- advertisement -

'cause random diabetes polls are fun.

Discussion in 'Teens' started by emm142, Feb 27, 2009.

?

How does the lowness of your night lows compare to the lowness of your day lows?

1. Night lows are usually lower than day lows.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Day lows are usually lower than night lows.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. There isn't a huge difference between the lowness of night lows and day lows.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. I don't wake up low at night.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Something else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Okay, so, for me, I barely EVER wake up low at night. But when I do, I'm lower than I ever am during the day.

For example, the night before last I woke up in the 20s at 1AM. I've only ever gotten that low once in the day, and I still have my doubts about whether that reading was correct. But the one the other night definitely was (rechecked after food and I was still in the low 30s). A few weeks back I had a 30 in the night as well.

Does anyone else find that when they get low at night they tend to be way lower than when they're low during the day?

2. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I noticed the same thing...my night time lows tend to be way lower than lows during the day, except for twice, when I was in the 20's. Those were both during the day, and both at school...and both this year! :eek: A 28, and a 26 :eek: Not fun. But usually during the day I'll catch a low before I go under 50, except on some rare occasions. At night though, I'm usually in the low 50's, or under before I wake up...usually in the 30's/40's though...very scary. :(

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Eeep, those lows are scary. The time I saw lo on my meter during the day I think I almost passed out from shock at the number (or lack of it), let alone the lowness itself.. Haha. Anything below 50 freaks me out big time, but it's especially scary during the night to know that everyone's asleep and nobody will notice for HOURS if something happens. *shudders* The other night was a 29 and I couldn't actually stand.. I was lying on the floor just trying to drink juice and stay conscious. I still can't believe how low I have to get before I wake up, when in the day I often catch lows in the 60s!

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Yeah, lows are and can be extremely scary. And I totally agree with you- seeing the number (or LO) makes it a lot more scary, because it becomes real, ya know. Like the day I was 28 in school; I felt a little low, ya know, maybe in the 60's, but after I saw that number I felt like I was gunna fall on the floor! So i totally get that, it's all good until we see a number. :rolleyes::eek:
    Night time lows are the worst! It's the scariest thought to think that something could happen and no one would even know...And insurance companies question why we need cgms!? :eek::mad:
    I'm really sorry you had such a scary low. I'm glad you're okay now though, and you came up. I'm not sure why we take longer to wake up from a low at night, but it is a pretty scary thing to think about. Maybe a cgms could help you with these night-time lows? Thats one of the reasons I'm fighting for one, and because I really think it'll help me, ya know. I did a trial back in December and I absolutely loved the thing! Maybe you're endo could let you try one out?

It's worth a shot...Again, glad you're feeling better now! :cwds:

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Doesn't matter if its day or night. I can go ridiculously low at anytime. Lately its been 9:30-10:30 in the morning when I hit the 40's (poor teacher had to deal w/ me being 40's 4 days this week). He said "well if you're low all the time, you need to find a way to get high" lol just about died of laughter because this class is about social probs (drugs, crime, racism, discriminatation, ect). Day or night I get stubborn lows that won't come up. I think night lows seem harder because I'm tired and just woke up and I don't want to be up. I just don't like lows period. I agree with you guys that seeing the number tends to freak me out. Especially when I see 30's or less and sadly 40's are becoming a more common number.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I *wish* there was a chance of me having a CGMS, and I do mention it to the endo whenever I go, but I don't think it's going to happen. The UK seems to be sooooo far behind everywhere else on this kind of thing - I was the first kid at my practice even to get a pump! The guidelines on who qualifies for a pump on the national health service over here (we don't have individual insurance companies over here) are pretty harsh, and there aren't even any guidelines available for CGMS. ): I wish I had enough money to pay out of pocket, or something, they look sooo helpful.

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Awe!! I didn't know that. :( I'd say fight it! There is lots of information about how cgms has helped improve the lives of people living with diabetes, and I bet you could think of something great to fight it. It's worth it, and if you're up for the challenge, I'd give it a try!
    It does seem pretty harsh...you were the first one on a pump in your practice!?! Thats crazy! Our countries/states/whatever you wanna call them really need to get their acts together and learn about the benefits of these devices! Ugh...they make me so mad! :mad::(
    I've heard they are extremely helpful...I got so much info from the three days or so I wore it. It was amazing. So darn expensive though!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, it's absolutely crazy. My ped. diabetes nurse didn't know how to use one, so I had to have my pump start with an adult dietician instead, because she had been on some weekend where she wore a (saline) pump for a couple of days to try it out. I agree, they need to realise how great these things are; I mean, my A1C went from 7.8 to 6.4 in three months after getting one! Especially seeing as I'm on the MM, I wouldn't even need an extra device! :mad:

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There didn't used to be a difference for me, but I'm starting to respond to my daytime lows :p and so they're tending to be not as severe. I wake up in the 40s every now and then, though, and it usually makes me feel awesome :confused:

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

What's weird is that my BGs have never been below 80 (NEVER!) when I've woken up in the morning. The times I've had really low scary lows have always been between midnight and 2, which is also the time of night when I'm most likely to be high. Crazy D.. Ever since that low, though, I've been fighting lows after meals. Warmer weather, I expect.