- advertisement -

Caution about kids correcting while sleepy...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

So, I went to check Coco before going to work this am - she was 186, so I asked her to correct. She was bleary eyed and still half asleep...at 13, she hates for me to take her pump, so I let her correct...

2 hours later, while I am at work, she wakes up feeling low and is 36. Her sister helps her get her blood sugar back up, but it was very scary for all of us.

So tonight, I am looking at her pump banging my head about why she went low. Instead of correcting, which would = about 1/2 a unit, she dialed in carbs - to the tune of 300+ carbs and 25 units of insulin + the 1/2 a unit correction :eek: - then she went back to sleep.

So from now on, no more sleepy teen working the pump.

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

YIKES! Becky, How scary! I'm so glad she woke up, and her sister was there to help her out. I'm sure you heart skipped a few beats......have you picked yourself off the floor yet?!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

:eek: Oh, Becky! How frightening!

So glad she's ok, but OMG, how scary!

4. Aeagle

Aeagle Approved members

Very scary glad she is ok!!

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Wow, Becky, thats really scary!

Yesterday I was correcting Kaylee and was in the middle of something else, I put in 217 as her carbs rather than her bg, when it got to the estimate screen I freaked out when it said 12.5u.. holy crap! Then I realized my mistake.. we have a max bolus of 5u for this reason. That mistake doesn't just happen to sleepy teenagers but busy parents. I'm so glad her sister was there to help her out. Very scary!

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Thank goodness her sister was there to help - you must have been so scared at work. Glad things turned out okay!

And thanks for posting, I'll now be sure to double check Bobby's work anytime I'm getting ready to head out the door.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

You know what bugs me is this kid has bolused herself thousands upon thousands of times - and at her age and length of diagnosis - I rarely think that she needs to have her pump checked...but I am wrong. And while today did not have a disastrous outcome, it easily could have.

It always amazes me how Type 1 is like driving - one blink of an eye is all it takes to hit or miss that accident (yes -my 15 yr old did also almost kill us tonight merging onto the highway - thank.you.very.much - hence the analogy).

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Beck, Im so sorry this happened:( But very thankful that she is all right

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Scary! I'm so glad she's OK. Thanks for the heads up...

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is the kind of stuff that just scares the crud out of me. BOTH events!

I know my kid won't magically change when he leaves my house and goes to college or wherever he lands after graduation. He'll still be groggy when woken, and I just pray he doesn't make these kinds of errors. I tend to look over his shoulder while he's doing middle of the night corrections but it's so easy to be in my own fog induced stupor that I'm not sure I'd even notice a huge error some nights.

I really hate diabetes. I have a feeling that when my son is gone from home he just won't do middle of the night corrections. And that scares me too. Can't win for losing sometimes with this disease.

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:( Oh no! I'm glad she's ok, but OMG! So so scary!:(

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Glad you guys came out all right, so sorry for the scare.

I totally agree with your analogy and will steal it. It's the one thing I think is so hard for people to understand, the constant vigilance needed at one level or another, and this is a good analogy because I have lots of family that do a lot of commuting so I think it will help them "get it".

13. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I'm glad everything turned out OK.:)

Does her pump have a bolus limit? Jacob's Animas pump does and it is set at 10u meaning it would alarm if a bolus was attempted that exceeded 10u. We are also strongly considering making a switch to the Revel. The bolus limit is one of the features I like with Jacob's pump. It has saved us on at least one occasion that I remember.

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

It does - but it is entirely possible that she needs that much insulin, so we have removed the limit - for example, right now her Bk. ratio is 1/8, add a big breakfast and a decent correction, and she could easily hit 20 or 25 units...

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Ugh, so scary. I have my max bolus at 8U (my I:C is 1:10 and I rarely eat 80g or more) but even if I gave that, my BG would be set up to drop over 800pts...

16. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

How scary for all of you. Glad it all turned out okay. When Reann was that age, I could not wake her up enough to correct, so I did it.

17. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We've had a couple of times when I've just caught Phillip before he was about to overbolus while half asleep. I now do any boluses when he's like this. He's too groggy to argue when I do. I also double check his BS numbers when he's half asleep as he's read them completely wrong sometimes.

Glad she was OK.

18. henrysmum

henrysmum New Member

Hi Lee, how frightening! Glad it was sorted and Coco was ok. I have had a similar scare when I corrected my sons blood sugar in the middle of the night. He was 2 1/2 years old at the time. We had corrected at similar times before and were confident the sensitivity levels were correct but thankgod I set the alarm for 1 hour later to recheck. It was 1.1mmmol which is 18 in your country . It terrified us but luckily Henry was rousable and took some hypo gel and it was managed. I have no idea why it happen. For some reason he was extra sensitive to the insulin. A lesson learned for us also. Cathy.xx