- advertisement -

CGM users, how many errors do you allow before yanking?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Aug 20, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

First day of sensor use is typically less reliable, that's not a problem. But in this case it is wildly off base, checked him at 2a and it said 60..he was 92. Checked at 5a and it said 300! I was all worried about a rebound so I downloaded to look at the trend and asked him to verify with meter. He was 120.

Calibrated on both readings (mostly to show the endo as we have an appt this week, didn't want them think he was going from 60 to 300 in a few hours!).

When we've had sensor issues it just won't work, shows ?? or whatever, our main issues in the beginning were adhesive issues, and it just came off.

I'm curious when you decide to yank, do you give it a day or how long?

2. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I would stop the sensor and re-start it. Worth a try?

3. KellyH

KellyH Approved members

When this happens to us I usually turn the sensor off for a significant period to time ~ half a day or overnight. Then I turn it back on like its a new sensor...it will ask you for a bg usually right away. I usually can get it to work longer using this technique. What doesn't work is when you get cal error messages when trying to calibrate and the bg number is very similar to the sensor readings. When this happens I just generally pull the sensor because I never had luck trying to get it to work after receiving this message a few times.

Hope this helps

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our copay is so high on the sensors that I don't give up easily.

I would restart.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I don't even restart. I would just wait on that sensor, given that it's brand new, and not yank it unless it's still doing that on the third day.

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I usually give it a day. If it's within a week old and still doesn't work I call Dexcom and have them replace it. If it's more than a week and doesn't work within a day, I yank it and replace.

Had to do that today, but the sensor made it 16 days, so that was okay!

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

One thing we've started doing is to insert a new sensor at night while the old sensor is still running. In the morning, we switch the transmitter over to the new sensor and pull the old one. This improves first-day accuracy about a billion percent. I don't know if that's possible with the Dex or not, but I highly recommend it.

After the first day, if we get numbers that far off, I probably will restart it once and then pull it. But we never get false highs, and if we get false lows that aren't caused by laying on it, it's a sure sign that the sensor is dying.

8. zatff

zatff Approved members

When to replace sensor?

I usually put in three BG values over three hours and if it still is NOT getting close to meter readings I might try stopping sensor or even shut down of sensor but if these all fail to produce some usable readings i give up and replace the sensor. This whole process might take four to six hours. If it is at night I might wait till morning to replace it. I think it is sort like infusion sets, if they are going to work they generally work quickly and they aren't going to work they usually don't. When the sensor has been in awhile and stops giving good readings i usually replace it after second time it stops working well.

When to replace depends upon your patience and tolerance for a non working unit and how many you have in stock. (smile)