advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CGM users: How often do you have "no alarm" nights?

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by mom2ejca, Jan 30, 2010.

?

CGM users: How often do you have "no alarm" nights?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2010.
  1. Never

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. 1-2 times per week

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. 3-4 times per week

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. 5-6 times per week

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Every night

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

For us, the school time alarms are set pretty firmly. (I think I have adjusted them 2-4x since Nov.)

But the high and low alarms are set differently each night, depending on a variety of factors:

1) current bg at evening calibration (typically do + 20 off that number, if it is a good number)
    2) food issues that still may play out (fat)
    3) exercise or illness that may impact overnight numbers
    4) whether I am testing new basal rates
    5) how badly I need an uninterrupted night of sleep

The CGM is an amazing tool but I think of it as one that is serving our whole family. I have no qualms about sometimes just dinging the high alarm higher so I can sleep through the night ... or other nights I'll pull him in bed with us so that I can tweak things throughout the night without having to get out of a cozy bed. It is a balancing act that comes through confidence that I am doing the best I can, most of the time.

Maybe we need yet another acronym ... YAMV (your alarms may vary). :)

2. Momofsix

Momofsix New Member

Question about CGM

My son is 6 years old he has had D almost one year now. I would like to know how old you have to be to get CGM and why some kids get them and some don't we have asked for one and said they don't help and he is too young.

This is very hard for me to deal with I wish I could get stong and I just can't take all the worry..
    Please help me understand

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

There's no specific age... there are very young children-babies even, here at CWD with CGM's. My daughter started on a CGM at age 7, about 6 months after she was diagnosed.

Our endo at the time was very much on board with the CGM. I would guess that if you asked 3 different endo's you would get 3 different opinions about CGMs:rolleyes: If you think a CGM would be beneficial to you and your son, then I wouldn't let the dr's opinion dissuade you, even if it means changing endo's.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Some endos are just behind the times, frankly. Our endo isn't totally pro-CGM, but he willingly wrote the prescription when we wanted one.

Jack started on the CGM at age 4, and it is the major reason we do as well as we do. I would not want to go a single day without it.

In your shoes, I would demand a prescription for a CGM, and if the endo wouldn't give it to me, I'd find an endo who would. I would even travel a few hours to see an endo if that's what it took.

Best of luck to you! You are your son's best advocate, and unfortunately, you might have to fight a bit for him!

5. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Oddly, a few yrs ago I asked the endo nurse about cgm, not knowing anything at all about it. And she said it was possible but they don't have enough units and there was a waiting list. (?) Didn't really understand what that meant and this nurse takes 20 minutes to tell you the time, so I said to put us on the list and let it at that. Some months later she asked if we wanted to do it. I said sure and, not understanding what was involved sent dd in with my mom. I thought she'd come home hooked up and I'd get instructions as to what to do--what was I thinking? The nurse scolded me. I must say that even a broken clock is right twice a day, because I still can't believe I just sent dd in with my mother instead of taking her myself. But it all happened so fast and they had one appt and said they'd have to go to the next person on the list if we didn't take it and I couldn't take off work.

Anyway, of course, it was not at all what I thought it would be. Further I didn't mean I wanted to TRY it, I meant I wanted to HAVE it. But they led me to believe that this wasn't avaialbe and that I could only try it through them. I hadn't done ANY research and had no idea about anything. But she led me to believe that owning a cgm system for your kid was not possible and didn't explain anything to me. And I didn't ask since I didn't know what to ask. When I asked about cgm, she didn't really explain anything but only that there was a waiting list and ins didn't usually cover it. She didn't say what it was like, or that there are different systems and that you could buy them or ins might cover it. Obviously I should have done my own research and went in informed and told her what I wanted rather than going to her for general info on cgm. But I was new and harried with a small child in tow.

My point is read these boards if you want to know about anything and THEN go to your endo and tell them what you want. :D

6. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

"And if there is some magical formula to come with, why hasn't your endo come up with it? Hmmm? Isn't that what medical school was for?"

Love this...so true. I'm pretty sure our current endo doesn't have the forumula because he is still PRACTICING medicine. Someday he might just be done practicing and be ready for prime time. Maybe.

7. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

wow, maybe only once every couple of weeks. But her range is set pretty tight, so it's easy to be off.

and of course there was the night when she left the receiver under the covers. we didn't hear any alarms, but she was 330 when she woke up:eek:

8. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Your response gives me hope for sound sleep- Wow, I can't wait!! Zakk was diagnosied in Oct- now I am lucky to get a two hour power nap in. We go live on the pump Tuesday and the CGMS shortly afterwards.. once we get a good grip on the pup of course! Thanks for hope!

9. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Basic Questions

A very basic question - how do all of you HEAR the alarms???? My son is only one room over but we cannot hear the alarms - EVER. He's pumping with Minimed Paradigm. We just get up numerous times a night and check. Every night. Unless there's a straight line @ 110 after 1AM.

10. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Some people have a radio shack microphone set-up that they put in the pump pouch. Baby monitors seem to be a popular option.

I'm a very light sleeper and my dd's room is next to ours. Most nights I don't have a problem hearing the alarms, unless she's laying on the pump. On the occasions when I don't hear the pump, the vibrate alarm will cause her to roll over (but rarely wakes up) and as soon she rolls over I usually hear the alarm.

11. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Hearing the alarm

Thanks for the answer - but for adolescents - or almost adolescents (my son just turned 12) - don't you worry about invasion of their privacy?

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Corrine, have you thought about asking insurance to pay for a Guardian unit? We got one, and we can now hear the alarms at night, since it sits on his nightstand. It makes a BIG difference when it's not buried in a pajama pocket, under a bunch of covers. Just a thought.

13. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I think there is a blurry line of privacy invasion and night checking, kwim? It's not one of those easy to answer questions. The answer will be individual and based on many factors.

factor: illness = more checking; less privacy that night