- advertisement -

Celiac and diabetes?????

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by DonnaMM, Nov 11, 2011.

1. DonnaMM

DonnaMM New Member

Ok so I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but I was diagnosed with celiac about a year ago and I am getting nervous about some new symptoms that I am having. When I get my blood checked which is every three months or so (and I always fast 12 hours) my glucose is between 90-110. My FBS use to be about 50-60. I am also having problems focusing on like clocks or other distant objects. I have also been eating so much it's like any food I eat is absorbed right away and I have hunger pains like no other. I also drink a lot more and pee like tens times a day and up about three times a night to pee. My endo who I see for my thyroid does not seem concerned but I am. I know there is a correlation between type 1 diabetes an celiac ( i am 24) do you think I should push the issue thanks!

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm not a doctor or any thing, but I would sugest you buy a cheap meter at a drug store and test yourself a couple times, like two hours after you eat, that sort of thing. if you find that your numbers are high then tell your doc, if their fine then enjoy your peace of mind. by the way I" don't think 110 is very high, you really should be under 100 but if you were a little sick, or stressed then it would raise your bg a bit.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

For a fasting blood sugar number, the 110 is on the high side of normal, but it is close to normal. I'd do as already suggested and get a blood glucose monitor and begin testing my morning FBS, as well as my BGs one and two hours after eating.

Taken from WebMD.com:
    Blood glucose Fasting blood glucose:
    70-99 milligrams per deciliter (3.9-5.5 mmol/L)

2 hours after eating (postprandial):
    70-145 mg/dL (3.9-8.1 mmol/L)

Random (casual):
    70-125 mg/dL (3.9-6.9 mmol/L)

Did your doctor also do a urine test? If you're spilling sugar, there'd be more cause for concern. Did he run the diabetes antibody tests?

4. krisbornreed85

krisbornreed85 Approved members

The two do go hand in hand, but doesnt happen to every diabetic or every celiac. But there is always the concern. Thyroid is common in diabetes too. I would like suggested test your glucose on occasion. Also have you had an a1C drawn? Thats a 3 month average of your glucose. That may help provide some answers. And see an eye doctor to have those eyes checked. Make sure nothing serious is going on. You are too young to have eye problems.

5. DonnaMM

DonnaMM New Member

Thanks for all your advice. I tested my urine and there was no glucose ketones yes but i have a lot of food allergies and don't eat much so that's normal for me. I ended up going to my PCP just to have him check me out and he did an ECHO and found out its actually my heart that is causing all these problems. Apparently I am near heart failure from a certain chemotherapy drug I received when I was 18. So that is just fantastic

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I'm sorry to hear all that you are going through. I hope you get some good medical attention to deal with this new issue. Take good care.