- advertisement -

CGM first, then pump later?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by greenpalm, Mar 27, 2013.

1. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I really want a CGM for Eleanor, and I may or may not want a pump at some time in the future. Is that weird? Do other people do it that way? Thanks.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

A lot of us have pumps and then got a cgms because a cgms was available back when we started pumping.

The trend is towards integrating the cgms with the pump but for now you can certainly by them separate. There is nothing wrong with getting a cgms first - I highly recommend it - and we have been very happy with our Dexcom.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

No reason why you can't do it. The Dexcom is a stand alone unit. It is an incredibly useful and helpful tool. It has given me an incredible peace of mind for when my daughter is off on her own.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

What Carol says is true for so many of us, CGM just didn't exist first for us.

With the new G4 I would 100% tell people to get it whenever they want. IMO it's something that should be part of a normal hospital training. I"m not sure how any of us managed without it.

5. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

I wanted a CGM the minute I knew they existed. I think they can help with control so much better.

6. Beach bum

Agreed. In a perfect world, it would be as common as a BG meter. The fact that there are nights when I can just roll over, look at the CGM and decide what to do and have an idea of what her body is doing is incredible. Don't get me wrong, there are still nights when we physically have to get up and go do a BG check, but the number definitely has decreased. Love the fact that we can catch many lows before they happen is fantastic, same with highs.

7. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Yeah. I told our pediatrician, "I want it yesterday."

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I assume most people choose the convenience of a pump over the benefits of CGM, if they can't afford both. So "most people" pump first, but there is certainly nothing wrong with having different priorities. I'm sure you're not the only parent considering CGM on Mdi.

Also, some endos don't recommend CGM for younger kids. And, it is probably less common than pumping because it is a newer technology.

9. William

William Approved members

Yes, we wanted a cgm first. We were able to get one about two months after diagnosis (we had to provide a months worth of BG logs to the insurance company as evidence that our son has had lows (they had to see a couple in the 40 range to approve it even though he was only 14 months at the time). The Dexcom was of immediate value in our care.

We weren't sure about the pump, having to be connected all the time and wear a spibelt but we soon realized the pump would benefit our son. We got the pump about 6 weeks later.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If my second DD is ever Dx'ed with T1D then it will be a CGM and untethered pumping like her sister.

The ability to set basals and fine tune I:C and ISF is so important at first. Being able to figure out if that low during dance class that took her out was a low that rebounded to an insane number or adrenaline induced, or even the fact that I bolused the ballet bag and not her for that snack in the car. (yup did that, several times)

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just to give the flip side of the coin, my teenager would choose pump over CGM, I have to beg him to use his cgm and he usually does only before an endo visit.

Pump gives him eating flexibility and refined night time basals which allows him to wake up in range. To him these are priorities. CGM for him is just another hassle.

If I had a younger child I know I would feel as you all do, I think CGM is the best thing since sliced bread, I adore it! But him, not so much.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And too, we ( for the most part) don't have to wear it.

Maybe I harp too often on this point, but it can't be fun to have to deal with a cgm site ( the dex in particular strikes me as clunky, though not as awkward to tape as the mm). To remember that it's there when you bathe, or that it makes a strange lump under clothes or is showing some not so nice looking curling adhesive edges there on the back of the arm. Obviously, it is what it is, but what it is, while a great tool, isn't without a burden that we can't really know.

13. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I started pumping right away and then started CGMing as soon as my parents were able to afford the system (this was back in 2005 I believe, when it was close to impossible to get insurance coverage so my parents had to save up for it).

I think it would be fine to get the CGM before the pump. One thing to remember though is that your daughter may not see much of a direct benefit from the CGM at the age of 6 since hopefully she isn't stressing about highs or lows. And while dealing with it is more annoying then actually wearing it in my opinion is just something to consider. I do think there are a ton of benefits to starting it at a young age though. Most of the kids in college that I have met with type 1 don't use a CGM because of the psychological aspect of the second site (I think I am the only non athlete diabetic using one at my school). I would guess if you started it younger it would feel like a part of your body (like my pump feels like) rather then a foreign appendage.

