actually get the sensor to go in, which rarely happens, I hit muscle. Good luck if you can get it!

5. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We love it and my daughter wears it 24/7. We never had any problems with insurance. All I can say, is that once you use it ... it is very hard to go without! It is such a help in establishing basal rates and alerting lows and highs. It allows my daughter to think about other things and let "Ruby" (what we call the pump./cgm) do the work. It is not foolproof, no system is ... but we are pretty darn happy with it.

6. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

My dd loves the CGM with the revel also. There is definitely a learning curve to it, so you need to stick thru a couple frustrating weeks (with any CGM, not just this one). Our insurance hasn't been a problem.

7. annaminlo

annaminlo Approved members

The CGM for me is a LIFE SAVER! It helps me be able to do lots of things because I am not having ot stop every hour or so and prick my finger. THe only bad part is that it is a pretty big needle (!) and It really shows from under your clothes as a big bump.
    My grandparents bought me my CGM with their money because our insurance denied it too. I would Highly recommend getting one!

Anna

8. JNL

JNL Approved members

My Son has had his CGM almost from the start and loves it. The only negative is when its time to change it out. It requires quite a bit of time to get it all set up for the 3 days. If you are having trouble staying in range this will defiantly help. The online charts are great, you really gain alot of insight. Good luck with getting one.

9. Leah

Leah Approved members

I don't have the pump, but i have the minimed cgm. I really love it, but here are some pros and cons so you can make your own desicions:

Pros:
    -you have to do less blood checks: 3 every day at the most
    -even though you havr to restart it every 3 days, you only have to change the site every week
    -Site is small, and the "controller" (same as the medtronic pump) can clip onto the top of your pants
    -very reliable
    -can predict your average A1C based on your bg
    -waterproof: everything is waterproof
    -from the CGM (controller), you can see your BGs from the last 24 hours
    -can trandfer all of the data to the computer so you can keep and look over it

Cons:
    -does not read below 40
    -becomes unreliable over 400

There might be some more pros and cons, but for me, the cgm has really worked great. It helped has me get my A1C down to 5.3-average blood sugar for someone without diabetes.

A few suggestions:
    when inserting the sensor, put on numbing cream for an hour because the needle is a little long. If you use numbing cream, it almost never hurts, though.

Insurance:
    At first insurance did not cover it for us, but i went down and made a presentation to some people working there, and they agreed to cover it for us!

:D:D:D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  10. NHL-go-pens

My insurance denied it and we did an appeal anD they denied it again. Are there any good web sites that give good evidence this could help my lows. I can't feel them

11. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Could anyone advocate for you, like perhaps your endo? Has he or she written a letter for you to the ins co?

12. NHL-go-pens

She did. So did the NP. people in my area are mostly type 2. Im the insurance company first person to go this far with it. We are going in for a meeting and I am doing a presentation . I need more information to prove it to them. My parents are also presenting.

13. NHL-go-pens

What I mean is, are there any websites (that you are aware of) that given hard cold evidence that the CGM will help me