- advertisement -

Cause of T1D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CJ's Mom, Oct 3, 2009.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is such a pointless thread.

Medical science is not yet advanced to the point where the cause(s) of Type 1 diabetes have been identified.

As for triggers of a specific child's diabetes, again I'm sure everyone will have their own hunches about their children - but there is no way to prove anything so it's all just speculation.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Everything about medical science starts with "speculation". If no one ever researched their hunches... now that would be stupid. ;)

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I think our trigger was the scarlett fever she had in feb 05,
    saw symptoms that summer,
    dx sept 05

4. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

my daughter had stomach flu a month before being diagnosed. and she got it coz one of my friends' visited me with her daughter who was vomiting because of stomach flu in my home..
    cant forget this that i insisted them to come to my home that particular night.

and also i had a terrible pregnancy in Switzerland..(my pregnancy was in switzerland)..i had severe hyperemesis(vomitings),and i was not even drinking water and was at home ,not hospitalised and also i was severly depressed...even suicidal thoughts hit me most of the time...
    so everyone who made me depressed,and the doctor who didn't admitt me in hospital even if i could barely get up from the bed and of course me who called the stomach flu person home, are the culprits.
    i had never heard of this disease in my 7 generations..what say about heredity?????

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

My interpretation of what I have read is that there is a genetic component to T1 and all autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune issues include allergy's, MS, ezema, asthma and others. My understanding is that a parent with an autoimmune issue can pass genes down that make their children more susceptible to autoimmune issues. Not necessarily the same ones they had.

One day they will be able to isolate and fix our defects!

6. CJ's Mom

CJ's Mom Approved members

Uh...wasn't trying to prove anything scientifically, just general conversation. :D

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Please, tell us how you REALLY feel.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't think I've ever seen a poster call another's thread "stupid". You may not like the topic ... so don't post.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow Wilf, if I would have called another thread stupid, I would have been reamed a new one and told I was mean...

10. CJ's Mom

Becky, If I would have posted what I was thinking Jeff would have banned me immediately. But, I deal with ignorant people everyday and after 16 years of LE and listening to liars, thieves, and druggies, I've learned that some people just aren't worth my time.

11. Jack's mom

Jack's mom Approved members

Wilf, you made me laugh, and sometimes with this disease, that's not an easy accomplishment. I don't think it was meant in harm, just why bother? I go round and round, especially in the wee morning hours, and it gets me nowhere, while my DH sleeps peacefully next to me. We all know kids who had vaccines, and got sick who don't have T1. Maybe they have some other crappy disease. Let's not beat up on ourselves. Hugs

12. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I never blamed myself for Reann being dx'd with Type 1, just blamed myself for not reading the signs earlier. She had been drinking and peeing a lot that summer, bu Ithought it was because of theheat and humidity. Then about a week before she was dx'd, I realized she had lost a lot of weight. I felt guilty about not catching it earler, but not about her being dx'd. I figured if it was what I fed her then all 6 of my girls would have it.

13. Ashti

Ashti Approved members

From the Abstract of a paper called "Descriptive survey about causes of illness given by the parents of children with cancer" European Journal of Oncology Nursing, Volume 12, Issue 2, Pages 134-141
    B. Matteo, B. Pierluigi (http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1462388907001019)

"Background
    When a doctor diagnoses a child's illness as cancer, parents very often react by creating wrong and unrealistic theories about the origins of their child's illness which in turn generates self-blame in the parents, who take responsibility for the disease."

This thread isn't stupid, it's human nature. So speculate all you want (but not too often for Wilf's sake), but if you find you're blaming yourself, nip it in the bud!

All I know is "It wasn't my fault!":cwds:

14. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

trigger : a virus about a month before we noticed things weren't right.
    cause: could be anything....we were told he was predisposed to it. He was also a preemie, he got the RSV vaccine when in hospital. We didn't give vitamin d supplements - could that have been it? who knows.

15. Sw33tBabi3z

Sw33tBabi3z Approved members

What I think is kind of strange is this;

My Husband and I have never been away from the kids more than a couple of hours so when he won a cruise at work we had to go for business reasons. I did not want to go for anything in the whole world! I mean, I didn't really have any clothes, anyway I also didn't feel good about leaving my then 4 and 2 y.o.. So we had to leave the kids for 3 days. First day and a half was spent with their Aunt "K" and other day and a half with their Grand Mother.

So as the ship is pulling in the third day, we finally get a signal on our crappy T-moblie from her Aunt saying she was in the hospital with the D and we were all like; "WTF????" Another messed up thing we should sue the cruise line for is that when someone tried to get in contact with us regarding this matter, the cruise line tried to charge them and I don't even think I want to get into how poor we all are!

It's just weird how it happened the one and only time we were away from them for more than a day.

16. Sw33tBabi3z

Sw33tBabi3z Approved members

Another thing;
    I've had half my thyroid removed (pre-cancerous cells growing on it) and had to be put on synthroid, I was on and off of it for a good couple of years due to lack of funds. When I got pregnant with DDD, I was taking a very low dose of synthroid faithfully. When she was born, she had jaundice and had to have light treatment for like 3 days. I also believe she had high levels of thyroid as well. None of these happened when I was pregnant with my non-D son, didn't need medication and he had no jaundice and so far so good with the D. Also, my thyroid levels have been pretty normal.

17. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I get it, I was on my Honeymoon when Seth was dx'd:(

18. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I am WAY behind here, but I'll still post. I know the "trigger" that zapped all his islets was a resp. virus he got when he was 18 months old. My 15 month old has one right now identical to the one DS had...ugh.

19. CJ's Mom

Wow, my "stupid" thread is still going.

20. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

That's cause you're on the BOD, silly.

(and yes, that was cliquey)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009