- advertisement -

Celiac, hives from contamination?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The big red spots are back on Kaylee.. but these ones are a bit different, they aren't perfectly round, they are blotchy and have welts.. they aren't necessarily together, she's got a big patch on her belly, another one on her side, under her arm, and some on her back, they are very itchy... we are wondering if she could get hives from gluten contamination?

I know I should post this in celiac, but this place gets more traffic..

2. Flutterby

here are some pictures I took.. in the first picture, the red spot down at the bottom is where I just pulled a site. Sorry they are kind of blurry.. I did the best I could.. you can't really see it in the pictures, but the middle of each spot is a welt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Flutterby

here are a few more.. the ones on her back have gotton bigger in a matter of minutes..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. type?girl1018

type?girl1018 Approved members

Those definitely look like hives, but i dont think you can get hives from a gluten reaction because its not an allergy and hives usually are but i could definitely be wrong. Could she maybe be allergic to some other food or product? I would try giving her benadryl if you havent already. if she gets them again i might consider allergy testing to find out if theres something causing it that could be avoided. i know from experience that food allergies and probably other allergies too can develop randomly when there were none before, so it might be worth looking into. at least in my opinion.

5. sheila

sheila Approved members

Have you switched laundry detergent, lotion, wipes, etc recently? They look like contact dermatitis to me.:confused:

6. Flutterby

nothing has been switched or changed.. no new foods either.

7. type?girl1018

type?girl1018 Approved members

I would still try benadryl and see if it helps. also, just because there arent any new foods or products doesnt necessarily mean she's not still allergic to something. i developed nut allergies when i was 16:eek:. i'm not saying its definitely an allergy, but its possible. i also got hives for no apparent reason when i was younger, maybe she is too? i would maybe ask the pedi about it.

8. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

Has she taken any new meds lately? I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic a couple of years ago and was covered with hives all over my body. Twas miserable. If she complains of the itching, the only thing that helped me was an Aveeno bath. It helped while I was actually in it anyway. Hope you get this figured out soon.

9. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

My neice (she is 12) has been getting hives like this for a few weeks.
    She gets a bynadril when they start up, she is one an antibiotic and other things the last few weeks, the hives keep coming back. My sister is washing everything is All or Cheer dye free stuff. The next step for them is to see the allergist to see what is going on.

My neice has been miserable since these started. When I saw her last week they had spread all around her stomach and back and were covering her behind.

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

give benadryl ASAP, if you have zantac, give that too (one is a h1 and one a h2 histamine blocker, they help eachother out)
    Make an apt with an allergist too. If nothing else, you can rule out allergies.

Hives *can* be an indicator of a serious allergy, often allergies just appear after years of eating the food with no problems. Sometimes they mean absolutely nothing---hoping thats the case for you.

How are the bg? Wondering if they would raise with an allergic reaction?

11. Flutterby

her bg was high BUT I believe that was from her dinner (these were there before dinner).. the spots are still there, although not as big.. it seems the redness around it is gone but the welt is still there.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I would definitely write down everything she ate when you noticed they had appeared (from the past 2 days or so). If nothing else, do it again the next time they appear. SEe if there is a correlation.

13. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

Both Sandy and my dh get these. Don't know why. They just show up daily for a week or 2, then go away for months. Dh thinks stress triggers it. Their endos had no answer for us. Give Benadryl, it helps termendously. Interestingly, Sandy never got these pre-D.

14. Flutterby

while doing some research about these spots on line last night I read something about them being autoimmune responses, there was something about addison's disease being dx after these spots appeared (no idea if it was the 'same' spots or not.. They believe they were hives, I believe what Kaylee has is hives).. so there was some suggestion (don't beileve there is any scientific study though) that hives that you can't find the answer too, could be another autoimmune issue coming to light.. I can't think of anything different that we've done, and nothing was the same (that I can remember) about the last time they showed up.. she has an endo appointment on wednesday, I'll be sure to bring it up then..

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I found this:
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/health/topics/Hives.html
    and this:
    http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C536845.html
    but I also found this:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/7066.asp
    So perhaps it's just another of those weird situations where one autoimmune disease makes it more likely that you'll get others? In any case, testing for thyroid seems likely.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Oh Kim, how lousy. Are they painful?

I know you and hubby are so on the ball about making sure she isn't exposed to anything, but were you anywhere this weekend that she could have come in contact with (like soap at someones house)?

Hope it's just hives, nothing else.

17. sam1nat2

hives are an autoimmune response to something, what that something is, you may never know.

Another thing to consider is strep. That has been the way that Sam has presented with strep, often about a week after a sore throat. He was not sick, he had hives and said that "the rubber bands in his fingers" hurt. Sure enough it was strep, and definitely not the typical strep rash.

18. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

interesting. my dd 10, had a severe red rash, like a sunburn all over her body a few months before her hypothyroid dx. the pedi thought she had had a severe allergic reaction and gave her benadryl and steroids:(
    I would definitely call pedi. Did she have any more symptoms?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  19. Flutterby

I brought Kaylee to the dr today.. they told me she has eczema.. WHAT??? I don't believe it for a minute.. it looks NOTHING like eczema, they are still huge welts, although the redness has gone away around it, but the welts themselves are still red, some of them she's scratched so much she broke the skin. I was told to get cortisone cream and benadryl, so I did, but they welts are still there.. I have eczema, as well as my mom.. Kaylee's got it on other parts of her body, it looks NOTHING like whats going on now. The other things she said it could be is that she's seen kids (2 others today) with hives from a virus.. but because Kaylee has NO signs of a virus she doesn't think thats it..

we did eat at McD's yesterday, so there is a possible of gluten contamination any time we eat there..

I know that Kaylee has a higher risk of having hypothyroid problems because she has both D and Celiac, give her a higher risk of having hypothyroid problems (from what her dr said the combination of D and C trigger the thyroid issues..) off to read about that now.. she has an endo appointment Wednesday... I'm going to ask her what she thinks.. not that I want K to suffer anymore, but I hope there is a welt or two left so she can look and not just hear me describe it:D

thanks everyone for your thoughts and doing some reseach for me:D

20. sam1nat2

I think that there is gluten in McD's.

As for excema, Natalie broke out in what looked like hives and I was also told excema---looked nothing like it. It did however turn out to be excema later on in the more traditional sense.
    Still doesn't sound like that though.

Try to stay away from researching this online, you are just going to drive yourself crazy with worry.

Don't drs realize that with D kids we pretty much can tell by BG when they are fighting a virus???????????? :rolleyes: