- advertisement -

"CGM in the Cloud" - How many are there of us here?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Chaser

Chaser Approved members

We are up and LOVE IT!

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

My phone just started alarming that dd's bs was low. I just called home to make sure dh was on it. He was about to wake her and give her a gluc tab. I LOVE having bs on the cloud and can't wait for school to start. I don't want to call dd to ask what her bs is--I want to already know. This is huge. It's what I've wanted since dd was dx 8 yrs ago.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Waiting on our Amazon delivery today. I choose a Boost Moto G and a right angle USB OTG cable. I will probably authorize it on Ting for data only.

We intend to use this as a crossover to full independence, hopefully. He's 14 and we need to let go more than we have and I think this can really help. It may also reduce the MOM!!!! moments like when we are at the amusement park and we want to know what the Dexcom is reading. Unfortunately, we have had relatively few overnights because we just aren't close enough to his friends' parents to burden them with overnight care. This can help. I think this will allow us to let out quite a bit more line and it's probably more for us than him. We'll see. Fingers crossed for an uneventful rollout this evening.

As for the concerns, we're not relying on this technology we are using it to supplement the information we already rely on. I have no intention to enable any of the alarms at this point.

EDIT: Add us to the list!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. denise3099

https://zb1n5q2qje7.ting.com/ If you use this link to ting you will get $25 off. With ting you sign up and pay 6 bucks per device and then you pay for whatever you use, so you pay nothing for text and minutes if you don't use any. You pay by "chunk" of data so it's 3 bucks for the first 100mb, etc. Only mentioning it because the price guide makes it look like you have to sing up for a particular plan but really it's just to show what you pay depending on what you use. I signed on for cgm but it was so cheap I switched all our phones. It's sprint thgouh so be sure you have coverage in your area. Oh, and I just noticed that you can actually turn off the ability to make/receive calls and texts on the phone through the ting site, so you don't accidentally get texts or wrong numbers and end up having to pay.

5. denise3099

We just set up the pebble watch. I LOVE it. But as always, there is no substitute for direct care. Yesterday I see she's low. Fine I call, she's eating gluc. No problem. But she keeps dropping. So I call back. She's 58. My pebble is vibrating like it's having a seizure, or trying to thrill me. Where's dad, dd? I don't know. Fine. I call dh's cell. No answer. Home phone. No answer. ds's cell. No answer. Meanwhile as I'm driving home ready to wrap my car around a tree, pebble is showing 54. I've got two cells and a watch monitoring bs, and two ppl at home with 3 phones and I can't get help anywhere. Now dd was sitting on the sofa eating gluc tabs so she was treating, but still. Finally I get through. dh was in the shower, ds was in his room. dh said he had her check before showering and she was a little low so he had her eat gluc. She was too upset to find him when she really started to tank. I screamed them all stupid. Sigh. Then I bought them some chocolate from Trader Joe's on the way home. New rules regarding bs/showering/carry8ng cells in pockets/leaving house ocrdless phones on the thing so you can find them when they ring and they are always charged.

I call it Fun with D. :p

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I did not notice this! Thanks for the tip - I ended up making the test call when I set the phone up and that cost me $3 for one ring...

7. denise3099

Call them up and tell them you made the test call as recommended and can they credit you the 3 bucks back. When they see that you turned off the calling capability they won't have a problem refunding it. The number is 855 846 4389.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Okay, I know this wasn't a funny situation, but this made me laugh like a loon. :)

I'm glad everything turned out okay. Best-laid plans and all....

9. denise3099

I see what you did there. :tongue:

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I was at work last week and my pebble had a huge freak-out, sitting my office telling it to please stop. Crap how do I turn it off? starting to think if I should toss it in the freezer or sit on it? to try to muffle it, but that would be TOO weird if someone walked in!!!

I remembered someone posting a pic of pressing all 3 large buttons to reboot it, that worked.

11. denise3099

Is that a pebble in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

12. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

I really want to set this up too but we only have iphones. :(

13. denise3099

You buy a phone that will be used just solely to be connected by a short cord to the dex receiver. The moto g is on sale right now at target for 60 bucks. The cord may cost another 5. Data goes from dex to moto g to the internet. Then you can access it from ANYWHERE in the whole world! From your iphone, ipad, laptop, xbox, wii, or any other way you can get online. You keep your iphone like always but instead of just getting weather and directions from your iphone, you can get bs numbers! it's worth doing for 65 bucks. You can set up the moto g with a data plan from ting for 9 bucks per month or just use your house wifi. there's just no downside.

14. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

Thanks! I hope this is easy to set up. I'm just sort of debating whether to get my 101/2 year old son a phone anyway to text/call me with questions when he's away.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

IMO this "phone" for NightScout isn't a Phone ... it's an android device for $80. I would not try to use it for other purposes.

16. denise3099

it's true that as it is always plugged in to the dex port, it's kind of limited or inconvinient to use as a regular phone. On the other hand it would be fine for occasional use if need be and you can certainly hold it for texting bg to mom. It's basically just connected to the dex with a cord, so it's not like you'd want to play candy crush on it with your dex dangling along side but you can still use it. The boost moto g is on sale at target for 60 bucks. And I think target will take it back within 30 days even if it's open. The new instructions on the facebook page are taking ppl an hour to set up. the cord might cost another 5. For 65 bucks and an hour of your time you can have your kid's bg available online. So worth it. The moto g can use wifi or you can set up a data/phone plan with ting. (It's so cheap I put all our phones on it.)I turned off the call service on the moto g since I didn't want it ringin in school but left o the text and data so dd can text me numbers if she needs help. It's not like she'd be swinging the phone/dex combo all over the school so it should be fine. I say TRY it. You ain't married to it.

17. bamaboyd82

bamaboyd82 Approved members

We're Clouding, as of two days ago! And we're thrilled!!! I've been on hospital bed rest for six weeks now, awaiting our fourth child, and it is SUCH a relief to be able to watch my son's BG values and call his caregiver when I see an issue. She's watching too, of course, but she also has two other children needing her attention and not as much experience with D care. This is huge for us!

18. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We are up and running as of two hours ago. Our son is at a friend's house down the street, and I was able to text the mom to have him drink a juice box bc he was going low. Love this!!

19. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

I am going to bring our "rig" and my Pebble to tomorrow's JDRF coffee meeting 9/3/14 at Heine Bros, Shelbyville Road, Louisville, if anyone wants to see one. I'm no expert but do have ours up and running.

20. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We just got set up on CGM in the cloud last weekend. DS has had it at school for just the past four days, and it's already proven worth the effort. This morning, I noticed DS's blood sugars were between 250 and 300 and not coming down. I contacted the nurse (she has the website running on her computer, but doesn't check it as often as I do!) and asked her to check his ketones. Blood ketones were 2.0 - yikes!! She gave an injection right then, and I went to school to change out his site. Not sure we would have caught it until a few hours later if not for the cloud. #wearenotwaiting