- advertisement -

Celiac disease in CWD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Thornbird, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

How did I miss this until just now?

My DS's endo just told me they'll test him for celiac at his 1 year diagnosis anniversary appointment. ("happy anniversary!" :()

Ugh. I can't even handle thinking about this. DS is already allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts... if he gets celiac, what will the poor kid eat?? Plus, he's already a picky toddler. Lord, have mercy.

My question to anyone who knows, is: is there some sort of known time frame as to when Celiac disease will usually occur after D diagnosis? Like, does one usually get it within X amount of years? I Googled this a bit but couldn't find anything too helpful.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

There is no guideline or time frame. If it happens, it happens. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, nor is there any way you caused it. I wouldn't borrow worry, kwim? Yes - T1's have a higher chance of getting Celiac Disease, but the majority of T1's do not have celiacs.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This^^^

mts

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I used to worry about this quite a bit too, until I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't change anything. It would just mean that I'd be stressed and unhappy instead of just living our life and dealing with things as they come.

Statistics say there's a 90% chance that your child will NOT get celiac. Those are good odds. :)

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The diabetes doesn't cause the celiac. It's just common risk factors. Celiac is often diagnosed before the diabetes, in kids who have both.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Typically celiac is diagnosed within the first two years of t1 diagnosis...but that does not mean it can't be diagnosed at anytime. T1 does not cause celiac, they are diggers for each other....some kids are diagnosed with celiac before t1. Most people have one or the other.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Either one can come first. Celiac may be difficult combined with food allergies, however celiac has no serious / anaphalactic reaction like with food allergies, so it's really just a matter of avoiding a couple of foods such as wheat-based breads, pastas, and soy sauce. These are all available in alternate versions made with other types of ingredients that taste similar to the wheat-based versions.

8. Thornbird

Thornbird Approved members

Thanks... was looking for that "typically" sort of stat. Couldn't find it on the web. (Although I realize anything could or couldn't happen). :eek: