- advertisement -

CGM during surgery?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, May 20, 2014.

1. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I am a nurse and all pts dx w/DM1 or 2 are always monitored. even non-D pts are checked b/c of corticosterids, etc. If we get pts with pumps, we always set it up that they can use them. We have a diabetes team that consults for all T1s. Not all non-endo nurses are ignorant about pumps. I happen to have a son with a pump so I educate my colleagues when the necessity arises. Diabetes and insulin needs are taken very seriously where I work.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

BTW, how is your dear daughter doing now (almost one week post-tonsillectomy)?

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks for asking! It's been up and down. I'm hoping we're getting through the worst of the recovery and that she will be getting closer to her normal self this weekend.

She's in constant moderate pain, and we're alternating tylenol and advil every 3 or 4 hours. Ice cream and posicles are 2 of only 4 foods she will eat (in addition to rice and grapes), so her bgs have been fluctuating quite a bit. We usually limit both, and especially ice cream, because we've never found the right extended bolus for it. Ice cream sometimes causes mild lows followed by delayed highs, which is just an incredibly frustrating pattern to treat. Especially since we're without the Dexcom due to Tylenol intake!

Dad and I are pretty exhausted. We're doing at least two overnight pokes, and she's also waking us up a couple of times a night in pain and asking for medicine or ice water. But, she did ask to go to a play area yesterday after days of vegging in front of cartoons, so I do think we're close to out of the woods. So hopefully only a night or two more of this!