I would check with your daughter though about the pump. It would have a very direct benefit for her (less shots!). I can't tell from your post if you are uncomfortable with the idea of the pump or just not ready for it and either is fine. But at the end of the day even though she is 6 it is your daughter's diabetes and I think that if you are getting the CGM for your piece of mind it might be nice for her to get the pump if she wants it. There is nothing wrong with doing shots but for me at least having a pump (and cgm) makes diabetes a much much smaller part of my life.

14. Beach bum

Agreed. This is the one thing my daughter has complained about, the fact that the sensor bumps up through her favorite shirts and kills the look:eek:
    We definitely are in the honeymoon phase here and I am more in love with it than she is. I know we will hit a point where she won't want to wear it. I am ok with that. It is probably why each time we go for a study visit they ask questions about wearing it. They let her know she could stop at any time, but when she does, the $$$ she's getting for the study stops:eek: It will be interesting to see at the end of the 2 years how she will still feel about it.

15. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Yes, this. Honestly, we've had the G4 now for about a month. Hana is the one who pushed for it. I went with her lead and thought it would be helpful. She hates it. Maybe because she already wears a pod and it is similar to that (though smaller, it is still stuck on her body 24/7)? Either way, she rarely has it with her. I mean she brings it to school obviously and it has been good as far as catching lows, etc., at home, she pays it no mind. I kind of thought she would have it with her all the time, in her pocket or something. Not the case. Right now she is upstairs and the G4 is sitting on the island in the kitchen. I'm the only one looking at it. Which is fine. I can manage it for her when she is home with me. But there have been times over the past 4 weeks where she has asked not to put on a new sensor. She complains about the sensor changes (not because they hurt or anything though) where she never complains about her POD.
    Oh well, it is what it is. If she decides she absolutely doesn't want to wear it, I'm fine with that. We got along for 3 years without it.

16. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've had sort of the opposite with the GGM. She's 17 and she asked for it. She LOVES it. Wouldn't be without it. It's like her cell with her every waking moment. I take the receiver at night.

She also wears the pods and they don't really bother her a lot either. She wears them on her arms so they're always visible. The CGM she wears on her love handles so there's a bit of a bump there but she pretty much ignores it. They're like her glasses just there all the time.

17. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

We did- we started the CGM in month 3 and the pump in month 5. Our original endo office did not recommend, and even discouraged us from getting the cgm. My son was constantly in the verge of a low- his first A1C after dx (3 mos in) was 5.8- just to show how many lows he was having- and he was still struggling to identify feeling them before he was scary low. You are not the only one who wants to or has done it this way.

18. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You have more diabetes experience than we do, but leave yourself open to going back to tethered rather than untethered as puberty nears. We had - looking back - a fairly calm year post-diagnosis before puberty hit and it's been an insane rollercoaster ever since. We literally go from 2.4 units per hour to .89 units per hour in the blink of an eye sometimes. The temp basals are the absolute best and safest way to keep our kids safe through this IMO. We are constantly running temp basals. Lantus, even for a pump failure, scares me after the plunges I've seen. We've literally used 15 units TDD to 65 TDD in one week...and back down.

19. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is pretty much our experience, more so now with G4 rather than Medtronic. She tells me "It's YOUR device, Mom" or refers to it as "Dumb-dumb" but when push comes to shove, she doesn't like to be without it. The adult T1s she respects wear CGM, so she sees it in those she looks up to, and she also knows how much better she feels because of how safely we can react with temp basal increases and decreases.

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We are currently looking at the new smaller PODs and at the Tandem t:slim pump. So no we are not opposed to going back to tethered. My second dd is only going to be 5 so I do take that into account when I say she would get the CGM first and do untethered.