- advertisement -

CGM - Medtronic vs. Dexcom Customer Service

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Apr 10, 2013.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Has anyone one else been amazed at the difference in customer service for the CGM between Medtronic and Dexcom? I used to dread calling Medtronic's Helpline because we went through endless questions that after while I had memorized, and their suggestions usually ended up being that I hadn't taped the sensor probably and that it was wicking in and out of the interstatial fluid. At least 1/2 of the people seemed to be of the opinion that Helpline meant "Blame the parent". I often wondered if they were trying to delay past the 3 day mark.

The other day I called Dexcom because we'd had problems with uncomfortable drops in BG with the sensor 50-60 points behind. I was immediately told to pull the sensor and they'd replace it. No talking points about interstatial fluid, taping, etc. "That's a sensor problem." I couldn't believe how quickly I was off the phone with a realistic solution (it seems to have done the trick) to our problem.

2. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

I have to say I have had GREAT service with Medtronic ... they have replaced sensors and even replaced our transmitter without question. I also have great service regarding our pump.

Its too bad that you did not have a good experience as well.

3. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

See I would say we have had the exact reverse of your experience, with Dexcom blaming the way we put in the sensor, or where it was at, and Medtronic quickly fixing any problems

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I've never used Medtronic, but we had to call into Dexcom the other night (Saturday) and was very pleased with the level of service. We had at most a 5-7 minute wait and rep was very nice and helpful.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I had an extremely difficult time with Dexcom getting the actual Dexcom. But I wrote a letter to the CEO got an immediate response, then a call from the VP and an email apology so I'm quite happy with them. Things do go wrong but they were very quick to apologize and rectify the situation.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

Totally. Just a world of difference.

7. minniem

minniem Approved members

We used both, and while we have no complaints from Medtronicl, Dexcom was a step above last time we called. And since we just started the Dex a couple of weeks ago, we just had someone call "just to see how we were doing"...never got that call from Medtronic.:cwds:

8. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

I have found with Medtronic that if I deal only with my rep, things get taken care of very fast and very friendly. Of course, I have told her at 2am that Animas was looking very good to me after someone on the Medtronic "No Help Whatsoever" line actually hung up on me.

9. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Same here. I've called Medtronic for many reasons - cgm, pump, ordering, samples, insurance questions, MySentry... and no complaints. I've had a great phone call every time.

In defense of people who have been on the receiving end of a complaint call, you normally would ask the standard questions. For example whenever anyone complains about their computer or phone, the very first thing I say, without even thinking about it, is "Did you try restarting it since the problem", "Did you clear your (whatever depending on the electronic)". There are too many people that can't do the basics first, and need to be reminded. So then when people who don't need those questions get asked them, like most people on this board, we get annoyed.

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I really do think it is an individual basis type thing. It is interesting seeing the different responses people have had between the two. I have had nothing but good experiences with Medtronic. Dexcom hasn't been bad, just subpar to me. Unlike those the have received follow up calls from Dexcom, I never have. On the other hand, I have received quite a few check up calls from Medtronic since I upgraded to the Revel(both from local employees, and the main hub itself). I had a really good candid conversation with a local medtronic rep comparing the Dexcom and their CGMS. She found it quite interesting to hear, and was very positive about my use of the Dex(and said SHE can't wait for the new Enlite as she uses the current sof sensor).

I wonder why there can be such a fluctuation within the same companies.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

On Medtronic, we went through SIX weeks of hassles because of a bad transmitter while I continued to be told I wasn't taping carefully. Once I demanded a new transmitter, all issues suddenly resolved. Six weeks out of a six month warranty is a significant period of time to be dealing with hours daily of lost contact. Our Medtronic rep is top-notch, and if the whole company were like him, it would be phenomenal. Instead, I find myself frustrated virtually every time I have to call in.

Dexcom replaced our receiver immediately when the USB door got caught and broke off. Anytime I've called with concerns, they've replaced the sensor without hassle.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

I'm another one! Usually with MM, all I have to say is I am not comfortable with the ... (fill in the blank - accuracy, battery life, stuck button) and they replace it. I felt, that while great customer service, I had to jump through more hoops with Dex over what ended up being a bad lot of sensors.

13. tfb

tfb New Member

Dexcom Customer Service is awful

I would not recommend Dexcom to anyone. The product itself is okay, but I could not be more dissatisfied with their customer support. It is very difficult to get someone on the phone when there is a problem. Just an endless loop of waiting, leaving a call back number, and then, if you can't talk 12 or so hours later when the call back, starting the process all over again.

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Unfortunately, this has become the way it is when one tries to reach the customer services department of pretty much any organization. Unless they happen to have a 24/7 customer service line and you call at the butt-crack of dawn or the middle of the night. Or you're lucky, as in "I just won the lottery" lucky. As I write this, I am on hold with a health insurance company which shall remain nameless but whose initials rhyme with "NO" "TEA" "STRESS." Luckily, my work phone can be placed on speaker phone hold, granting me the nearly unbearable pleasure of working on endless piles of paperwork while I listen to the same "classical jazz" riff repeat itself endlessly while it indelibly etches its timeless notes into the recesses of my hippocampus. I have just broken a personal record: after being transferred no less than 3 times, I am now the 54th person in the queue. I am in a determined kind of a mood today, so no thank you, I will not press "3" so someone can return my call later when I am no longer at my office.

Dexcom's customer service does not even come close to this level of unbelievably but all too common poor service. Yes, they ask you a million questions and then ask you to try several dozen potential "trouble-shooting fixes" (that you have likely already tried more than once) before they will replace a sensor or transmitter or receiver. But I have never spoken with a Dexcom rep who was anything but polite and (at least to me) genuinely apologetic for the time I spent on hold. Several of these kind Dexcom folks are themselves diabetic or are "Type 3's" (those who care for a loved one with diabetes), so they "get it." And I have to disagree with your comment "The product itself is okay,..." Okay? OKAY? Try "game-changing", "wonderful", "sanity-saving", "sleep-granting" and/or "effing amazing". Dexcom is, IMHO, one of the best things to come along for PWD, second only to insulin itself.

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I have had very comparable experiences with both companies. Generally, we have no problems with either, but every once in a while we have wound up with someone who wants to prove us wrong at all costs.

Laughing about being put on hold listening to the same music over and over. To order Dexcom supplies in Canada you have to go through Animas, and when you call them and get put on hold, you get put on a thank-you-for-your-patience and music loop that cannot be more than 45 seconds long. The average supply re-order seems to involve listening to the same 30 seconds of new age muzak for at least 10 minutes!

16. dpr

dpr Approved members

It's amazing the different expierences everyone has with the 2 companies. Unfortunately it comes down to dealing with people which is the one variable. Personally I have had nothing but incredible service from both companies and have had both bend over backwards to help me. I highly recommend both.
    With Dexcom sensors problems if your like most of us that get well over the 7 day warranty and have a big stash of them do you still ask for warranty sensor if one dies during the first 7 days?